Crisis discounts at highend hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis discounts at highend hotels?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Recently did the JG lunch and we thought it was fine. Nothing spectacular but it's a lovely, light dining room and the food is alright. We though the food at le Bernardin was more interesting. They also do a lunch special, although it's more expensive.
Are we talking about the "real" JG or the informal "Nougatine" restaurant? (referring to robyng too here). Both are in the Trump Hotel, but the expensive JG is much, much better than Nougatine, which I honestly found to be extremely lackluster. Last I was at JG (in Jan), the menu was $28 for two courses and $14 (I think) for each additional course, and there was a lot of selection. Nougatine I think is $24 for three courses (so I think Robyng may be referring to that). I would avoid it. It's not that Nougatine is bad, it just isn't good. These are all lunch prices.

Le Bernardin is also excellent, and much easier to get a reservation at in my experience than the "real" JG (which is very small).
Old May 21, 2009, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Are we talking about the "real" JG or the informal "Nougatine" restaurant? (referring to robyng too here). Both are in the Trump Hotel, but the expensive JG is much, much better than Nougatine, which I honestly found to be extremely lackluster. Last I was at JG (in Jan), the menu was $28 for two courses and $14 (I think) for each additional course, and there was a lot of selection. Nougatine I think is $24 for three courses (so I think Robyng may be referring to that). I would avoid it. It's not that Nougatine is bad, it just isn't good. These are all lunch prices.

Le Bernardin is also excellent, and much easier to get a reservation at in my experience than the "real" JG (which is very small).
I hate to perpetuate going off topic on this thread. I love food too much. Maybe we should start a new thread on "Crisis discounts at highend NY restaurants?"

I think Nougatine serves its purpose as being a high end casual restaurant. Along with Bar Boulud, it's a great place before or after a performance at Lincoln Center. I've had some memorable dishes there like their prawn salad with miso dressing and peanut butter chocolate graham cracker dessert ^

The main dining room at JG is consistently good, although my last meal there I found the service to be a frosty and perfunctory.

Perry St and Jojo (both with one Michelin star) are both JG establishment and they are excellent.

Matsugen, another JG establishment, is terribly disappointing. I've been to Japan many times. This restaurant is an insult to the country's stellar culinary tradition.

For fellow Daniel Boulud fans, I recently had a $24 prix-fixe lunch menu at Cafe Boulud (one Michelin star):

http://www.danielnyc.com/cafebouludNY.html
Old May 21, 2009, 3:11 pm
In memoriam

We are doing the $28 lunch at JG (there is another special at Nougatine but I like the main dining room at JG better) - and the $24 lunch at Cafe Boulud when we're in New York next week. Will let you know how it goes. FWIW - the former is close to MOMA - and latter is close to the Met.

I also agree it would be a good idea to split off the food discussion as a new thread. Robyn
Old May 21, 2009, 3:49 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
IMHO really high end restaurant deals = ^ addition to this thread

anything in DC area?
Well.. in Boston, Aujourd’hui @ the FS has been offering a discount menu (it's in the $40's, IIRC).

A savouring of Aujourd’hui
Aujourd'hui offers a nightly three-course menu with choice of appetisers and entrée, followed by a delectable dessert. This menu changes weekly. You may view the menu from the sample menus below.
Link to the menu

Be warned, they are a bit sly about actually presenting this menu when you sit down, but if you mention it, it will magically appear.

Alas, another FlyerTalk'er and I deviated from our plan of doing this menu, and had a modified "custom" tasting menu during our visit in late March
Old May 22, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Are we talking about the "real" JG or the informal "Nougatine" restaurant?
The real one. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing bad about it. We had a lovely lunch. And that was it. We never talk about it anymore. Just had lunch today in London at Hibiscus - now that was a different ballgame!
Old May 22, 2009, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robyng
We are doing the $28 lunch at JG (there is another special at Nougatine but I like the main dining room at JG better) - and the $24 lunch at Cafe Boulud when we're in New York next week. Will let you know how it goes. FWIW - the former is close to MOMA - and latter is close to the Met.

I also agree it would be a good idea to split off the food discussion as a new thread. Robyn
I think you got your locales reversed. Certainly JG is a lot closer to the Met than to MoMA!
Old May 22, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I agree with one of the previous posters (can't remember who now. Sorry) that discounts at high end restaurants should be a different thread in another board. Interesting as the info is it's off topic.
Old May 23, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wripro
I agree with one of the previous posters (can't remember who now. Sorry) that discounts at high end restaurants should be a different thread in another board. Interesting as the info is it's off topic.
I agree. I have started a new thread here.

Please contribute restaurant deals there! ^
Old May 23, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice OP Fliar ^

http://www.carrier.co.uk/#/special-offers
- six senses hideaway ninh van bay - pay 4 get 3 plus full board
- le touessrok - pay 5 get 5 plus half board
- OO le saint geran - pay 5 get 2 plus half board

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ond_Night_Free
50% off at 2 tides resorts in mexico

http://www.lesottomans.com.tr/Documents.aspx?Q1=87
5th nt free at les ottomans

http://www.tablethotels.com/lastminutedeals/
great deals 14 days out, hopefully more properties will participate

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
Does anyone have any leads on specials at any of the luxury Asian Spa/Health retreats, like the Chivas Som and the like?

And which would you recommend.

I am male, 45, solo.
Need for some weight loss, fitness work, holistic & would like to try some detox.

Have done lots of luxury hotel, cruise and resort stays but never tried this before as they always seemed so over the top $$$ wise.
I'm loooking at 14 day's min if anyone can help.

Have tried some home web sites, but they seem to just price at rack rates.

Maybe this is agood time to try.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaffa.oz
Does anyone have any leads on specials at any of the luxury Asian Spa/Health retreats, like the Chivas Som and the like?

http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-...cial-Offer.php
six senses destination spa phuket from $668 (for 2 people)
thats down from the ~$2K rates they had when it opened. (double occupancy)

http://www.cse.como.bz/default.asp?s...=6988&showss=1
Until 15th June 2009, The Estate is offering up to 20% discount on select lifestyle and healing programmes.

This limited offer includes a 20% discount on Bespoke Programmes and 15% on Stress Management, Get Fit, Cleansing and Rejuvenation Programmes.
IIRC that would make residences from ~$1600, and tirta ening ~$1800 per night double occupancy.
obviously single occupancy will be less.
Old May 26, 2009, 5:16 pm

Smile Hotel deals in London??

Anybody have suggestions; travel dates are mid-October?
Old May 26, 2009, 5:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by pandp
Depending on your nights, the Ritz London has rates as low as 270£ - and they'll typically extend the Virtuoso amenities at the Best Available Rate:
  • Upgrade at time of booking, subject to availability
  • Daily Full English Breakfast for up to two in-room guests, in restaurant or via room service
  • 50% discount on parking fees for duration of stay
Old May 26, 2009, 6:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jaffa.oz
We love the Nam Hai near Hoi An, Vietnam. You'll find threads with reviews on the property in this forum. They are offering some discounts, such as 3 nights for 2. I don't know if they offer the kind of health spa you seek though, and suggest that you write directly to them. What you are seeking seems to be in line with some of the places I know in the States, such as Canyon Ranch or Rancho la Puerta.
Old May 27, 2009, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by pandp
London is holding up quite well, and in any event you won't see much happening now for October. If you've got an Amex Plat or Centurion, Jumeirah is doing 2-4-1 or 3-4-2, depending on property, if you book via Amex Travel, which would get you into the Carlton Tower or Lowndes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.