Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cassiewoofer
and there's bound to be some oil-slick floating on the surface.
The amount of oil leaking from a crashed 777 would be minimal. The larger amount of jet fuel carried by a 777 acts more like diesel or gasoline when released in the water than lubricating or crude oil - it dissipates much faster, and the "slick" it leaves on the water would be much harder to find than an oil slick.

And if the plane flew to a position 1000 west of Australia, there wouldn't be much jet fuel left.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:33 am

Has it been mentioned/ anyone know IF OR HOW the ELT has been turned off or why no signal has been detected? Does this mean it's too deep under the water.... or it didn't crash, so no high G situation to initiate signal transmission?
(I did try a search but can't see how it points you to the right page or post)

Last edited by cassiewoofer; Mar 23, 2014 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by halls120
We're going to be seeing a lot of these reports until the plane is found. The reality of the open ocean is that there is a lot of junk that gets washed overboard from ships.
Indeed, you only have to spend 15 minutes on Tomnod, viewing those satellite stills, to realize just how easy it is to rack up your own list of potential objects, like seeing faces in the clouds.

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
From today's Malaysian Press Release

3. Update on ACARS transmission
a. The last ACARS transmission, sent at 1.07am, showed nothing unusual. The 1.07am transmission showed a normal routing all the way to Beijing.

Does this not now debunk the "deliberate route change programmed into the FMS" theory? Would the ACARS not have picked it up, and the assertion today that "the 1:07 transmission showed a normal routing all the way to Beijing" put paid to the earlier theory which led to the "deliberate act" conclusion?
I may be wrong here but I understood ACARS to only communicate every 30 minutes.
The assumed change in flight plan is thought to have occurred, or been reprogrammed, after 1:07 but before 1:37 am, when ACARS is scheduled to send its next signal, which never occurred.

Last edited by Wickerman; Mar 23, 2014 at 6:43 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
1. Pilot's involvement is very high
2. Brought the plane up to 45000(approx)
3. Turns off the switch
4. Everyone knocked out no oxygen
5. Flight is on autopilot
6. Flights flies until it is out of fuel
7. Flight eventually crashes and breaks apart.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:18 am

Still nothing?, incredible, what on earth are these US spy satellites up to that I was hearing all about 20 years ago? I don't know how true it was but there were rumours back then that they could read the headlines of the newspapers you were reading!
Size of Indian Ocean - 73,556,000 km²

Size of newspaper - 1m²

So you'd need 73,556,000 x 1000 x 1000 newspapers to cover the Indian Ocean

You need to know where to look before you can read the newspaper - even if you were a metre off then your satellite would not see the newspaper
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:25 am

..... But the resolution of the images we have seen has been terrible,......I was going to say picture the object with a better sat. but Oh yes they were taken ages ago and only detected by eye recently! So there's no high resolution images of the area,.....Thanks Alan... I underand completely now.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Assuming total and complete loss was the intent, routing over the Philippines and turning toward really deep water would have been easier and quicker (Marianas Trench, 35,000 FT deep).
But finding out where the plane went would also have been easier and quicker in that case. Based on the presumed path it appears that the intent was to hide the location.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Everything you wanted to know about the spy satellites that might’ve found MH370 (Washington Post)
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:37 am

Has it been mentioned/ anyone know IF OR HOW the ELT has been turned off or why no signal has been detected? Does this mean it's too deep under the water.... or it didn't crash, so no high G situation to initiate signal transmission?
(I did try a search but can't see how it points you to the right page or post)

I would like to know about the ELT's too. Some people on the news keep bringing it up, but nobody gives an answer!

Anyone?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Why remotely activated? Why not as soon as it deviates from the planned flight path - or sends a signal as soon as the plane stops whether at it's intended destination or elsewhere. Alternatively fit the black boxes in places where they come off in the event of a crash
You need both. Fits different scenarios. For example, a plane is on course but has gone silent. You need a remote activation. You also need options for when things start to go wrong, not just after a crash or incident.

If suicidal the pilot could just point the stick forward on the planned route, if terrorist the pilot just waits until they are flying to a place that is a target and rather than landing points the stick forward.
Nothing requires the plane to respond to any unusual input. Fly by wire systems already do some of that. Software needs to be smart enough to not prevent legit emergency manuevers, so needs careful balancing.

Like I said nothing will be perfect but that shouldn't prevent progress in this direction more than we have had because of the assumptions made.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver

Military pilots, trained in formation flying and equipped with night vision equipment, within the bare realm of possibility. Airline pilots without both, not even.
Not even an exceptionally experienced pilot with his own flight simulator?
(I don't advocate this theory, but I caution its easy dismissal)

Yes, several nations including India, Myanmar and Pakistan, have reported they have no data showing evidence of a large aircraft crossing over BBC and others).
Were they actually looking, was their radar even on?
"No data" does not mean they were awake, alert, actively looking for a renegade 'blip' at 3-4:00am.

Originally Posted by polarbreeze

Using this filter, it seems to me that the northern route must be eliminated because it's not a plan that any perpetrator would think he could get away with without being detected.
Didn't 'he' get out of the Malaysian/Thai/Indonesian corridor without being detected?

All I can say is that searchers may have been a little too hasty in turning their attention south.

Last edited by Wickerman; Mar 23, 2014 at 8:45 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
1. Pilot's involvement is very high
2. Brought the plane up to 45000(approx)
3. Turns off the switch
4. Everyone knocked out no oxygen
5. Flight is on autopilot
6. Flights flies until it is out of fuel
7. Flight eventually crashes and breaks apart.
but all the turns suggest someone was in control, sudden decompression apparently doesn't totally incapacitate you, and first action after decompression would be to drop to around 10k ft. There's nothing that explains all this,... unless it's landed somewhere, somehow avoiding all northern coast of indian ocean primary radar... though there is a gap in primary radar which was clear on a map of radar coverage posted ages back..... which I can't find now.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Wickerman
All I can say is they may have been a little too hasty in turning their attention south.
Right in this thread, when they were initially fousing a lot of resources on the North corridor, some rubber necking armchair quarterbacks said why aren't they looking at the South corridor sooner?

Second guessing is natural human reaction.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
In my mind, both options are equally mysterious...
Same here....I can't reconcile anything accidental and I can't make much sense of anything deliberate.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
How is it these satellites and over the horizon radars can "see" debris but could not "see" the aircraft when it was in the air headed for the area of the debris sightings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.