Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This may sound obvious to many readers of this forum, but the article answers a lot of questions in a non-technial way.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-missing-plane

The Guardian spoke to a long-haul commercial pilot and a former Thomas Cook flight attendant – people who understand aeroplane emergency procedures and rules about access to the cockpit and communication systems – about key details in the competing theories doing the rounds about the plane's fate.
Reading this article I notice a comment made at the end:

How about an attempted 9/11 style hit on Diego Garcia? Whether or not they were shot down or hit the target the USA wouldn't be telling.

I wouldn't even put it past them to ship debris somewhere else which could be why the so called crash area was only pinpointed nearly two weeks after the disappearance. And remarkably the area is about the hardest in the world to survey at this time of year and thousands of miles from anywhere

What do posters think of this as a possibility?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:36 am

Some background on the 777 simulator CNN is using in their reports:

Malaysia Airlines: Mississauga flight simulator stars on CNN

The Mississauga machine is owned and operated by a company called uFly Simulator and provides a vivid experience, says Casado, but it is not a full-scale flight simulator — the kind used by airlines such as Air Canada to train pilots for actual flight.

“There’s a major difference,” says Casado. “This is a fixed-base simulator. It doesn’t move.”
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by brett1982
i dont know where subang is. is this the airport the left from?
Subang is the old name of the old klia. The new klia airport where the flight left from is located in Sepang.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Soozzy

How about an attempted 9/11 style hit on Diego Garcia? Whether or not they were shot down or hit the target the USA wouldn't be telling.

I wouldn't even put it past them to ship debris somewhere else which could be why the so called crash area was only pinpointed nearly two weeks after the disappearance. And remarkably the area is about the hardest in the world to survey at this time of year and thousands of miles from anywhere

That makes no sense whatsoever. The military buildings and other structures on Deigo Garcia are small, one-story (maybe two, rarely) facilities. And there aren't many of them. It would be extremely difficult to "dive bomb" anything as a commercial pilot in an airliner. And there wouldn't be any facility of significant publicity or military value to destroy. Just google pics of the island - actually a coral atoll - and it's obvious.

While there could be aircraft or vessels to hit, again the odds of such a pilot and aircraft being successful would be slim, indeed.

9/11 was undertaken for shock value and terror effect. If someone wanted a similar effect with MH370, surely they would pick a more suitable target than a small atoll with limited hard targets.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:12 am

It looks to me that what the Chinese have come out with bears a striking resemblance to the piece shown on the US sat images.

I don't, why hit a rock in the middle of nowhere when you could just fly on to Beijing or hit Hong Kong or numerous other cities?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by trailboss99
I don't, why hit a rock in the middle of nowhere when you could just fly on to Beijing or hit Hong Kong or numerous other cities?
Also, the KUL-PEK route flies over HKG. They could target something in Hong Kong and no one would even notice anything was wrong before the aircraft was diving towards the city.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Why so little information from the Indonesians? Other countries in the area have confirmed that the aircraft did not go through their airspace, yet if the southern corridor route is to be believed the aircraft will have spent significant time in Indonesian airspace
The Indonesian government stated publicly last week that their radar has not detected anything to indicate MH370 entered Indonesian airspace, countering Malaysia's suggestion to the contrary.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AAA
I did my thing looking for debris on the Tomnod site. The maps I was given were dated 3/18 and 3/16. Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate the satellite photo search on the pictures taken at about the time the plane crashed plus a few days. Any debris seen now would have drifted too far away.

The early debris isn't there now but a concentrated search for the black box beacon in the area by ship could locate it while the battery is still working.

It's really a shame that the Inmersat data wasn't taken more seriously earlier. I have not heard that the northern arc is impossible. It's just that no one can believe that radar didn't see the plane. Does Myanmar have 24 hour radar monitoring and recording?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:19 am

<redacted>

Whether any portion of an iceberg is visible above water depends on its shape.
A largely flat section of drift ice will float just beneath the waves.

As for the latitude, if you compare the latitude of these sightings, at about 44 deg S. with the northern hemisphere, you are just a couple of degrees south of Newfoundland, a place prolific for floating ice.

