Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Maybe $400k is the point where I'd completely stop playing the game, and just pay for everything and not think twice. I'll always be cheap and want to get things for as little as possible .
I know people who make north of 1M and are still concerned about their mileage accrual, bonuses, etc; a penny saved is a penny earned regardless of your income.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Does anyone have experience buying season tickets to sporting events and re-selling them? Playoff tickets, in particular, would be above face value sell-able.
I'll let you know at the end of this Celtics season, since I'm a first-time STH this year. Since I plan on going to many of the games, particularly the good ones, I won't get max value as you are thinking, but I'll probably still get above face value for many of them, since the Celts sell out and my tix are good.

FTers who want to buy them, though, get them at face value.

Mike
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Maybe $400k is the point where I'd completely stop playing the game, and just pay for everything and not think twice. I'll always be cheap and want to get things for as little as possible .
I know people who make north of 1M and are still concerned about their mileage accrual, bonuses, etc; a penny saved is a penny earned regardless of your income.
I'm also lazy on some things . I'd have to figure out the point where the time spent tracking all of this and working out details wasn't worth it. But then again, even if you simply don't bother with getting absolute max values for points, and just use them instead of paying whenever convenient, it is still money saved.

Now, I need to convince someone to make use of my forest permit...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Does anyone have experience buying season tickets to sporting events and re-selling them? Playoff tickets, in particular, would be above face value sell-able.
Certainly used to do it before I got into this game when I had Minnesota Vikings season tickets. What is the question? It is a very good idea, provided the team you are working with does not tank that season.....
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Certainly used to do it before I got into this game when I had Minnesota Vikings season tickets. What is the question? It is a very good idea, provided the team you are working with does not tank that season.....
I wouldn't want to sell those tickets this year or have had to sell them last year. Well the two games they play the Packers you could sell them to Green Bay fans
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by NatasNJ
I learned while traveling on points/miles/free hotel stays, that the cost to stay at some places is INSANE to me.

For example. I stayed two nights at the Carmel Highlands Hyatt. Nice hotel. Amazing views. But overall not that nice. The room itself was a bit dated. The balcony had great views but the road below was LOUD which sucked. Now if you told me that room was $120/night then fine. Hell for $200 a night I would say it was pricey but possibly worth it. The room if I paid for it was $639/night + tax. ...! No way was it worth that much. Not even half that. No way!!!

So even if I had a ton of money I would not spend $639/night for that hotel. No way.
I just don't see the value there. Thank you Hyatt CC for $1200+ in free hotel rooms.

Similar hotels in major metro area business centers charge $300-$500 a night commonly and then offer the same room on weekends for $89 when all the business travelers fly home.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I wouldn't want to sell those tickets this year or have had to sell them last year. Well the two games they play the Packers you could sell them to Green Bay fans
Wish I could argue, but sadly I can't. This will be an interesting season for the Vike's. It is the type of team that could either surprise people, or be completely horrible, not much in between.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
A few years later..well, FT and I signed up for rewards on my single credit card and the 1000 miles/$1 on 800 Flowers.
Was there really a deal like that? If not, what's the most miles/points per $ that you've ever seen through a shopping offer/portal?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but for a different reason. If your income allows you to buy (for example) a pair of premium cabin airline tickets you are spoiled, and don't want to fly in economy the next trip. You do the math and realize that you cannot afford to regularly buy such tickets, and that the experience does not really justify the price. The search begins .
Absolutely agree.

Originally Posted by mia
We have friends who do the other part of the math, conclude that they cannot generate sufficient miles, give up, and fly economy.
They shouldn't. Anyone has good credit and a reasonable sense of self-discipline should take advantage of the CC offers. It is the sign up bonuses, not the spend, that generate the miles needed for the majority of folks.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Was there really a deal like that? If not, what's the most miles/points per $ that you've ever seen through a shopping offer/portal?
Would I lie to you, now would I say something that wasn't true, I'm asking you honey if....oops I see I had an extra zero in there

Still, for $1k I got a year of gifts AND roundtrip TATL in J. If I knew what I know now....eBay.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Haven't thought of that song for a looooong time!

100 miles/$ is still amazing. Best I've every heard of.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:38 pm

Google Wallet app update - make an Amex look like a Mastercard (in-store only)

Google just released an update to their wallet app for Android phones:

"Add your Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express to your Google Wallet and use them for in-store purchases anywhere Google Wallet is accepted. If you already have an online Google Wallet account, your cards will be automatically synced to your Google Wallet app."

The beautiful thing about this is that you're not actually using the card you add to Google Wallet; rather, Google gives you a "virtual" Mastercard. The merchant charges Google, and then they turn around and charge your actual card (and eat the processing fees). Now you can use your Amex at any NFC terminal, even if the merchant doesn't accept American Express!

As alluded to earlier in this thread, you can also add prepaid funds to Google Wallet using a credit card. Lots of possibilities...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:47 pm

Well I wouldn't expect a Happy Ending LOL.
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Wish I could argue, but sadly I can't. This will be an interesting season for the Vike's. It is the type of team that could either surprise people, or be completely horrible, not much in between.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:23 pm

Has anyone tried lendingclub.com? I just read in thier faq's:

We expect the transaction to post as a purchase, but please consult with your specific card issuer as to how they will handle the charge.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfuss
Has anyone tried lendingclub.com? I just read in thier faq's:

We expect the transaction to post as a purchase, but please consult with your specific card issuer as to how they will handle the charge.
Lendingclub.com would require a long period of float, since I don't think you can fund your account and then withdraw immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.