Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kusamoto

As far as direct radio contact and declaring at least a pan-pan-pan, well, you got me. Maybe they were troubleshooting before declaring and there was an acceleration of pressure loss? Maybe they were already starting to become generally hypoxic when signing off for the night? Could there have been some kind of localized electrical failure in certain systems that would affect pressurization and possibly knock out some of the warning systems, as well? Having never sat left seat, I can't say if this is even plausible in an aircraft as automated and advanced as a 777, but I suppose it could happen under the right circumstances.
I don't think hypoxia can account for the turns the aircraft appears to have made.

From what we've heard, it appears there were two significant incidents which resulted in the aircraft making turns. One over the South China Sea, the second over the Straits of Malacca.
- The first incident resulted in the plane making the westward turn back over the Malaysian peninsula.
- The second incident resulted in the plane turning south towards the southern Indian Ocean.
Whatever happened within the Malacca Straits, with respect to any other turns, appears unclear.

That last turn sending the plane out across the southern horizon is the most likely time to place the 'hypoxia' theory. But that theory does not explain the previous maneuvers.

Hypothetically..
The first incident may have been due to someone entering the cockpit and commandeering the aircraft. The pilot does what he is told, the is plane turned west.

The second incident may have been the pilots attempt to take back the aircraft, resulted in both pilots being fatally wounded and the plane is intentionally turned south and sent out across the sea away from land.

I say hypothetically because the meager evidence we have can allow for many interpretations. Those two pilots could have been hero's.

Suppose, just for arguments sake, the pilots learned what the intention of the hi-jacker was, to use the plane like another 911 attack?

If you were the pilot, would you switch to a heading away from land and turn on autopilot, then make some attempt to wrestle with the hi-jacker?
At least if you failed, the plane could not be used as a weapon, it would just fly on until it runs out of fuel.

Speculation is all we have, even the Inmarsat & AAIB people are applying speculation, which is why no-one is able to find anything on the Ocean.
To date, even professional speculation has turned up nothing.

Last edited by Wickerman; Apr 2, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wickerman
I don't think hypoxia can account for the turns the aircraft appears to have made.

From what we've heard, it appears there were two significant incidents which resulted in the aircraft making turns. One over the South China Sea, the second over the Straits of Malacca.
- The first incident resulted in the plane making the westward turn back over the Malaysian peninsula.
- The second incident resulted in the plane turning south towards the southern Indian Ocean.
Whatever happened within the Malacca Straits, with respect to any other turns, appears unclear.

That last turn sending the plane out across the southern horizon is the most likely time to place the 'hypoxia' theory. But that theory does not explain the previous maneuvers.

Hypothetically..
The first incident may have been due to someone entering the cockpit and commandeering the aircraft. The pilot does what he is told, the is plane turned west.

The second incident may have been the pilots attempt to take back the aircraft, resulted in both pilots being fatally wounded and the plane is intentionally turned south and sent out across the sea away from land.

I say hypothetically because the meager evidence we have can allow for many interpretations. Those two pilots could have been hero's.

Suppose, just for arguments sake, the pilots learned what the intention of the hi-jacker was, to use the plane like another 911 attack?

If you were the pilot, would you switch to a heading away from land and turn on autopilot, then make some attempt to wrestle with the hi-jacker?
At least if you failed, the plane could not be used as a weapon, it would just fly on until it runs out of fuel.

Speculation is all we have, even the Inmarsat & AAIB people are applying speculation, which is why no-one is able to find anything on the Ocean.
To date, even professional speculation has turned up nothing.
There was 12 members of the crew and a plane full of passengers. Why no crew member had made an alarm call? And neither did the passengers.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Here is an older (2011) article describing what the pilots experience during a rapid depressurization, like what happened to Southwest Airlines Flight 812 on April 1, 2011 (wikipedia):

Executive Travel magazine:
How Pilots Handle Aircraft Decompression

Nov/Dec-2011

A short quote:
Most often, the first indication that something is wrong is the cabin altitude warning horn blasting in the cockpit. Concurrently, the pilots experience abdominal pain and the feeling of having the wind knocked out of us, because trapped gas expands with the loss of cabin pressure. Our first move is to don our oxygen masks, check the regulator to 100 percent oxygen and establish communication with the copilot. Depending on the altitude of the aircraft and the fitness level of the pilots when the decompression occurs, the UTC, or useful time of consciousness, can be as little as 5 to 10 seconds.

