Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by submonte
That was my conclusion when reading the details of the article and his own findings. You are right, Dr. Duncan did not conclude the same as I did. He describes his own investigation results, comes to the conclusion he finally has not got sufficient evidence. My conclusion is, his results indicate sufficiently that he found something which could confirm the theory the plane went down there in the region.

By the way, RatherBeOnATrain, I haven´t set a foot into a plane since MH370 disappearance. Currently I drive by car or use high speed trains (ICE in Germany) for my travel. Next week I have to fly first time again, to Manchester/UK from Munich, too far to drive. Also my next flight to Asia is may be coming soon.

This incident has shocked me seriously. I have been more than one time on that MH night flight route from KL to Beijing as part of my job in the medical devices industry. The way the investigation, search and official communication to the public has been handled, leaves me speechless. I personally put the blame on the aircraft industry, and the investigators, both totally incapabil, if not ruthlessly hiding the truth and taking all of us and the press and media for fools.
As someone who is regularly on the MH flight from KL to Beijing, I am very surprised you did not mention the Malaysian government when you are assigning blame for the gong-show that the search for MH370 has been from the start. If you spend so much time in Malaysia, either you know full well what a f*cked up government they have or you have become so accustomed to it that you no longer notice it. I was in Johor last week and the short time there reminded me how different Singapore and Malaysia are.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
As someone who is regularly on the MH flight from KL to Beijing, I am very surprised you did not mention the Malaysian government when you are assigning blame for the gong-show that the search for MH370 has been from the start. If you spend so much time in Malaysia, either you know full well what a f*cked up government they have or you have become so accustomed to it that you no longer notice it. I was in Johor last week and the short time there reminded me how different Singapore and Malaysia are.
No, so far I have not been assimilated by the Malay . This chance is much better in Thailand, by my experience . Singapore is not a manufacturing place in our business, I can´t compare it.

When I said "investigators" I had in mind the Malaysian administration especially, but not excluding the external investigators who had been their consultants. The Malaysian role looks indeed disastrously. But as far as I know their and the neighboring countries´ style it all has been a typical mixture of a lack of organization and communication combined with religious and societal considerateness and the willingness to hide whatever can be hided, own mistakes or uncomfortable truths.

Last edited by submonte; Jun 9, 2014 at 4:36 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
That doesn't really fit with the fact that they navigated the plane around land and possibly radar to avoid detection, the auto pilot wouldn't have done that.
But you are assuming we know the route they took that precisely. So much of what has come out has turned out to be "misleading" or "innacurate" etc. that I having hard time trusting anything. I hope that somehow all the data gets opened up to neutral third parties. I assume it will. Someday, even without ever finding the plane, there will be books, etc on this.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
But you are assuming we know the route they took that precisely. So much of what has come out has turned out to be "misleading" or "innacurate" etc. that I having hard time trusting anything. I hope that somehow all the data gets opened up to neutral third parties. I assume it will. Someday, even without ever finding the plane, there will be books, etc on this.
there are already lots of books out, I count 11 on Amazon, just do a search there for MH370
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:12 pm

I have been out of the country and off the grid for almost six weeks and I am way behind on this thread, and don't see that I will have the chancwe to go back and catch up. Here is my point.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a conversation with a Director at Allianz, who I understand is the primary insurer for Malaysian Airlines. He hold me that it was a known fact that the plane had not crashed, that data from the RR engines, indicated a landing had been made!!! THIs is why they had not, and would not, find any wreckage searching off the AUS coast. I was floored!!!!!......he did not appear to have been drinking during this conversation. Has there been any report released from RR or any other agency along these lines? I've been home for about 24 hours and I notice CNN has dropped this story completely.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by allynelaine
I have been out of the country and off the grid for almost six weeks and I am way behind on this thread, and don't see that I will have the chancwe to go back and catch up. Here is my point.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a conversation with a Director at Allianz, who I understand is the primary insurer for Malaysian Airlines. He hold me that it was a known fact that the plane had not crashed, that data from the RR engines, indicated a landing had been made!!! THIs is why they had not, and would not, find any wreckage searching off the AUS coast. I was floored!!!!!......he did not appear to have been drinking during this conversation. Has there been any report released from RR or any other agency along these lines? I've been home for about 24 hours and I notice CNN has dropped this story completely.
Yes, the information, that "RR confirmed on base of radio signals they received from the engines of MH370, showing the engines had been shut down by switching them off properly, indicating a normal landing on ground" had been released in the first days or first one to two weeks after the disapparance. Eventually this was released by CNN, but I am not sure anymore. I watched CNN whole nights the first two weeks after the incident (CET, so evening time in US), because it was the only channel lightening professionally all aspects, Richard Quest was for me the best ^. They stopped relatively early that serious and critical reporting about MH370.

