Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:00 pm

Something I read today struck me with the force of truth unlike anything else I've heard.

I can come up with any number of whys and whos, etc, but:

The theory that the plane was *headed to Australia*, possibly Perth, makes the most sense.

Again, why this was done and who was in control (both through directly flying it to the chance that an outside actor was forcing someone to fly a deviated route) could be explained by a number of things, but I'm somehow intuitively convinced that the destination was Australia.

Was the plane shot down by a government? Did something go wrong aboard the aircraft? Don't know, but makes more sense than fresh mangosteens out of season.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by polarbreeze
Hmm, so how low would he have to fly to avoid that radar?
Subsurface. JORN will pick up fishing boats not just aircraft.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snowbunnytx
The theory that the plane was *headed to Australia*, possibly Perth, makes the most sense.
In which case "they" should have tried to land in Exmouth instead of trying to get to PER and running out of fuel in the process.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
In which case "they" should have tried to land in Exmouth instead of trying to get to PER and running out of fuel in the process.
I agree that it's puzzling without a further hypothesis as to why they either didn't or could not have landed at Exmouth. Still, I don't think the south turn was an accident or an autopilot oddity; and I therefore conclude that whoever decided to make that turn wanted to head for Australia. Infinitely more plausible than suicidal pilot lets plane run out of fuel over random area of Indian Ocean.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I agree that it's puzzling without a further hypothesis as to why they either didn't or could not have landed at Exmouth. Still, I don't think the south turn was an accident or an autopilot oddity; and I therefore conclude that whoever decided to make that turn wanted to head for Australia. Infinitely more plausible than suicidal pilot lets plane run out of fuel over random area of Indian Ocean.
<redacted> If whoever caused this had wanted to land or be found there were ample opportunities to do so over Malaysia and near Thailand, Indonesia, India, Diego Garcia, etc.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm Reason: Removed question-begging assertion that presumes facts not in evidence; sensitivity
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
In that case "he" or "they" should have picked a more westerly course to make sure they would not be detected by the Australian JORN. If "they" were such cunning planners they surely were aware of that system. So, no, not likely.
If whoever was flying was so good as to know where radar sites were and their range, then they would have also known that the JORN array was directed towards the North East at the time due to the exercises going on.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:07 am

Interesting. The audible signal would be from the ELB - but there has been considerable discussion as to whether or not the plane had one, and even if so, if it would operate properly underwater.

You can't "hear" a pure 37.5 kHz signal like the ones emitted by the FDR and CVR - you can "see" it on audio spectral analysis, but 37.5 kHz is about 2x above the human sound limit.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Interesting. The audible signal would be from the ELB - but there has been considerable discussion as to whether or not the plane had one, and even if so, if it would operate properly underwater.

You can't "hear" a pure 37.5 kHz signal like the ones emitted by the FDR and CVR - you can "see" it on audio spectral analysis, but 37.5 kHz is about 2x above the human sound limit.
It would arguably be unhelpful for them to say 'detected sound energy' rather than simply 'heard', so isn't this just semantics as to whether only what can be heard by humans counts as 'audible'? Is it being described as directly audible to humans by a 'source close to the investigation' or is that press / briefing simplification? If it was ACM Houston's comments then perhaps he missed out the '... [when we put it through the frequency shift doo-dah]' bit.

Not trying to be picky, just trying to understand what is being said where .

In terms of how the detection works, does anyone actually listen or does it go through a Fourier transform type widget to get the frequency analysis and someone / something is looking for the characteristic peak at 37.5kHz?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Apr 7, 2014 at 5:05 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by trailboss99
Subsurface. JORN will pick up fishing boats not just aircraft.
In that case, JORN would be able to tell us exactly where the plane went down - but apparently that's not the case. What would be the explanation for that?

...ah, Himeno has answered that: "the JORN array was directed towards the North East at the time due to the exercises going on". What exercises were those?

Or getting the cargo and/or pax to Perth
Didn't have enough fuel - and must have known that.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 7, 2014 at 5:26 am Reason: two consecutive posts
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
In terms of how the detection works, does anyone actually listen or does it go through a Fourier transform type widget to get the frequency analysis and someone / something is looking for the characteristic peak at 37.5kHz?
It's mostly waveforms and other graphics on computer screens - some shots of that in the TV coverage here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-0...signal/5372616

Navy guy in the announcement said that the frequency is in the range of 33.3kHz, which he said is consistent with the 37.5kHz pinger going off frequency near end of life. And it seems to me that it will also provide a reason for thinking they've picked up both pingers because they are likely to have drifted to different frequencies and so can be distinguished from each other. They also said that the two hits were 2km apart, which they said can be due to the way sound travels underwater and doesn't necessarily mean the two things are really that far apart. (Easier to visualize that when you consider they're 4km down, so 2km laterally isn't really that far).

PS - strange that they drift that far, you'd think they would be crystal controlled - my $15 guitar tuner holds its frequency much better than that

Last edited by polarbreeze; Apr 7, 2014 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:58 am

It's mostly waveforms and other graphics on computer screens - some shots of that in the TV coverage here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-0...signal/5372616
Ah, yes. Thanks.

The screenshot linked from that page shows the frequency analysis of each ping a second apart (you can see it scrolling by in the video at 0m32s), with the intensity peak reaching into 'red' at a (presumably notable) frequency for each one.

PS - strange that they drift that far, you'd think they would be crystal controlled - my $15 guitar tuner holds its frequency much better than that
I can understand the frequency starting to drift near the end of life, but it does make it sound like they're pretty near the end if it has drifted like that! So they maybe pretty close to it as well if the 'loudness' has also deteriorated?

I know its easy to second guess, but is a ping every 1s much more useful than one ever 2s or 3s? Wouldn't it last about twice as long then?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Apr 7, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:26 am

Just can't help but wonder: when the source of that pinging (black box?) arrived at it's current location.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by alpenrose
Just can't help but wonder: when the source of that pinging (black box?) arrived at it's current location.
Yes, there's been plenty of time for things to have moved around .
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I noticed in the seafloor maps published of the eastern Indian Ocean off Perth there is a vast abyssal plain. Is that accurate or simply a reflection of inadequate mapping? I know that in the North Atlantic much of the more recent mapping efforts had origins in Cold War submarine warfare, transatlantic cable routes and other commercial initiatives. Seems to me that little economic motivation would exist to map the area compared to other regions of the world.
Salvaging this aircraft will be an enormous challenge.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I can understand the frequency starting to drift near the end of life, but it does make it sound like they're pretty near the end if it has drifted like that!
When they spoke about this they said "shelf life" as having the impact on frequency - not referring to the 30 days operational battery life. Of course they might have got it wrong, lots of fog around all this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.