Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
of course I know what is going on this thread...
That was the point.

When a blogger states he is buying groceries when everywhere else he states it is GC’s I am going to call him out on it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Never borrow money unless you can make a profit off the transaction.

Leverage only to make a buck off of other people's money.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If someone is smart, paying interest makes sense in specific situations, if that additional leverage helps someone play the game to greater success.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Never borrow money unless you can make a profit off the transaction.

Leverage only to make a buck off of other people's money.
Pretty similar to buying stock short in a way, just thought of it. Not the best move for newbie stock investors, but a major tenet (along with selling short) of hedge funds and other well-capitalized stock market profiteers. Of course, it can crash and burn much easier (though many of them have moved onto derivatives, but that is outside of the entire scope of this forum, never mind this thread). Most of this is about risk tolerance. If a bank was willing to lend you $40000 at 1.9% interest (see: car loans, and I think buying a $40000 car isn't necessarily a good idea anyway, at least not as a financial decision) but you could earn more via any sort of investment, it would make sense to do it. How many people got into this through the massive 0% balance transfers that were widespread before, roughly 2009?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:19 pm

Truthfully, I disagree, and due apologies for the long post that follows, hopefully my logic isn't too meandering.

For me, it would depend on a very complicated and detailed analysis of what the points were worth to me, how much longer it would take me to earn the points if I stayed down to the point where I was paying in full, in terms of when I could apply for a card if I had to wait another churn cycle, and how much interest I was paying for how long. Someone else posted that points devalue around 3-5% per year, and I agree with that. However, they tend to devalue in fairly big chunks in my experience, maybe 10-20% at a time. If I got, say, 100,000 AA miles through current offers (which I value at 2 cents per piece), that is worth. To do that, I have to spend $6000 in 4 months (or 3 months, the exact length is not important to my argument). What if I can only payoff $1000 per month? Whether that is my limit total, or my remaining amount after other churns is irrelevant to this. If I spend $1000 in months 1-3, then $3000 in month 4 through various methods, but can still only payoff $1000, I will pay roughly 16% interest (I believe my AA cards are 15.24%), or 1.33% per month. 1.33% of $2000 is $26. After paying $1000 off, I will then pay 1.33% on the remaining $1000, another $13. Let's round it off to $40. (I'll leave out the effect of the amount of the minimum payment paying the principal). In effect, I have paid $40 to get 50,000 miles sooner (as I could have gotten 1 card and easily cleared it). However, I would have to wait 18 or more months to be approved for another AA card. During those 18 months, AA miles will be devalued around 4.5%-7.5%, again, let's say 6%. My value of $1000 for those extra 50,000 miles is reduced to $940, or $60. However, if I apply for both cards, I will receive $2000 of value, instead of $1000+$940. Therefore, paying $40 in interest has earned me $60 in value, or a net gain of $20. Also, I will have 100,000 miles instead of 50,000, which is a lot closer to some of the high value awards that may potentially be had. Interest is not the goal in this certainly, but it also is not the mortal enemy in certain situations. "Don't pay interest" is simply a empty mantra, not backed up by any particular mathematical analysis other than a desire to pay an absolute $0 for this, and a "warning" to newbies that helps an advice giver feel better that hopefully someone won't go into debt playing this game, which is a definite losing situation. If someone is smart, paying interest makes sense in specific situations, if that additional leverage helps someone play the game to greater success.
I'd go 1 step further than "Dont pay interest". If you arent making $ while earning miles/points then you are doing it wrong. Not only would I not "pay interest", I'd expect my endeavours to include a small sum of money to hit my bottom line as well as the points/miles.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
I'd go 1 step further than "Dont pay interest". If you arent making $ while earning miles/points then you are doing it wrong. Not only would I not "pay interest", I'd expect my endeavours to include a small sum of money to hit my bottom line as well as the points/miles.
As long as you don't annoy the Cardinals too much, they've been quite good for that lately .
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Truthfully, I disagree, and due apologies for the long post that follows, hopefully my logic isn't too meandering.
Not you.

The person said s/he may have to pay interest because s/he has been buying all these GCs as well as having $25K tied up at a certain bank... If one cannot float some chunks of money, one should really think carefully before gets into taking on all the spend which could not be reasonably paid off in time.

Of course there are a lot of analysis / calculation going into it to make sure one actually "generate" a profit at the least cost possible. One thing to keep in mind, the miles / points while are valuable "currency", they themselves are not real money (yeah I know one can barter this and that - just wait till you get caught... there is no shortage of threads in each airline's forum about accounts being shut down.) On top of that, travel is a discretionary spending. Even with free flights and free hotel stays one still incur pretty pennies when travel...

People need to get their priorities straight before being carried away in this pursuit.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not you.
Indeed, I know it wasn't directed at me, and I didn't say it was a good idea for the person you were speaking to either . I know my limits, heck I'm bumping them right now, but I am still well within a comfort zone. I've planned to have a very high travel budget in my life (it is a major priority of mine), this game just helps me stretch my pennies further. If I made $150k a year, I'd spend $30-40k on travel, and just buy business or first class and stay at any hotel I wanted, and wouldn't bother much with the game.

People need to get their priorities straight before being carried away in this pursuit.

