Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Thanks for clarifying...sorry to get so rushed. Do they print those on parts b/c why else would the authorities come out with that number?
Maybe they say the access panel number and assumed it to be the P/N. The access panel number will be more prominent than a P/N so that an AME can find the panel quickly.

Boeing P/Ns are quite small in general, unless it's a really old airframe where the P/N might have been written on the part by a person somewhere in the assembly process.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tas246
NOT ME, but some other guy on Airliners.net posted this:
Nice job digging that up!

I still wonder though if they found a number 670BB or BB670 or just 670 (whatever it is) on the plane, it just seems like too much of a coincidence to not hold some lead...also, again speculation and who knows, but just looking at the photos compared to the debris makes it look remarkably similar...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:58 pm

Thats the number, similar to the flap P/N... slice that down the middle and you'll find it looks like what they found on the island.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
It's there... just search "220" in the search query in the link and then click the last result that shows up (scroll down to the bottom)....

Also BB670 was reported by the local french newspaper and then the UK ones so it's possible it was 670BB and they just mixed it up?
Page 220 or 222? Your upthread post said page 222. You appear to be number challenged.

Meanwhile, if BB670 is for real, it appears to fit the serial number nomenclature for a flaperon, based on the pic posted upthread.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Page 220 or 222? Your upthread post said page 222. You appear to be number challenged.

Meanwhile, if BB670 is for real, it appears to fit the serial number nomenclature for a flaperon, based on the pic posted upthread.

Sorry...I read the guy on FlightAware who posted 220 but it is 222...my mistake, I'm number challenged

Yea BB### seems to fit the serial number structure....time will tell but I think it's about as solid of a lead as we've got at this point in time
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Just look up 670 in the guide...I believe the BB might be the Boeing abbreviation
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
I did full index search of MyBoeingFleet it's not the P/N.

P/N is 113W3003-XXX - FLAP ASSY (where XXX depends on the revision number and flap position).
I think you may be agreeing more than you realise .

The PDF divides the aircraft into zones then subzones. According to Page 201, subzone 670 is "Wing Trailing Edge Flap Fairings [Right]".

Page 223 then has various 113Wnnnn parts that appear in subzone 670, but not 113W3003. From a layman's view it appears that the parts there are individual pieces, not a full assembly

jk88usa, what was the source for the BB670 reference?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I think you may be agreeing more than you realise .

The PDF divides the aircraft into zones then subzones. According to Page 201, subzone 670 is "Wing Trailing Edge Flap Fairings [Right]".

Page 223 then has various 113Wnnnn parts that appear in subzone 670, but not 113W3003. From a layman's view it appears that the parts there are individual pieces, not a full assembly

jk88usa, what was the source for the BB670 reference?
French aviation deal which couldn't make much sense of the numbers...I heard it hours later on CNN by a guy but we all know what that holds .... here's a link to the site, scroll towards the bottom

EDIT: More credible sources than French sketch sites...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/malaysia-ai...island-1513234
Or just Google "BB670" and click on news...a whole host of articles
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:09 pm

I know the plane this came from, I've been inside it... I actually know that poster.

Trust me if anybody knows the T7.. he does!

Originally Posted by tas246
NOT ME, but some other guy on Airliners.net posted this:
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
The debris appears to be part of left wing, based on the manual provided by jk88usa, major zone 500 is left wing, 600 is right wing, so if 670 is the marking on the debris, then it might not be from a 777?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
The debris appears to be part of left wing, based on the manual provided by jk88usa, major zone 500 is left wing, 600 is right wing, so if 670 is the marking on the debris, then it might not be from a 777?
Just curious where do you find it's part of a left wing? I'm not saying you're wrong I just assumed nobody could tell which wing it came from just by appearance...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

The AP is reporting US Officials have CONFIRMED the debris is a BOEING 777 FLAPERON (so essentially MH370)...don't worry folks, we here at FlyerTalk beat them to it

On a more serious note...what does this honestly do? I mean yea they've got a piece of the plane but it will likely raise more questions than answers...I can't imagine they'll suddenly be able to track it down in the ocean from this piece...other than dispel rumors it's not there

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ca0fe...ngs-boeing-777
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Just curious where do you find it's part of a left wing? I'm not saying you're wrong I just assumed nobody could tell which wing it came from just by appearance...

The P/Ns on the left are all 5xx, which indicate left wing. OTOH, these two do look remarkably similar, so if it's indeed part of left wing of 777, then BB670 might not be part of Boeing marking at all.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Ignoring the numbers, the debris does not really look like a flaperon. The trailing edge is rounded, not thin.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The AP is reporting US Officials have CONFIRMED the debris is a BOEING 777 FLAPERON (so essentially MH370)...don't worry folks, we here at FlyerTalk beat them to it

On a more serious note...what does this honestly do? I mean yea they've got a piece of the plane but it will likely raise more questions than answers...I can't imagine they'll suddenly be able to track it down in the ocean from this piece...other than dispel rumors it's not there
It would dispel fears that the plane was hijacked and landed somewhere for future terror use. And it would likely confirm that the plane did in fact go down somewhere in the Indian Ocean, as the satellite data suggested.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by swag
It would dispel fears that the plane was hijacked and landed somewhere for future terror use. And it would likely confirm that the plane did in fact go down somewhere in the Indian Ocean, as the satellite data suggested.
Agreed it does that...but honestly besides the 5% of people who've believed that all along...it doesn't do much. It will bring some, albeit tragic, closure to the families, but there's still a lot to be had until they find the entire plane/cause itself.

And, while satellite data did suggest the Indian Ocean now everybody is going to question just how accurate it was on where it went down...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.