Once the oxygen masks are in place, it is difficult to exhale as oxygen is forced into our lungs through automatic pressure breathing. So we reach for the response checklist and begin the steps to safely descend the aircraft to a lower altitude where the crew and passengers can breathe without supplemental oxygen.
Basically, it becomes very difficult to fly after a rapid decompression.

the aircraft making turns. One over the South China Sea, the second over the Straits of Malacca.
The two turns make the loss of pressure scenario plausible to me - the first turn was to point the plane back towards land, while the second turn was to go back to originating airport.

A rapid decompression could have happened in the cockpit. An example of this possibility was British Airways Flight 5390 (wikipedia); an improperly-installed panel of its windscreen failed and the plane's captain was blown halfway out of the plane.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by userasc
There was 12 members of the crew and a plane full of passengers. Why no crew member had made an alarm call? And neither did the passengers.
How could they enter the locked cabin, who could they call, and how?

I might add...
It is my understanding that cell phone transmissions from MH370 were handled by the inflight entertainment unit.
Surely, if this anonymous 'third party' made sure the transponder & ACARS were disabled, then wouldn't they also have disabled the entertainment unit?

The final report on this mystery is likely to be a best seller.

Last edited by Wickerman; Apr 2, 2014 at 7:50 pm Reason: The "I might add" paragraph.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:07 pm

The transcript: perhaps it's clutching at straws here but it's true that the MH370 did not read back the new (Ho Chi Min) radio frequency. Perhaps an innocent lapse - but I heard on here that what typically happens is that the pilot reads back the new frequency while simultaneously presetting it or checking it on their radio. That routine would be disrupted if they had no intention of tuning in to the new tower - which could be the reason for the lapse.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by polarbreeze
The transcript: perhaps it's clutching at straws here but it's true that the MH370 did not read back the new (Ho Chi Min) radio frequency. Perhaps an innocent lapse - but I heard on here that what typically happens is that the pilot reads back the new frequency while simultaneously presetting it or checking it on their radio. That routine would be disrupted if they had no intention of tuning in to the new tower - which could be the reason for the lapse.

Hmmm... yes, it is true that all previous frequency changes were repeated back save the last one. There's also one other little bobble; I have checked copies of the transcript on different sites and at one point MH370 is quoted as identifying as MAS 377 and the last statement I quote is the tower frequency being repeated:

12:32:13 (MAS 370) MAS 377 request taxi.

12:32:26 (ATC) MAS 37….. (garbled) … standard route. Hold short Bravo.

12:32:30 (MAS 370) Ground, MAS 370. You are unreadable. Say again.

12:32:38 (ATC) MAS 370 taxi to holding point Alfa 11 Runway 32 right via standard route. Hold short of Bravo.

12:32:42 (MAS 370) Alfa 11 standard route, hold short Bravo MAS 370.

12:35:53 (ATC) MAS 370 Tower.

12:36:19 (ATC) (garbled) … Tower … (garbled)

(MAS 370) 1188 MAS 370, thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I wonder if MH is saying we may never know the reason behind the disappearance to cover up the fact that they may know more than they're letting on and they don't want it to get out for some reason?
What they know is that Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) only saves the last 2 hours of audio (the CVR continuously records over itself throughout the flight) and that, from the pings, the plane flew for more than 2 hours after making the turns.