My immediate thought on seeing the first satellite shots of two floating pieces was that those shaped might be ice, its an option to consider. I'm surprised no-one official has cautioned that this is also a possibility.

It looks to me that what the Chinese have come out with bears a striking resemblance to the piece shown on the US sat images.
I think the concern is that this last image was taken two days later, but the location is west of the previous sightings. The currents generally run west to east in this region so it should have been far to the east not the west.

So, if it is a portion of the plane then it is more likely to be a different section.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 23, 2014 at 11:23 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts; removed quoted text from deleted post
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Wickerman
...I think the concern is that this last image was taken two days later, but the location is west of the previous sightings. The currents generally run west to east in this region so it should have been far to the east not the west.

So, if it is a portion of the plane then it is more likely to be a different section.
There was a graphic of prevailing or anticipated sea currents that I saw a few days ago. I thought the flow was more diverse than that. Maybe someone can point us towards it?

EDIT: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjVGB1AIgAA1NAQ.jpg:medium

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 23, 2014 at 11:24 am Reason: Added graphic link.; removed quoted text from deleted post
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue

It had occurred to me. In one way it makes sense, if you want to attack Diego Garcia and don't have access to modern missiles then a 9/11 style attack is a reasonably good option. On the other hand, if you have the resources to carry out a 9/11 style attack Diego Garcia wouldn't be the obvious target.

However I don't think that America would be covering it up, I think that it would be more in America's interests to boast about foiling an attack. I also don't think they could have recovered the debris and moved it elsewhere in the time available, and anyway they'd want it destroyed altogether as itis probably pretty obvious when an aircraft has been hit by a missile.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MapNerd
The Indonesian government stated publicly last week that their radar has not detected anything to indicate MH370 entered Indonesian airspace, countering Malaysia's suggestion to the contrary.
My earlier musings about Sri Lanka not being included in the search led me to the wrong conclusion: It was apparently because it was clear the plane had not flown there, not because it had flown there.

But its apparent route past the northern tip of Sumatra, and then far to the south, leads me to this speculation:

-- Pilot decides to commit suicide, and to take steps to make himself and his plane "vanish" (who knows why)

-- waits until co-pilot signs off w KUL, then urges him to take a break

-- locks cockpit door, turns off transponder and ACARS systems

-- directs plane to follow programmed route to the west, and climbs to 45,000 feet, suffocating all others on board

-- then descends and routes plane along the border between Malaysia and Thailand, then along the border between Thailand and Indonesia (Strait of Malacca), then along the border between Indonesia and India (south of Andamans), so as to minimize the chance of being intercepted/noticed in time

-- once past all possible radar beacons, turns south towards the most remote possible spot that can be reached

It has been 14 days. Other possibilities seem even less likely at this point. IMO.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
There was a graphic of prevailing or anticipated sea currents that I saw a few days ago. I thought the flow was more diverse than that. Maybe someone can point us towards it?

EDIT: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjVGB1AIgAA1NAQ.jpg:medium
Thankyou for that, as you can see from the image attached to that link, if you see where the 40S intersects with 90E, the currents are easterly to north.

Even less of a reason to think the Chinese flotsam has drifted west from the earlier Australian satellite location.

Last edited by Wickerman; Mar 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
If this debris does not pan out there will be another wave of disappointment. What is happening searchwise on the other end of the ping arc?

Very risky to put all the eggs in this one basket based on a debris sighting. Amazing to me the Australian PM stuck his neck out on this. I guess for bragging rights on their ability to look over the horizon. If they have that capability why didn't they see the plane when it was in the air real time?

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 22, 2014 at 8:26 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:16 pm

The assumed size of this recent piece of flotsam is twice the width of a Boeing 777 wing, plus the wing is triangular and tapered to a point, not rectangular.

If we superimpose a 74ft x 43ft rectangle over a Boeing 777 we can judge that the red rectangle is too large to be part of the plane.

As for it being a part of the fuselage, 43ft is double the width of the passenger compartment.
The piece is far too big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.