Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:35 pm

I was told after one post 'no it isn't', but the story of Helios, suggests that a plan to do it, with the technical knowledge of how to set the pressurisation to manual, might be possible. Something I have mused over. But seriously..... how long does a pilot have in his daily schedule to plan anything like this? It just can't be narrowed down..... hijacking/pilot suicide/equipment failure with some weird electronic events that led to controlled turns. Incredible... just hope they find it. One thing is certain.... a lot of things will change after this. Things that should have been implemented after AF447

Last edited by cassiewoofer; Mar 31, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by cassiewoofer
...a lot of things will change after this. Things that should have been implemented after AF447
But would they have been in place by now? I'd have thought a decade would be a quick change for in-service aircraft. Are there any precedents for rapid changes to something that doesn't cause accidents (but may help with their aftermath / management)?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cassiewoofer
One thing is certain.... a lot of things will change after this. Things that should have been implemented after AF447
Everyone hopes that when / if wreckage from MH370 is located, things will be learned from it. One could argue that even if wreckage is never recovered, the disappearance makes a good case for changes to how aircraft are tracked. However, whether or not anything changes remains to be seen. There is a lot of inertia in the industry, so I won't hold my breath unless conclusive evidence of a root cause is found. I don't see on what basis you are suggesting that what should change as a result of MH370 is similar to what "should have been implemented after AF447". AF447 happened due to a combination of pilot error, improper cockpit management, pitot freezing and the airbus style of digital flight control system. There is no indication MH370 has any similarity whatsoever to AF447.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by polarbreeze
Anyone know if it's possible to depressurize the passenger cabin from the flight deck?
Presurization is for the entire plane. The pressure in the cabin, and in the flight deck, and in the cargo hold, is the same.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Presurization is for the entire plane. The pressure in the cabin, and in the flight deck, and in the cargo hold, is the same.
So the question becomes whether it is possible to depressurize the plane from the flight deck.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
No, that was for extremely important systems that are in a final emergency powered by the Ram Air Turbine (RAT). A little wind powered electrical generator that pops out of the fuselage.

AIUI in normal flight as long as the engines are running they provide power to lights, TVs, SATCOM, etc. If the engines stop in flight then the APU would try to fire up - I'm not sure if this is because the APU has a role in restarting the engines, or simply to help the cabin crew figure which way is up. So those 'non-essential' services would see power again as long as there is fuel for the APU and until the engines hopefully restart to provide normal power. If there is no fuel left of course then the APU will quickly stop again with no engine restart.
The APU fires up because without power a 777 falls out of the sky, it's fly by wire remember.

The batteries only provide power to one bus (can't remember which in a 777) and that only contains systems critical to keeping the plane in the air plus maybe the cabin intercom and IIRC one VHF radio. This will kick in upon engine flameout and stay on until either exhausted, the APU starts or the RAT deploys.

And in both cases it would have to be a piece of equipment that could detect that it was time to send an emergency message after ~7h of not seeing the need to do this.

I don't know what piece of equipment that could be, and without their being any it reduces (to me) the likelihood of what you propose. Could it be (others will need to contribute):

1/ Vertical accelerometer (presumably not if the plane was still doing what it thought it should)

2/ Ground proximity warning (the thing that says 'Pull up!' on simulators?)

3/ 'In the drink' detector (Would it have long enough to start but not finish? Does it exist?)

4/ Structural failure detector (ditto)
I am not sure that anything on a 777 sends an automated "we are screwed" message, actually I'm reasonably sure that they do not. AFIK #s 3 and 4 don't exist. #1 is unlikely to send anything but it is possible I suppose that #2 may send a message over ACARS but I have no idea if it actually does. Wouldn't be a bad idea to incorporate if it doesn't already.

Originally Posted by polarbreeze View Post
So the question becomes whether it is possible to depressurize the plane from the flight deck.
Sorry I missed this. The answer is yes. Bleed air can be shut off via the bleed air panel and switching the outflow valves (pressurisation panel) to manual-open. The appropriate section of the (simplified) 777 manual can be found here: http://www.smartcockpit.com/download...ir_Systems.pdf

Last edited by trailboss99; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:31 am Reason: combine posts
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:13 am

Would like refer to this article:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...find-the-plane

A diagram in the article above:
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...t-coverage.gif
appears to show that Inmarsat may have had coverage of MH370 through another satellite: 178E POR apart from the one above the Indian ocean. Wikiing Inmarsat shows they do have that particular satellite listed.

I understand that such diagrams may be quite inaccurate. I'm just wondering if anyone can provide further information on the actual coverage range of the INMARSAT 178E POR satellite. If the coverage range does extend that far, would it not have recorded some data for MH370 and therefore make it possible to eliminate some possibilities and refine the search
area? I'm not in any way someone well versed in satellite transmissions, so if I've erred, please correct me.