Another broadcasted information from one of these emissions got lost also more or less. Some experienced commercial airline pilots were interviewed, one of them clearly doubted the plane ever had touched water. He explained 10 to 12 ELT units were installed on a 777, sending immediately satellite signals when in contact with water. Of course I read somewhere reasons why those ELTs can fail. Everything failed in case of MH370. Investigation, search, technical equipment. Lets forget about MH370. We all had the same nightmare. In one year or so we even will not find any sign anymore in the web about MH370. MH what? You must have dreamt.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:38 am

RR the same ones who recalculated the engine data and came to the conclusion the engines were working harder, ran out of fuel earlier and crashed 2,000km away from the original area the Australians were searching? And yet we know from the last partial handshake signal when the plane ran out of fuel. They could not change that could they, so how much sense did those recalculations really make. The plane did not travel as far, ran out of fuel sooner, yet crashed at the same time?

I would not rely on any data RR gave as being reliable, maybe their first lot of info was OK before they jumped into bed with those trying to cover up where the plane was.

Which is all going to come to nothing if debris and hopefully some survivors start washing up on the coast of South Australia.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:55 am

Flight MH370: pilot 'practised landing on island runway'

Flight MH370: search looking in wrong place, say satellite experts

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/...#ixzz35ftHVvp8
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by submonte
Thanks, I wonder if they have searched that island
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:25 pm

Hi all, big ask but has anybody had any hands on with B777 Electrical Looms and if so does the melted mess in the picture share any resemblance to the wiring systems used in the B777, any input will be appreciated, Cheers

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...burnt-mess.jpg

Last edited by Dom Leo; Jul 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm Reason: No pic link
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Dom Leo
Hi all, big ask but has anybody had any hands on with B777 Electrical Looms and if so does the melted mess in the picture share any resemblance to the wiring systems used in the B777, any input will be appreciated, Cheers

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...burnt-mess.jpg
Looks nothing like electrical wiring to me, nor does it look burnt. Root system or river delta maybe, silt from a river. Since there are clouds above it, it would be way too big to be wiring. Maybe if you showed us where it came from we could tell you exactly what it is.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:11 am

Hoax Radar Imagery

I dispute the claim MH370 flew west from IGARI at all. This image was shown to Chinese relatives at the Lido Hotel in Beijing on 21 March 2014. Malaysia hired a Russian company called Ketchum Consultants to prepare that presentation.

Chinese relatives were shown this image which was claimed to come from the military Thales Raytheon GM400 radar located at Butterworth. Malaysia has three identical GM400 radars. One at Kota Bharu, with another at Kuantan neither of which saw MH370 flying back from IGARI.

This however is what a real GM400 radar screen looks like:

....and this is a screen shot of the GM400 screen at Kuantan:

All satellite tracks have assumed MH370's last position at 18:22 UTC near MEKAR were confirmed. Duncan Steel's group have tried to reconcile the BOF chart with this position and the southern arc of satellite handshakes and have failed to do so convincingly.

The truth is the so called radar track was invented by a public relations company and were not the result of real tracking data. The radar image shown to Chinese relatives was a hoax.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:33 am

Magnetic Track inconsistent with Satellite Plot

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
That doesn't really fit with the fact that they navigated the plane around land and possibly radar to avoid detection, the auto pilot wouldn't have done that.
This Preliminary Accident Report published by Malaysia on 1st May 2014 described this route around Sumatra

This led to a wasted search effort where Ocean Shield used the Bluefin-21 sonar torpedo which all up cost $90 million. It wasted the taxpayer dollars of Malaysia, Australia, USA, China, New Zealand and Japan in a futile effort.

If the next search is also a futile effort, then it is doubtful there will be a third search, therefore it is vital to ensure these searches are not being based on false assumptions or bogus evidence.

The great circle route required to match the BOF data to the Southern Arc could not be performed by an autopilot flying a magnetic heading, since that results in a final splash down much farther east of the Southern Arc.

So already before the second search begins there are reason to doubt the calculations used to predict where to look.

Much more damning however is that the Burst Offset frequency chart shows a frequency increase as MH370 flew towards the Southern Arc, yet increased offset frequency asserts a flight towards the satellite, not away from it.

Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Chopstyx
The great circle route required to match the BOF data to the Southern Arc could not be performed by an autopilot flying a magnetic heading, since that results in a final splash down much farther east of the Southern Arc.
What if the autopilot was flying a constant true track as suggested in an earlier thread? Would that place the search site in more or less the correct area?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by ACARS
What if the autopilot was flying a constant true track as suggested in an earlier thread? Would that place the search site in more or less the correct area?
I am not familiar with the B777 autopilot. I gathered there was only an L-Nav choice between navigating between waypoints and magnetic headings?

I assume if there was an autopilot selection which allowed such a track then perhaps yes, but is that a track which also requires the input of a destination waypoint?

Is that an option available for any flight regime, or just FANS 1/A routes?
If the answer is FANS 1/A routes then it implies the input of a destination co-ordinate.

If you are correct then it still leaves unanswered the question how is such a Great Circle route reconciled with the BOF chart when it involves steady velocity away from INMARSAT after 19:41 UTC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.