Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by john398
>The Bluefin 21 autonomous submersible ran into a hurdle during its search of the sea floor Monday when it hit its maximum depth and automatically returned to the surface, cutting its expedition short by 10 hours.<

I think maybe they need to recalibrate so they can go deeper
I am far (very far) from an expert on such vehicles but I would be quite certain that there are good reasons that the Bluefin 21 cannot go deeper. Perhaps it cannot operate and perform its functions, perhaps it takes on water, perhaps it would sink. I don't know. But I am fairly certain this is not arbitrary.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
I am far (very far) from an expert on such vehicles but I would be quite certain that there are good reasons that the Bluefin 21 cannot go deeper. Perhaps it cannot operate and perform its functions, perhaps it takes on water, perhaps it would sink. I don't know. But I am fairly certain this is not arbitrary.
It could certainly go deeper, the question is could it come back up (and in one piece)? The maximum depth is certainly set for a reason and whilst they might be able to recalibrate to reduce the safety margin there may not be that much more they can do.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jspira
from the manufacturer
http://www.bluefinrobotics.com/products/bluefin-21/
Depth Rating 14,763 ft (4,500 m)

So after research looks like your right, I was just going on what I heard on CNN which seems they thought could be calibrated to go deeper, oh well
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:21 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
One of the world's foremost wreck hunters believes searchers have found the crash site of the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, and recovering the plane's black boxes is inevitable. "I think essentially they have found the wreckage site," the director of the UK-based Bluewater Recoveries, David Mearns, told 7.30. "While the Government hasn't announced that yet, if somebody asked me: 'Technically, do they have enough information to say that?' my answer is unequivocally 'Yes'." Mr Mearns solved one of the nation's greatest maritime mysteries when he found the wreck of HMAS Sydney deep in the Indian Ocean. He was awarded an honorary Order of Australia for his work. His advice was also crucial in helping to find the wreckage of Air France flight 447. ...
Read the full story:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-1...mearns/5392440

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 15, 2014 at 7:15 pm Reason: fixed link, added quote code
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Underwater vehicles such as AUVs are designed for a maximum operating pressure, for which there is an equivalent depth (e.g., 4500 m), which really means msw (metres of sea water). (Sea water is more dense than fresh water, so it weighs more and correspondingly the depth rating in sea water is less than fresh water.)

Just because the depth rating is 4500 m, doesn't mean the unit will implode at 4501 m. Typically, there is a "safety margin" which is typically 25-50%, depending on how conservative the pressure / depth rating is. Diving the Bluefin 21 below 4500 m is not a matter of "recalibration". It's a matter of whether or not the operator is willing to take the risk that the vehicle may not survive going below the recommended maximum depth. If the maximum operating depth exceeded, the failure could be minor (e.g., a sensor such as a camera or sonar could fail) or it could be catastrophic (e.g., the navigation or control system could fail). Modifying a vehicle to dive to a greater depth should be expected to require significant reengineering, such as replacing sensors, strengthening pressure vessels and replacing buoyancy foam for a different material.

Disclaimer: I work for a company that makes underwater vehicles (not for Bluefin). I have no knowledge of their design practices.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
It's somewhat of lame calling this a "hurdle". AUVs are given a mission plan to follow, which includes waypoints to follow. Waypoints are lat, long and depth. If the AUV exceeded its maximum operational depth, it's either because it was programmed to do so or because its control system didn't properly maintain the intended course.
It was set to fly a certain distance above the seabed but, due to imperfect understanding of the underwater terrain when its course was set, that took it too deep so it aborted. They will move it to a slightly different area which is not so deep. A different vehicle will be required to search the deeper parts of the search area.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by john398
So after research looks like your right, I was just going on what I heard on CNN which seems they thought could be calibrated to go deeper, oh well
Bad idea.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
According to some news reports, they have done an analysis of the Bluefin-21 and believe the risk of going deeper is small and acceptable. So they believe that the Bluefin can cover the entire search area.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by deant
According to some news reports, they have done an analysis of the Bluefin-21 and believe the risk of going deeper is small and acceptable. So they believe that the Bluefin can cover the entire search area.
They sort of don't have a choice. Given that Abbot has given them a week to find something or he pulls the plug to "stop and reassess". They don't have the time to get anything better out there.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
They sort of don't have a choice. Given that Abbot has given them a week to find something or he pulls the plug to "stop and reassess". They don't have the time to get anything better out there.
There is always a choice. There are commercially available vehicles that can dive to 6000 m, so it's not like there aren't alternatives. However, if the Bluefin has a 4500 m depth rating, it probably has at least a 10 or 20 percent safety margin, if not more.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Another mystery to add to the mystery:

(CNN) Investigators have determined that the missing jet was equipped with four emergency locator transmitters, or ELTs, which are designed to transmit a plane's location to an emergency satellite when triggered by a crash or by contact with water, the source added.

