Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Really excellent video by Green Dot Aviation published on youtube 3 days ago.
Some genuinely new analysis and information about the flight, in particular analysis of the lowering frequency of long-on requests to the satellite as the APU automatically started up in the fuel starvation phase of the flight and the subsequent calculation of the rate of descent at that time, increasing from -4k fpm to -15k fpm.
Also some analysis of the manual/active turning-off of the TCAS system that resulted in position/no altitude information being transmitted momentarily as the aircraft went dark on secondary radar.
Worth a watch IMHO:
nsx, aphro and poopbunny like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Really excellent video by Green Dot Aviation published on youtube 3 days ago.
Some genuinely new analysis and information about the flight, in particular analysis of the lowering frequency of long-on requests to the satellite as the APU automatically started up in the fuel starvation phase of the flight and the subsequent calculation of the rate of descent at that time, increasing from -4k fpm to -15k fpm.
Also some analysis of the manual/active turning-off of the TCAS system that resulted in position/no altitude information being transmitted momentarily as the aircraft went dark on secondary radar.
Worth a watch IMHO:
What Netflix got WRONG - Malaysian Flight 370
I hadn't realized before that the Co-Pilot got a brief phone signal as the plane turned over Penang.
Xyzzy and crazy8534 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Midships
I hadn't realized before that the Co-Pilot got a brief phone signal as the plane turned over Penang.
Yes, same for me, I didn't know - a brief registered "ping" via his network, but no other information transferred or received.
I found the (albeit with some creative license) idea that he was holding his phone up to the window as the plane crossed over Penang, desperate to make contact with the outside world, as the other passengers and crew lay dead around him, incredibly haunting.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, same for me, I didn't know - a brief registered "ping" via his network, but no other information transferred or received.
I found the (albeit with some creative license) idea that he was holding his phone up to the window as the plane crossed over Penang, desperate to make contact with the outside world, as the other passengers and crew lay dead around him, incredibly haunting.
Agreed. I was going to give you a "like", but it just didn't seem right.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:44 pm

There is a new report out from the aviation safety that states what cargo was onboard, some materials were considered dangerous because two of them if combined could be combustable... I don't know how accurate the report is, but it is from the Malaysian Military, and airlines. It was updated due to 40 of the families that lost loved ones wanted to re-open the case for answers. They are even paying out of pocket in efforts to find individuals, or companies to help them in their search endeavors.

I wonder if other passengers phones picked up service as well. I am wondering if families, authorities whomever can try to follow cellphone tower pings from people onboard. If the First Officer's phone got a hit could they not try to triangulate a smaller search ratio based off of cellphone tower hits?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 6, 2024 at 5:00 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by NativeItalian23
There is a new report out from the aviation safety that states what cargo was onboard, some materials were considered dangerous because two of them if combined could be combustable... I don't know how accurate the report is, but it is from the Malaysian Military, and airlines. It was updated due to 40 of the families that lost loved ones wanted to re-open the case for answers. They are even paying out of pocket in efforts to find individuals, or companies to help them in their search endeavors.
I'm unfamiliar with "aviation safety", is there a web address for them?

I wonder if other passengers phones picked up service as well. I am wondering if families, authorities whomever can try to follow cellphone tower pings from people onboard. If the First Officer's phone got a hit could they not try to triangulate a smaller search ratio based off of cellphone tower hits?
Although I can't say I know for a fact, I imagine that she was still on radar way after Penang long after thee was any possibility of a cell tower connection.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 6, 2024 at 5:02 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:53 am

Yes I have the link I will gladly upload for the aviation safety report they released in 2018.

I am just trying to think of things considering we have all kinds of new technology, and we still haven't been able to find the plane, or anyone aboard the plane, but debris has washed up including interior cabin parts, bur none of the ones who has perished in the accident 239 bodies were never found, recovered, and are still missing. so I am hoping to find ways to narrow it down so peoples loved ones can come home.

The families are trying to reopen the case and are willing to pay out of pocket for individual help, or corporate help in finding their loved ones, so I am hoping that they have peace and closure soon. I have gone over every detail of the flight path, and now reading this aviation safety manifesto they released in 2018 to know more and have a better idea.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 6, 2024 at 4:57 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't believe this thread is still open.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The thought that cargo on-board somehow made the plane g to the Indian Ocean, where it quite obviously went, seems rather absurd.
moondog and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes I have the link I will gladly upload for the aviation safety report they released in 2018.
Wait, so the "new" report was published in 2018?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:27 pm

Thanks, you can edit your post and put the link there, no need to "upload."
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Malaysia in talks over new search for flight MH370 10 years after disappearance

A March 30, 2024 article in the Guardian:
Malaysia’s government has signalled it plans to renew the search for the lost Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, 10 years after it disappeared.

It is in talks with the US marine robotics company Ocean Infinity to discuss a new search operation. The company says it is willing and able to return to the search, and has submitted a proposal to the Malaysian government.

Families of passengers who were onboard MH370 called for a renewed search operation as they gathered ahead of the 10-year anniversary of its disappearance, saying answers were needed for the future of flight safety.
Link to the full story: The Guardian: Malaysia in talks over new search for flight MH370 10 years after disappearance (March 3, 2024)
aphro likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I understand Ocean Infinity are offering a, "no cure no fee" arrangement.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:45 pm

Yet another new analysis. The difference here is if I had to choose to have access to one video channel addressing air incidents: it would be this one - tremendous respect for this guy and his production team, refreshing not to have something associated with the latest book detailing a conspiracy theory to promote sales.

If you are familiar with the story from the "reputable" sources, I'd skip the first 40 minutes. This video looks at the theory that the plane could be tracked using degradation in digital signals as the plane crossed the path of those signals. While I had read about this sometime ago in a technical paper, it was well beyond my scientific knowledge threshold to really understand. Here it is set out in a very understandable way.

Xyzzy and MAXII like this.

Last edited by Midships; Mar 18, 2024 at 12:34 am
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:03 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It is obvious that there are people or countries who know what happened to it but are not talking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.