Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
If whoever was flying was so good as to know where radar sites were and their range, then they would have also known that the JORN array was directed towards the North East at the time due to the exercises going on.
Ah, no. Being military radar I doubt that the Aussie DOD publish a timetable telling potential interlopers where it's looking at any given moment. In fact I know they don't.

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I noticed in the seafloor maps published of the eastern Indian Ocean off Perth there is a vast abyssal plain. Is that accurate or simply a reflection of inadequate mapping?
It's a white space mate. In other words not accurately mapped. A bit further south yes because the Diamantina Trench is there so there is something of interest but up around this latest find mapping is sketchy at best. As you said, no real reason and survey resources are thinly stretched.

EDIT: Oke, it's plainish I suppose but deep. Someone found a better map apparently, here it is from the other thread. Mind you we assuming it's correct. Are not the Chinese and Aussie sighting positions reversed? Isn't the CN one the north position?

Last edited by trailboss99; Apr 7, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:56 am

I know the focus is on finding the plane, but I'm very surprise nobody has follow up on the lies Malaysian Government had first insisted they have no idea what happened, and wasted everyone's precious time in search operations in South China Seas for a good 4-5 days, and then turn around and admits they knew all alone the plane went westward after 1 hour of flight time, and then play dumb after that.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Thanks.
I grew up with a close family connection to SSN Scorpion. It would be interesting to know if USN has additional towed locators that they could rapidly deploy. Finding the beacons before they go silent would make the subsequent tasks so much less difficult.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I know the focus is on finding the plane, but I'm very surprise nobody has follow up on the lies Malaysian Government had first insisted they have no idea what happened, and wasted everyone's precious time in search operations in South China Seas for a good 4-5 days, and then turn around and admits they knew all alone the plane went westward after 1 hour of flight time, and then play dumb after that.
I don't think anyone was "lying" so much as searching for, gathering and analyzing new data each day to piece together what happened. As data was analyzed - including the military radar data that was recorded - it became clearer what had happened.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:46 pm

I think that is a very unfair characterization of what happened. The Malaysian authorities had to deal with an unprecedented situation here, and in the early days they did have several reports (unfounded as it turns out) that there had been a crash in the South China Sea - and the primary radar reports from the Malacca Strait were not immediately verifiable as being from MH370. As for the westward route, the Malaysian authorities did announce that to the world very early on. The most recent announcement only added that they believe that the motive was to avoid radar.

And when they said they had no idea what happened - well, far from being what you call a "lie" - that of all things was 100% true - at the time, of course.

Last edited by polarbreeze; Apr 7, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:35 pm

Right now is not the time for castigating Malaysia. Everyone involved must bite their lip and follow protocol, the host nation and head of investigation must be Malaysia, and the coalition of nations assisting this recovery must also assist Malaysia in every way they can.
Once the recovery is complete, that's another story...

I have not heard any discussion of sending aircraft down-current of this location.
Down-current would be north? (I think). Presumably any surface wreckage would drift with the current which if I'm not mistaken should be north of these new 'ping' sites.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:19 pm

I did have a look at the surface currents, and don't know what the wind has been up to but the actual drift over 30 days is quite small..... I think I estimated two years to reach northern Madagascar, so maybe 100 miles a month (ish)
I got the current data from this chart:

http://marinebio.org/i/currents/Ocean_currents_1943.jpg

Sorry I was missreading the map..... drift looks like 1nm/h so 25 miles per day or 700 miles a month, so if there is a debris field it might be half way to Madagascar!

I also don't think that Malaysia should be criticised, this was unprecedented and I doubt any other country would have arrived at the answer much quicker. They may have handled the media and those closely affected better but only because of experience.... the sort of experience Malaysia has not had forced upon it previously.
I might be time though to have quick access to satellite imaging/video to follow lost or missing aircraft, though I have no Idea how this would work and how much it would cost... or even if those with the technology would even consider it!

Last edited by cassiewoofer; Apr 8, 2014 at 4:24 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Yes, there's been plenty of time for things to have moved around .
What are you getting at? After the aircraft crashed, it broke apart and sank. When debris sinks, it doesn't move around. The only movement would be on the surface or on the way down to the bottom due to currents.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Breaking News / Search Conference:

They have been unable to re-locate the ping at this time.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
I think it perfectly reasonable that it took a while for authorities to get their heads around the idea that this plane would have gone down so far afield of last contact.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Breaking News / Search Conference:

They have been unable to re-locate the ping at this time.
Yes, the battery must be running out.

Normally I guess, the battery would last for 30 days. But there was a news report from Malaysia Airlines that the battery on that particular aircraft was due to be replaced in April as it was 'old'.

Oh dear...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
What are you getting at? After the aircraft crashed, it broke apart and sank. When debris sinks, it doesn't move around. The only movement would be on the surface or on the way down to the bottom due to currents.
It could have landed intact and sank. Admittedly that scenario only holds if one person subdued everyone else and then purposely flew it there to sink it.

If it crashed, it sounds like almost all experts believe some debris would have floated. So we should eventually find something floating somewhere.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Normally I guess, the battery would last for 30 days. But there was a news report from Malaysia Airlines that the battery on that particular aircraft was due to be replaced in April as it was 'old'.

Oh dear...
Yes but also think of it this way - if this is indeed what has happened, then the ship just happened to pick up the ping on the very last day of battery life. How miraculous would that be.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
It could have landed intact and sank. Admittedly that scenario only holds if one person subdued everyone else and then purposely flew it there to sink it.

If it crashed, it sounds like almost all experts believe some debris would have floated. So we should eventually find something floating somewhere.
No; this idea the aircraft was miraculously landed intact is a highly unlikely scenario. In one month, released floating debris has been widely scattered by winds and currents. The remainder is metal and sank, remaining relatively concentrated in one area (the wreckage will drift and establish a debris field).

The best bet was the "pinger" - and battery life is estimated at an average of thirty days. They're trying to pick up more "pings", but the battery may be exhausted. If so, at least the search area has been reduced considerably. But now they will have to use other tools (Bluefin 21 or even deeper operating UAVs to be brought on site), to try to locate wreckage and ultimately the FDR/CVR. With the wild topography of that ocean floor and the depths, it will be very tricky and potentially take a very long time (AF447 took 23 months for FDR/CVR recovery and they had a pretty good idea where it was).
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Normally I guess, the battery would last for 30 days. ...
In an interview with CNN the president? of Dukane Seacom clarified this, that those pingers are manufactured to last 35 days, they are just guaranteed to last 30 days.

I just came across this very interesting post at PPRuNe.

http://www.pprune.org/8425140-post9602.html

Last edited by Wickerman; Apr 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.