Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Sure, if I was a multi-millionaire, I wouldnt care about travel costs.
I bet you would. If you had 5 million and wanted to fly two people first class internationally you could be spending 1% of your net worth.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
They post as purchases, even for Citi cards. Unfortunately, LC is doing away with the option of funding an account w/ a credit card. Additionally, you cannot withdraw right away.

Originally Posted by cfuss
Has anyone tried lendingclub.com? I just read in thier faq's:

We expect the transaction to post as a purchase, but please consult with your specific card issuer as to how they will handle the charge.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
I'd go 1 step further than "Dont pay interest". If you arent making $ while earning miles/points then you are doing it wrong. Not only would I not "pay interest", I'd expect my endeavours to include a small sum of money to hit my bottom line as well as the points/miles.
Agreed completely re: “Don’t pay interest”. However, part about “making $ while earning” is what really got my attention. Would appreciate further explanation. Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Does anyone have experience buying season tickets to sporting events and re-selling them? Playoff tickets, in particular, would be above face value sell-able.
I do it all the time. I figure I spend about $20k on my season tickets (which I've had for a long time) and I resell most tickets (at face value to friends and coworkers and some at a premium). It's very handy that the teams allow you to pay by time without paying interest. Plus the discounts can be hard to beat as quality/cost is extremely important as the teams will undercut you with cheapo tickets. Last year was good with the NY Rangers but the possibility of an NHL lockout has me worried with respect to resale.

The NFL allows you to sell on NFL ticket exchange and the NHL now uses TicketsNow (not sure if it's every team or just the rangers). You can also list on stubhub or take your chances with eBay/Craigslist, which I don't. I did sign up for a PayPal here account which I haven't used yet.

If you know what you're doing you can do really well with tickets, even if you don't charge absurd premiums, but it really depends on the event and the market. Living in NYC and going to a lot of events myself makes it pretty easy for me.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by tyfabes
Lendingclub.com would require a long period of float, since I don't think you can fund your account and then withdraw immediately.
It sure would be nice to know of some banks or credit unions that allowed you to initially fund accounts with a CC. (yes I searched and only found 1)
If someone has a good one with big limits PM me and I will gladly mail you a airport lounge pass in exchange (AA or United) if that is allowed. If not allowed forget I said that
If someone does know of a good one please keep it to Private Messages so the banking Cardinals who read this don't see it and change the criteria.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
They post as purchases, even for Citi cards. Unfortunately, LC is doing away with the option of funding an account w/ a credit card. Additionally, you cannot withdraw right away.
How long does it need to stay?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: aa, spg
I used them quite a bit during the 5% AARP card days. Basically, if you don't want to lend the $ out and wait at least 36 months, they will only refund to the source of payment. So after the 5% promo ended and I cashed out, I got a bunch of $ back and had a small negative reward balance.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
But AMEX will still wanna call back for a cozy chat?
That has been my experience as well for AMEX Biz cards in the last year or so: Gold, SPG. The very first one got me quite scared. I thought it was cardinal calling.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by aba20
I bet you would. If you had 5 million and wanted to fly two people first class internationally you could be spending 1% of your net worth.
$25k first-class tickets?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dynastar
I've seen LAX-SYD on QF go for $21k each RT in F if you buy far enough in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:56 pm
xp0

JFK->HKG I think ended up being 17k one way on cathy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Today's data points:
  • 2nd AraMani EXchange card arrived, had the wrong bday on it so they wouldn't activate it & suspended it. I know I didn't fat finger that one.
  • The No Stringsattached card activation process was enough for me to say not worth the effort for what will end as a 3 week float.
  • SO called Citi to cxl her AA card this evening in hopes of a fee waiving, that was declined & was offered a no fee dividends card instead. Meh.

Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by Dynastar
Check out JFK-HKG-DPS CX F. $26k
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: Southwest RR , AA
Questions on Meeting Minimum Spend

I received an email today from Amex for Birthday gift cards with no purchase and activation fees till 11/30/2012.

How does Citi , Chase and Amex treat these purchases?

And

1. I got the Amex Hilton card with min spend of 750 in 3 months ...to maximize the points its says 6 points on super markets and drug stores. Can I buy gift cards( gas ,amazon , restaurant ) from safeway and CVS with the amex credit card card or amex gift card with out raising any flags?
I got the 2 Citi Hilton Visa Signature cards with 1500 spend on 6 months ..can i use the same trick of buying gift cards at super markets to meet n maximize the spend..

And thinking of using both the cards for paying internet and wireless at@t bills...Is there any way to prepay in advance for Comcast or At&t?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Addicted69
1. I got the Amex Hilton card with min spend of 750 in 3 months ...to maximize the points its says 6 points on super markets and drug stores. Can I buy gift cards( gas ,amazon , restaurant ) from safeway and CVS with the amex credit card card or amex gift card with out raising any flags?
I'll stick to this question, as the answer is yes. For myself, I hear diamond calling.

For some of the other questions, yes gift cards can always be bought to make spends. For your cable wireless, I'd very much suggest you get an Ink Bold/Plus if you don't already as that is where that spend should go unless you just have to put it somewhere else. 5 UR point worth much more than 6 Hilton points.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.