The ELTs were at the plane's front door, its rear door, in the fuselage and in the cockpit, said the source, who was puzzled over why they appear either not to have activated or, if they did activate, why they were not picked up by the satellite.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Another mystery to add to the mystery:

(CNN) Investigators have determined that the missing jet was equipped with four emergency locator transmitters, or ELTs, which are designed to transmit a plane's location to an emergency satellite when triggered by a crash or by contact with water, the source added.

The ELTs were at the plane's front door, its rear door, in the fuselage and in the cockpit, said the source, who was puzzled over why they appear either not to have activated or, if they did activate, why they were not picked up by the satellite.
This has been discussed several times upthread. ELTs are designed to function after a survivable crash - not one where the plane is shredded. They are not as robust as the FDRs.

And even after a crash with survivors they don't always work. Oh well, CNN again.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AAA
Originally Posted by Himeno
I think the plan that Ocean Shield is executing is reasonable. They have to locate a piece of debris precisely so they can send the grappler to get it. If they put a lot of sonar devices down there they will be interfering with each other. The alternative seems to be a towed sonar array. They really can't use that simultaneously.

Ocean Shield has a grappler too so it is well equipped to work fast if Bluefin finds something. IMHO there isn't any better than Bluefin.

Abbot is in the middle of all the relatives who want evidence and a scapegoat.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by lewko
I think the plan that Ocean Shield is executing is reasonable. They have to locate a piece of debris precisely so they can send the grappler to get it. If they put a lot of sonar devices down there they will be interfering with each other. The alternative seems to be a towed sonar array. They really can't use that simultaneously.

Ocean Shield has a grappler too so it is well equipped to work fast if Bluefin finds something. IMHO there isn't any better than Bluefin.

Abbot is in the middle of all the relatives who want evidence and a scapegoat.
The reason the Ocean Shield and the Bluefin are being used is because they are available and they are suitable. The Ocean Shield is of a typical design that's used in the offshore oil and gas industry. Google "offshore support vessel" and you'll find literally hundreds of examples. It was built by DOF, which like many similar companies, operates such vessels. Normally such vessels are equipped with ROVs, or if not, can be easily equipped if required. Based on what I've read about the Ocean Shield, it doesn't have ROVs. The "grapple" will not be used to directly lift debris off the bottom. When (if) they find some debris, they will dive an ROV to take a closer look. If they decide to lift some debris, an ROV will be used to fasten some sort of lifting apparatus to the debris and attach it to the hook on the crane on the surface vessel. There are many vessels similar to the Ocean Shield that already have ROVs. So the Ocean Shield is the right type of vessel, but would need ROVs if it's to be used for recovering debris. Also, there is nothing special about the bluefin. It's a typical AUV outfitted with typical sensors. There are a number of companies that make AUVs which are similar to the Bluefin and which can dive beyond 4500 m without exceeding their depth limit.

Disclaimer: I work for a company that makes equipment and systems used in the offshore oil and gas industry. I've been on a vessel similar to the Ocean Shield.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
This has been discussed several times upthread. ELTs are designed to function after a survivable crash - not one where the plane is shredded. They are not as robust as the FDRs.

And even after a crash with survivors they don't always work. Oh well, CNN again.
I'm not usually complimentary of CNN, but why bash them for this? If it's been verified that the aircraft had four ELTs, that debunks two things that have been questioned. First, claims that the ELTs weren't detected because there weren't any on the aircraft. Second, claims that the aircraft had a controlled landing. If the aircraft had not just one, but four ELTs, yet none of them were detected, it must have sunk immediately upon crashing, which does not indicate a landing that was either controlled or one that occupants could have survived.

I'm curious about whether the EA 767 had an ELT and if it was detected after it crashed into the ocean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.