Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis discounts at highend hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Crisis discounts at highend hotels?

It is quite likely that the economy will head south and stay there for some time. Naturally, the travel industry, especially high end, will be hit. Shall we pool together information for discounts?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
It's called priceline.com
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold Etihad Gold
In the last few days Ive noticed prices going UP. A couple of weeks ago I booked 7 nights in the Dusit resort Pattaya for £280, last night I checked and they want £109 per night for the same dates.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

define high end.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We were at Four Seasons Hampshire over the weekend. We had booked a B&B rate at £365 per night, but rebooked about 3 weeks ago when they introduced a new package at £365 per night which included breakfast and a £50 hotel credit. However, that is hardly a massive discount!

Four Seasons Florence is still showing Euro 855 for the 3 nights we are there in November for a Four Seasons Room, although I got a discount by booking through Virtuoso.

In general, if you are truly high end, you don't need to discount much. If you are the best in town, those people who want the best in town will go to you whatever your rates - unless the gap between you and the 2nd / 3rd best in town (and these are the guys who really suffer) gets too wide to justify.

It also depends on destination. According to one of the UK newspapers yesterday, UK bookings to the Maldives are sharply down at present. However, the Russians have discovered the islands this year and have taken up the slack (and more) left by the UK fall off.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:07 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by KNRG
It's called priceline.com
Excellent!
I'd like to bid $176 on the Indrakila Suite at Amankila.

Seriously, there might be some deals on luxurylink.com.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I think that luxury properties are loathe to discount their room rates, even temporarily one of the reasons being that it becomes difficult to bring the rates back up to their previous levels once the economic situation improves .

I think that they are more likely to (as noted above) increase offerings of packages, spa and Food/beverage credits, and "get the fourth night free" incentives such as LHW and the Luxury Collection do at times. This can save considerable money - for example, a hotel charging €400 per night will sell a 4-night stay at €1200 instead of €1600, making the effective rate €300 over the entire four-night stay.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:04 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Raffles
Four Seasons Florence is still showing Euro 855 for the 3 nights we are there in November for a Four Seasons Room, although I got a discount by booking through Virtuoso.
Its a real gem of a hotel. Please report back Raffles.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

What you mentioned would still be a discount, a great one.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I think that luxury properties are loathe to discount their room rates, even temporarily one of the reasons being that it becomes difficult to bring the rates back up to their previous levels once the economic situation improves .

I think that they are more likely to (as noted above) increase offerings of packages, spa and Food/beverage credits, and "get the fourth night free" incentives such as LHW and the Luxury Collection do at times. This can save considerable money - for example, a hotel charging €400 per night will sell a 4-night stay at €1200 instead of €1600, making the effective rate €300 over the entire four-night stay.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Agreed. And by making the offer applicable only to multi-day stays, it provides the hotel with increased opportunities for incidental income, making it even more of a win-win situation for both the hotel and for the guest.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
those kinds of specials are always running...
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:02 am

Conde Nast Traveler has an article on this: In short - locations that attract a mostly US$ clientele are starting to offer good deals.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
Conde Nast Traveler has an article on this: In short - locations that attract a mostly US$ clientele are starting to offer good deals.
are any of the specials unusual...?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 24, 2008 at 9:58 pm
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:01 am

Please, if you can afford $400+ a night on luxury hotel rooms, the economy is not going to hurt you so hard you will need a discount.

Just more fear mongering BS.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
What you WILL see is what I found at Capella Castlemartyr in Ireland in July (which IS US$ dependant). The property basically abandons, overnight, the idea of being a luxury hotel and fires a large percentage of its staff, without telling pre-booked customers in advance.

Castlemartyr is now amazingly cheap, by the way. Service stinks but the rooms, pool etc are obviously as they were originally!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.