Speaking of this, I finally got tree cutting approval for the Brazilian rain forest. What a pain it was to get my permit, hopefully it isn't a sign of things to come .
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
For some opportunities, you must have business accounts, and for other opportunities you must have business cards. I seem to recall MommyPoints saying AMEX asked for a tax transcript (somewhat ala their Financial Review) before approving her business card application.

Been a bit since I have AMEX bizzed, but I do not recall AMEX demanding tax info upfront at the time of application. Has the AMEX bizzing business changed or become more intrusive upfront? I was under the impression that AMEX liked to first lure you into getting the business card first, before engaging Fang to run an FR to shut down all your accounts, disrupt your life, seize your tax records, hold your first born hostage, burn your village, scatter your cattle, then say all is well - have a nice day.

An upfront tax transcript request would make some credit sense, but this is not in line with my SO's recent experience of not being asked for a tax transcript for her biz, but then being miniFR'd with a temporary shutdown after spending a few thousand for furniture and her rentals.

So what is the story with AMEX biz cards? Is it AMEX policy one way or the other on tax records or do the cardinals just shot dice to decide who will have to provide tax transcripts at the time of application?
They're crapshooting I would say. Applied for SPG Biz and Gold Biz recently and was not asked for any tax returns or documents or anything. For the Biz cards you have to call to activate them, and they like to have a very friendly conversation with you like what kind of business is it and how much do you plan to spend a month and do you want any cards for other users. Now I'm walking a tightrope trying to make the required mega-spend, w/out spending so much so quickly as to attract unwanted attention, at least not until I've earned all the bonuses. Afterward I'll still be careful how I use the darn things and I'll close some of them before they can do it for me and also before the annual fee hits.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by GoGreen
They're crapshooting I would say. Applied for SPG Biz and Gold Biz recently and was not asked for any tax returns or documents or anything. For the Biz cards you have to call to activate them, and they like to have a very friendly conversation with you like what kind of business is it and how much do you plan to spend a month and do you want any cards for other users. Now I'm walking a tightrope trying to make the required mega-spend, w/out spending so much so quickly as to attract unwanted attention, at least not until I've earned all the bonuses. Afterward I'll still be careful how I use the darn things and I'll close some of them before they can do it for me and also before the annual fee hits.
This is the part that takes some true finesse....hope it works out! I don't have the guts to try to go big on multiple cards for this reason. Too much hassle
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
I can only speak from my own experience related to Daves question about Amex Biz cards but I have found it to be similar to Citi and Chase with Visa Biz.

My SO and I both have businesses that have been legitimately incorporated for many years and both Biz's I founded and she has been listed as an officer but yet we have applied for Biz cards for both companies randomly based on which one we used last. So if it isn't a targeted offer from AE for ABC corp then we pick which one we haven't used for a year or so to get the new card.

In regards to the question I would say I have never had as many requests for verification as I have the past two years. I think part of this is from addresses not always matching credit reports from moving but still far more requests for Articles of Incorporation, business license, utility bills ect.

One thing I learned from this is if you have 2 addresses like many people stick to one to apply for cards.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:49 pm
formerly gohima

Indeed, I know it wasn't directed at me, and I didn't say it was a good idea for the person you were speaking to either . I know my limits, heck I'm bumping them right now, but I am still well within a comfort zone. I've planned to have a very high travel budget in my life (it is a major priority of mine), this game just helps me stretch my pennies further. If I made $150k a year, I'd spend $30-40k on travel, and just buy business or first class and stay at any hotel I wanted, and wouldn't bother much with the game.

I dont know a single person who makes $150k who spends 1/4-1/5 of it on travel...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gohima
I dont know a single person who makes $150k who spends 1/4-1/5 of it on travel...
Especially if it's $150K before taxes.

Though I'd say that someone making $150K is well setup for this hobby, and can reap decent rewards from it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
2) what is so funny about expensive prescriptions? A friend has a prescription that costs $2,500+. He called Citi ahead of filling that prescription at a grocery store's pharmacy. I have a prescription that is $160 for 4 pills only. And this is a regular prescription.

If it is funny to you, that means you have very little knowledge outside than scrambling for some cash rebates.
Several years ago, my wife's sister passed away and instead of paying for the funeral with a check, I noticed that the funeral home took CC's. I called Citi & told them that there would be 2 large charges: One for $6.5K, the other for approx $3K. After the phone call, they ran both charges. Both approved. This was on 2 new accounts so I was able to meet the min spends I scored alot of points!!

A couple days before the statement "cuts", I paid both cards online (from checking) so my credit report would not show me with high utilizations.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:23 am

Advice for fishmen

As everyone who spends their time casting their nets widely knows, the regulatory agencies you work with can be quite finicky when the fishing is good. They will often shut you down for no good reason and it can be some time until they give you your hard earned investment back.

However, if you are a more clever fisherman, you can link your investment the regulator is holding to your other investments before the regulator comes calling. When he does come calling, that link can be used to get your investment back quickly. Let's just say this worked quite well for me.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Why? You'd be looking at a substantial part of your take home $$$ to pay for things that you could otherwise get for a lot less $$$ (if not free). If you are clever enough to find a well paying position, you are clever enough to know not to let $$$ slip away

Plus, you'd miss the game itself in finding the deal

Cheers

*** If I made $150k a year, I'd spend $30-40k on travel, and just buy business or first class and stay at any hotel I wanted, and wouldn't bother much with the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.