Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis discounts at highend hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidO
RC has a special promotion when you pay with any AMEX card under their Summer Package.

Stay for 3 nights, pay for 2
Stay for 5 nights, pay for 3
Stay for 7 nights, pay for 4

Daily American Breakfast for Two
Daily Internet
Overnight Valet Parking
Ritz Kids

Plus, receive a room upgrade when you book the Summer Package and pay with any AMEX card from May 1 - Sept 30, 2009.

Here's a website with the promotion. Not sure if it's all days at all properties ... or what.
I just tried 5 random nights (Aug 13-18) for the RC Central Park and was greeted with the statement, "Unfortunately, the special rate you requested is not available. Please make a selection from the room rates listed below." It then proceeded to list rack as my next best option.

So it's clearly pretty limited, especially since mid-summer with a weekend thrown in is low season in NYC.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RichardInSF, availability for this promo (ZEA) is totally different from the (nearly exactly the same) free nights promo mentioned earlier. (PAF) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11656039-post348.html

also, talking to DavidO, it sounds like STARS agents for example can easily get a full "picture" of availability from sales managers.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 13, 2009 at 9:08 pm
Old May 13, 2009, 8:03 pm
In memoriam

I got the email. And I did the same with some random dates and places - including Moscow . Same result. Perhaps a RC reservations person can help one to pinpoint dates when there is availability. Robyn
Old May 13, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I just tried 5 random nights (Aug 13-18) for the RC Central Park and was greeted with the statement, "Unfortunately, the special rate you requested is not available. Please make a selection from the room rates listed below." It then proceeded to list rack as my next best option.

So it's clearly pretty limited, especially since mid-summer with a weekend thrown in is low season in NYC.
We got the same email. My wife tried some dates for RC Central Park over July 4th with the same results It does look like this offer is broad enough to be of some value.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Ritz Paris — 3rd night free & "family plan"

Ritz Paris has just put out an email blast with two different promotions:

One more night offer: 3 for 2

fine print: This offer has a 3 night minimum stay and is valid until Dec. 27th for new bookings only, not valid for existing ones, and subject to the hotel's availability. Not valid during New Year's period and special fairs. Mention "3=2" offer at time of booking. Cumulative.

Ritz family package

Get a complimentary second room for your children for Suite reservation, or receive a 50% savings on second room for Executive room reservation for children up to 18 years old.

fine print: This package is only available for families with 1 to 3 children maximum (up to 18 years old). Valid until Dec. 27 except during special fairs and New Year's period and is subject to availability.

The Virtuoso amenities are not officially applicable with these offers; however, I have been told to contact the sales staff with specific requests in terms of including amenities.

Last edited by DavidO; May 14, 2009 at 10:53 am
Old May 18, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
California Coast Summer Special

I just received word that the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay & Laguna Niguel properties are offering a $199 weekday rate ($249 weekend) throughout the summer. The catch is that the stay(s) must be booked by May 20.
Old May 18, 2009, 4:09 pm
In memoriam

This is somewhat OT - but related to this thread. I am just finishing up our trip plans for New York next week. Deciding about some lunch reservations. I was simply amazed at some of the restaurant specials in New York in higher end places - particularly for lunch. In the range of $25 or so for 2-3 courses at places like Jean Georges - Eleven Madison Park - Cafe Boulud - Nobu - etc. IOW - what you might pay at the Cheesecake Factory! I suspect there are similar restaurant specials in other cities. So check out restaurant websites and food web sites for restaurant specials when you're planning your trip. Robyn
Old May 18, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Robyn, out of interest - what websites are the best to track? Over in New York next month but really have no idea where to start with good websites. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Pursuant to Robyn's posting, 21 Club, 21 West 52nd Street (near MOMA, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral) has a $24 prix fixe lunch and a $35 prix fixe dinner. And being owned by Orient-Express, they even have a Virtuoso amenity ... a complimentary cocktail or glass of wine with lunch or dinner.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Even Thomas Keller is becoming more "accessible"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/di...20se%22&st=cse

OT: I highly recommend Daniel. It boggles my mind why it only has two Michelin stars

http://www.danielnyc.com/daniel.html
Old May 18, 2009, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by francophile
Even Thomas Keller is becoming more "accessible"
from article, re per se lounge >
On the night we went, the à la carte lounge menu had seven savory dishes ranging from $26 to $46.
IMHO really high end restaurant deals = ^ addition to this thread

anything in DC area?
Old May 19, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
IMHO really high end restaurant deals = ^ addition to this thread
Here is a dining deal in Tucson, AZ for this summer. (As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, Arizona is a different kind of 'hot spot' destination during the summer.)

Janos Wilder is a James Beard award-winning chef whose restaurant (Janos) is offering this summer special: $20.09 for an ever-changing 3 course dinner, including: appetizer, entrée and dessert. (Found here.)

If it's decided that restaurant specials don't belong here, then my apologies, and please remove my post.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:00 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Raffles
Robyn, out of interest - what websites are the best to track? Over in New York next month but really have no idea where to start with good websites. Thanks.
Here's a link to a thread which has links to other websites:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=124172

I think most people agree that the lunch special at Jean Georges is about the best in town considering the price and quality of the restaurant. But - if you have a business trip downtown - the roundtrip cab fare will wipe out the savings. A good way to search for specials is to use the NYT website to narrow things down in terms of geographical locations - and then go to individual restaurant websites. Robyn
Old May 20, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: some
Recently did the JG lunch and we thought it was fine. Nothing spectacular but it's a lovely, light dining room and the food is alright. We though the food at le Bernardin was more interesting. They also do a lunch special, although it's more expensive.
Old May 20, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by robyng
Here's a link to a thread which has links to other websites:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=124172

I think most people agree that the lunch special at Jean Georges is about the best in town considering the price and quality of the restaurant. But - if you have a business trip downtown - the roundtrip cab fare will wipe out the savings. A good way to search for specials is to use the NYT website to narrow things down in terms of geographical locations - and then go to individual restaurant websites. Robyn
Jean Georges sister restaurant Nougatine (next door) does a prix fixe ($35)
4 course? menu from appx. 5-6:30 every night except Saturday I think.
It was sensational 3 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.