So, even if the searchers recover the CVR, there won't be any audio on it from the time when the plane made its turns. Without the audio, I doubt that investigators will be able to determine what happened in the cockpit at that time.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Sure the Roaring Forties are rougher than the Hudson, but it is possible a plane could ditch in one piece once in a while. This by luck could have been the one time. It may not be probable but it is possible.
Agreed, it's possible, albeit extremely unlikely. However, if the aircraft ditched even reasonably intact, it would have remained on the surface for long enough for the emergency locator beacon to emit a signal. No signal was detected, which is what one would expect if the ditching was not only not "in one piece", but was much more violent, such as a high speed nose-dive.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
How could they enter the locked cabin, who could they call, and how?
It's been discussed in the past that the crew most likely had an agreed upon code to enter the cockpit if need be. It was also said that the FAs could speak to the ground if necessary as well in an emergency.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Agreed, it's possible, albeit extremely unlikely. However, if the aircraft ditched even reasonably intact, it would have remained on the surface for long enough for the emergency locator beacon to emit a signal. No signal was detected, which is what one would expect if the ditching was not only not "in one piece", but was much more violent, such as a high speed nose-dive.
I've read that this aircraft may only have ELTs on the slides/rafts and not on the airframe itself. I am not clear on that. Either way, underwater the ELT would be useless.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 3, 2014 at 10:21 am
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've read that this aircraft may only have ELTs on the slides/rafts and not on the airframe itself. I am not clear on that. Either way, underwater the ELT would be useless.
I have never read anything that led me to question whether the MH370 777 had an elt. To my knowledge, all 777 aircraft have a fuselage mounted elt and I would be surprised if most modern aircraft don't have them, although they apparently are not mandatory. According to this article, the MH370 777 had an elt. Here is an image showing the location of the elt on a Singapore airlines 777:

It's not unreasonable to think that the location would be the same for all 777.

Agreed, the elt signal will not be detected if it's below the surface. But it's on the top of the fuselage, which would be above water if the aircraft landed upright.

My point is that since no elt signal was detected, the aircraft must not have landed in a manner that left the top of the fuselage exposed, even for a short time.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I have never read anything that led me to question whether the MH370 777 had an elt.
I saw references to that over on PPruNe.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 3, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
It's been discussed in the past that the crew most likely had an agreed upon code to enter the cockpit if need be.
If true, that is not a secure lock. Any terrorist could force a Flight Attendant to give him the code. To be secure the door should have a manual lock along the lines of a dead-bolt.

It was also said that the FAs could speak to the ground if necessary as well in an emergency.
Likely another feature of the same inflight entertainment system?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

I'm wondering about the search methodology.

Here is a map showing the cumulative search areas to-date:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...6_02.04.14.gif

Here is a map showing the ocean currents in the area:

The aircraft went down 26 days ago. I'm not sure what the exact drift speed is, but assuming 2 knots, the total drift over 26 days is 1248 nautical miles.

Originally, the crash location was assumed to be south west of where they are currently searching. Then it was decided that the aircraft must have gone down north east of the original location, in the area where they are currently searching. If the assumed crash location is correct, any surface wreckage will be well north of where they are currently searching, so why aren't they searching further north? Coincidently, the only way the current search area makes sense is if the aircraft went down in the area where they originally started searching. However, depending on how far south it went down, surface wreckage may have drifted to the east or to the north. The only way surface debris will be found in the area in which they are looking is if the crash location is to the south.

Anyone else wondering about this?

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm Reason: Removed inline image of first map since too large and causing horizontal scrolling; converted to link
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:39 pm

I'm wondering about the search methodology.
Originally, the crash location was assumed to be south west of where they are currently searching. Then it was decided that the aircraft must have gone down north east of the original location, in the area where they are currently searching. If the assumed crash location is correct, any surface wreckage will be well north of where they are currently searching, so why aren't they searching further north? Coincidently, the only way the current search area makes sense is if the aircraft went down in the area where they originally started searching. However, depending on how far south it went down, surface wreckage may have drifted to the east or to the north. The only way surface debris will be found in the area in which they are looking is if the crash location is to the south.

Anyone else wondering about this?
Yes, the very same day I heard about the shift.

I'm sure 'they' must have known that debris does not drift east, or south east. So I had to wonder just what info they had received in order to make such a seemingly disastrous shift.

One day we read about a satellite shot showing 300? floating objects, then another account of a single object some 23m long? These were never confirmed.
Then, in the blink of an eye, the whole search area shifted N/E? and since that day they have found nothing!

I have to wonder if there has been some over-analysis going on here, the result of which is that they are now looking in the totally wrong area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.