Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
I'm pretty new to the satellite data and the Inmarsat data is really confusing. Can someone help me to make sense of it?

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/...inmarsat-data/
Where do you want to start?

Imagine you have a shiny ball on a short piece of string and you're spinning it around lasso style just in front of your forehead. Then imagine you move your other hand in a sweep slowly across your torso. The ball represents the satellite, your hand the plane, and your left eye is the Earth ground station. You happen to be wearing spectacles that shine a laser at the ball, so that it bounces off of there and onto your hand. Because you're wearing a shiny glove the light bounces back to the ball and towards your eye.

Although light travels very quickly it still takes a bit of time to go from spectacles to ball to hand to ball to eye. So you can measure that time and by carefully accounting for exactly where the ball was on its path can then calculate how far away from the ball your hand must have been by multiplying the time taken by the speed of light.

Additionally you can look at the light you get back to see if it is a bit redder or bluer than you sent, which is the Doppler offset effect, to work out whether you hand and the ball are getting closer or further apart at that instant.

Those two values for travel time and frequency offset are the last columns in the Inmarsat data. By looking at the patterns and values in them you can start to infer possible paths, as long as you make assumptions about speed, etc.

Does that help?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; May 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old May 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Where do you want to start?

Imagine you have a shiny ball on a short piece of string and you're spinning it around lasso style just in front of your forehead. Then imagine you move your other hand in a sweep slowly across your torso. The ball represents the satellite, your hand the plane, and your left eye is the Earth ground station. You happen to be wearing spectacles that shine a laser at the ball, so that it bounces off of there and onto your hand. Because you're wearing a shiny glove the light bounces back to the ball and towards your eye.

Although light travels very quickly it still takes a bit of time to go from spectacles to ball to hand to ball to eye. So you can measure that time and by carefully accounting for exactly where the ball was on its path can then calculate how far away from the ball your hand must have been by multiplying the time taken by the speed of light.

Additionally you can look at the light you get back to see if it is a bit redder or bluer than you sent, which is the Doppler offset effect, to work out whether you hand and the ball are getting closer or further apart at that instant.

Those two values for travel time and frequency offset are the last columns in the Inmarsat data. By looking at the patterns and values in them you can start to infer possible paths, as long as you make assumptions about speed, etc.

Does that help?
You, sir, are amazing. Did you happen to get an A in English? That analogy helps a LOT. Thank you so much.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I haven't really read through the whole thread but I could imagine a scenario where there's a landing gear fire caused by a short-circuit. The pilot sets the autopilot on course to Langkawi Island in the Maldives, where there's a large runway. The pilot pulls switches frantically to stop the fire, and one of them stops communications. Then the fire reaches the cockpit, where it knocks the pilots out and the plane continues on autopilot. I could imagine something similar to TWA 800 - the cockpit separates from the rest of the plane. The rearward part of the fuselage ascends and then descends.

Hard to imagine that a scenario in 1996 with a jet (N93119) built in 1971 could happen in 2014 with a jet built in 2002 (9M-MRO). :shudder:
Old May 29, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
That doesn't really fit with the fact that they navigated the plane around land and possibly radar to avoid detection, the auto pilot wouldn't have done that.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
That doesn't really fit with the fact that they navigated the plane around land and possibly radar to avoid detection, the auto pilot wouldn't have done that.
And Langkawi isn't in the Maldives...
Old May 29, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mcbg1
And Langkawi isn't in the Maldives...
And while I guess anything is possible, I doubt the pilots would accidentally disable all comms while attempting to deal with a fire. They know where the necessary fire supression activation switches are, they're not going to just start flailing around at random levers and switches, hoping something works.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Pings unrelated?

"CNN reported the Navy’s civilian deputy director of ocean engineering, Michael Dean, had said most countries now agreed that the sounds detected by the Navy’s Towed Ping Locator in April in the southern Indian Ocean came from a manmade source unrelated to the jet, which vanished March 8 with 239 people on board. "

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...urce-of-ocean/

So maybe we are back to square one
Old May 29, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by john398
Pings unrelated?

"CNN reported the Navy’s civilian deputy director of ocean engineering, Michael Dean, had said most countries now agreed that the sounds detected by the Navy’s Towed Ping Locator in April in the southern Indian Ocean came from a manmade source unrelated to the jet, which vanished March 8 with 239 people on board. "

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...urce-of-ocean/

So maybe we are back to square one
Can someone explain to me what man made source would have made those pings that are "unrelated?" Doesn't it make it all look rather like a wild goose chase? Either someone is out to confuse everyone else or a lot of very intelligent people have been fooled.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by lloydah
Can someone explain to me what man made source would have made those pings that are "unrelated?" Doesn't it make it all look rather like a wild goose chase? Either someone is out to confuse everyone else or a lot of very intelligent people have been fooled.
I doubt they know, but maybe another search boat or something like that? I know the Chinese had a false ready as well far away from another search area.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by lloydah
I think either the BBC or CNN articles linked above (or maybe in the other thread) said it could have been a resonance within the circuitry of the detection equipment. In other words the towed ping locator heard itself, not an external source. That's why it could detect signals across such a wide distance .
Old May 29, 2014, 4:28 pm

I wonder how long it will be before they admit they were mislead by more than those false pings. The recalculation on the speed of the plane will eventually be found to be a false trail. Any survivors will be long dead by the time that lot eventually work out they were deliberately lead on a wild goose chase.

They should go back to their original search pattern.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Another trace indicating it could be in the Indian Ocean:

MH370: Curtin University team checks undersea recorders for sounds of plane crash

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-2...sounds/5487054

And some interesting theories on the other hand:

13 theories of what happened to Flight MH370

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/35762712.cms

Last edited by submonte; May 31, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Interesting thread on cruisers Forum

Cruiser's forum describes a possible sighting of MH370

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...70-127132.html
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by submonte
Another trace indicating it could be in the Indian Ocean:

MH370: Curtin University team checks undersea recorders for sounds of plane crash

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-2...sounds/5487054
No, the article you posted, submonte, does not indicate that the plane could be in the Indian Ocean. Here's how article concludes:
[Dr. Alec Duncan, a senior lecturer and research fellow at Curtin University's Centre for Marine Science and Technology] said the team's current conclusion was that the sound was probably not from the crashing aircraft.

"Everybody would love this to be related to MH370 because it would give them a cross bearing [on the predicted flight path] and that would vastly reduce their search areas," Dr Duncan said.

"But unfortunately it's not really looking that way at the moment."
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
No, the article you posted, submonte, does not indicate that the plane could be in the Indian Ocean. Here's how article concludes:
That was my conclusion when reading the details of the article and his own findings. You are right, Dr. Duncan did not conclude the same as I did. He describes his own investigation results, comes to the conclusion he finally has not got sufficient evidence. My conclusion is, his results indicate sufficiently that he found something which could confirm the theory the plane went down there in the region.

By the way, RatherBeOnATrain, I havenīt set a foot into a plane since MH370 disappearance. Currently I drive by car or use high speed trains (ICE in Germany) for my travel. Next week I have to fly first time again, to Manchester/UK from Munich, too far to drive. Also my next flight to Asia is may be coming soon.

This incident has shocked me seriously. I have been more than one time on that MH night flight route from KL to Beijing as part of my job in the medical devices industry. The way the investigation, search and official communication to the public has been handled, leaves me speechless. I personally put the blame on the aircraft industry, and the investigators, both totally incapabil, if not ruthlessly hiding the truth and taking all of us and the press and media for fools.

Last edited by submonte; Jun 7, 2014 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.