FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting spending up without the Mint
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:46 pm
yoyo

Originally Posted by captaincool
Who carries cash solely for the purpose of giving it to a mugger?

There are very rare circumstances where cash is needed instead of plastic. In those circumstances, it's usually very easy to plan ahead and bring cash that day only or stop at an ATM that is convenient

My original point was to use the CC more often and ditch the $70 in small bills. I usually have 0 cash. Some prefer to keep a couple 5s or 10s or something in the wallet. To each their own. Anything is preferable to George Costanza Syndrome
Not sure how many times were you actually mugged?

During the Northeast blackout no one could use the ATMs. I was working in NYC (downtown Manhattan) and always carried $300 in my wallet (once the bills were folded tightly they really did not take much space). The cab I stopped happened to have a full tank of gas and the driver demanded $200 cash to drive me to my home in CT (remember none of the gas station was working after the power went out). I allowed him to pick up more people but he demanded everyone he picked up to show him the cash. We ended up with 4 people in one cab. None of my neighbors who worked in the city made it home that day.

Now my job is only 10 minutes from my house I carry only $50 cash. You never know.