Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by alex_b
They haven't found any wreckage yet and because of the length of time since the crash even when they do they will have a very wide search area. Does anyone know what the sea bed topography is like in that area? Unless it's fairly flat it is going to be a difficult search.
Regardless of the actual topography, they said on Sky that the ocean at that point is a deep as Everest is high. That is mighty deep!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Is it safe now to assume, due to this statement, that the aircraft continued flying until it was out of fuel?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:33 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by room317
The airline lost 239 people. Presumably some of these families want to be in Perth if there is wreckage. The airline is just covering the bases before people need to ask.
I understand that. They also just reported that the airline said they would provide boats for family members who wish to visit the location of the wreckage, presumably for a memorial service at some point.

But I'm wondering how long this might continue. In the event of a crash on land you can assume a specific end. Once the site has been cleared. The dead buried. There is some closure.

This could continue for quite some time. I guess Air France would have been similar. I wonder how long Air France continued to provide assistance to families on a day to day basis.

Originally Posted by Eryeal
Is it safe now to assume, due to this statement, that the aircraft continued flying until it was out of fuel?
I would feel safe assuming so.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
I'm sure this question has already been answered at some point in this thread, but:

If the plane ran out of fuel - does it do a straight down dive into the ocean, or more of a stable decent?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
It will glide, it's not going to nose dive right away.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Sky news UK reporting the text message sent to families was in English. Possibly not ideal
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:00 am

<redacted>

Two things:

1. One does not declare 239 people dead without a single physical remain. Even if they are sure MH370 ended in the Indian Ocean they may still wish to presume the aircraft and passengers missing until at least one piece of physical evidence is found.

2. Malaysian PM did not say search would be continued. I am not saying they won't continue but he did not say they would.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 24, 2014 at 10:32 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by beowl
Two things:

1. One does not declare 239 people dead without a single physical remain. Even if they are sure MH370 ended in the Indian Ocean they may still wish to presume the aircraft and passengers missing until at least one piece of physical evidence is found.

2. Malaysian PM did not say search would be continued. I am not saying they won't continue but he did not say they would.
1. There wasn't a single word about fate of the passengers in PM's statement. So no one declared them "dead" yet, at least officially.

2. Isn't it obvious that search will continue, as no sign of wreckage has been found so far?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Posnaner
1. There wasn't a single word about fate of the passengers in PM's statement. So no one declared them "dead" yet, at least officially.

2. Isn't it obvious that search will continue, as no sign of wreckage has been found so far?
The text message preceding the statement did declare them lost.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AAA
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes, I agree. Very sad and unfortunate. I hope it won't take as long to find the black boxes as it did with AF…
Winter is setting in Search will be hard. I'm glad they ruled out the northern arc. I really want to know more about tge analysis that allowed Inmarsat to make that conclusion.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by lewko
Winter is setting in Search will be hard. I'm glad they ruled out the northern arc. I really want to know more about tge analysis that allowed Inmarsat to make that conclusion.
They said it was the Doppler and how the signal was impacted and they were able to tell it was coming from the southern arc and not northern.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by exilencfc
Sky news UK reporting the text message sent to families was in English. Possibly not ideal
Nothing is ideal about this .

If there is a 50:50-ish split of those who preferred to know before the TV announcement and those who didn't then they perhaps got it about right.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:33 am

MH's statement is their own. I was referring to the PM's update. It is also a bit inconsistent that PM made sure not to assume the faith of the passengers while at the same MH texted their relatives everyone on board died.

Officials may also wish to explain (hopefully on the next conference) how chartering to Perth would help all those relatives.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Two things:

1. Plane is gone. Everyone on board is assumed dead. Whether any evidence of the plane is found or not.
2. Search for location of where plane went down is paramount because they need to find the Blackbox. Its really not up to the PM whether the search will continue as the search currently is being held by the Australians.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Officials may also wish to explain (hopefully on the next conference) how chartering to Perth would help all those relatives.
Having been involved in something similar myself (though, fortunately, not as a relative), I recall that many relatives felt better and felt a sense of closure if they had an opportunity to visit either the nearest point on land to the incident, or the presumed location of the incident at sea. Indeed, for some relatives, closure was not possible without such a journey. So while a visit may not be helpful from the point of view of the investigation, it will nonetheless help some people profoundly from a psychological standpoint. And that is a factor that is taken quite seriously by those involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.