Also, the pings recorded by Inmarsat, mention 6 handshakes and many articles state that these were recorded hourly.
But in the graph provided by Inmarsat for burst frequency offset analysis, it appears there are more data points observed than 6. The last point does coincide with 0811 MYT but they are not hourly. Would appreciate it if someone could clarify.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by drath
A diagram in the article above:
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...t-coverage.gif
appears to show that Inmarsat may have had coverage of MH370 through another satellite: 178E POR apart from the one above the Indian ocean. Wikiing Inmarsat shows they do have that particular satellite listed.
iirc it was the absence of pings from that other satellite that helped to narrow down the possible flightpaths.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
when does the debris come to land

Assuming the flight ended up in the sea, shouldn't debris be washing up shore soon?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
so, they're now saying the last words from MH 370 were “Good night Malaysian three seven zero”

rather than what they had reported before, as “All right, good night”.

is there a reason this is significant? i can't come up with one (other than that they just aren't being accurate).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by karenkay
so, they're now saying the last words from MH 370 were “Good night Malaysian three seven zero”

rather than what they had reported before, as “All right, good night”.

is there a reason this is significant? i can't come up with one (other than that they just aren't being accurate).
To me the only significance is that it is very odd that the Malaysian team would get it wrong initially and not correct it in a timely fashion.

Sounds entirely normal, although can read a little oddly if you don't insert a pause before the flight ID bit.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gynob001
Assuming the flight ended up in the sea, shouldn't debris be washing up shore soon?
I was thinking along the same lines and I did have a look at a few sites on south equatorial surface currents in the region and the speeds and directions involved seemed to suggest that the first floating debris would make landfall on the north coast of Madagascar in 2016!
I don't know what undisclosed technology HMS Tireless has but lets hope it can home in on that black box signal, though they might need to get every ship in the area to stop all engines for a few days!
Having read more about how unlikely an intact ditching at sea is, I hope the first debris to be found before the black box signal dies in the next 10 days.
The arrival of Tireless is the best news I've heard in weeks!

Last edited by cassiewoofer; Apr 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
It depends on where the aircraft went down and the direction of the ocean currents. If you recall the fukushima tsunami, debris is just showing up on the west coast of north america now.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Not necessarily. If a plane comes apart in the air or comes apart on impact, there are tons of floating stuff inside the fuselage and cargo holds. In a normal water landing, the pax open the doors, inflate the rafts, and the plane sinks with the doors open allowing tons of stuff to float out on its way to the bottom, to join the rafts and pax life vests floating on the sea.

But IF and a big IF a crewmember/hijacker took over the cockpit, and if it is possible to knock out the pax/FAs by depressurizing the plane (while the pilot had his oxygen mask on, fed from a tank that lasts longer than the 15 mins. the passenger drop down masks last), the lone pilot could fly south till almost out of fuel and carefully ditch the plane. The engines and possibly wings tear off (and sink) but the SFO crash shows how darn strong the round 777 fuselage is.

(Look up pictures of the SFO plane. There are closeups of the fuselage on the ground and on the trucks after the plane was cut apart for removal. After smashing the tail, flipping around and slamming the ground, the lower fuselage skin forward of the wing (except of course for the very bottom) does not have a visible wrinkle or blemish. It looks pristine. THAT is a strong Boeing built fuselage. ^)

With no live pax, no doors are opened and the fuselage slowly fills with water. I think it could possibly sink to the bottom intact with all the floatable debris sealed into the aluminum tube. In this case the plane is GONE and there is nothing floating, not even an oil slick, as the plane was out of fuel. Finding the plane would be darn near impossible.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Not necessarily. If a plane comes apart in the air or comes apart on impact, there are tons of floating stuff inside the fuselage and cargo holds. In a normal water landing, the pax open the doors, inflate the rafts, and the plane sinks with the doors open allowing tons of stuff to float out on its way to the bottom, to join the rafts and pax life vests floating on the sea.

But IF and a big IF a crewmember/hijacker took over the cockpit, and if it is possible to knock out the pax/FAs by depressurizing the plane (while the pilot had his oxygen mask on, fed from a tank that lasts longer than the 15 mins. the passenger drop down masks last), the lone pilot could fly south till almost out of fuel and carefully ditch the plane. The engines and possibly wings tear off (and sink) but the SFO crash shows how darn strong the round 777 fuselage is.

(Look up pictures of the SFO plane. There are closeups of the fuselage on the ground and on the trucks after the plane was cut apart for removal. After smashing the tail, flipping around and slamming the ground, the lower fuselage skin forward of the wing (except of course for the very bottom) does not have a visible wrinkle or blemish. It looks pristine. THAT is a strong Boeing built fuselage. ^)

With no live pax, no doors are opened and the fuselage slowly fills with water. I think it could possibly sink to the bottom intact with all the floatable debris sealed into the aluminum tube. In this case the plane is GONE and there is nothing floating, not even an oil slick, as the plane was out of fuel. Finding the plane would be darn near impossible.
Sorry, but I call . This was not Sullenberger putting the A320 down on the smooth Hudson River, this was a 777 landing in the Roaring Forties in the southern Indian Ocean, with significant waves. See this video of Ethiopian 961.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.