Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
(it's offical - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...257605581.html)

my question was mainly whether few or many stakeholders

irony meaning getting rid of zecha?

i find it interesting doronin is in current press release but not original press release
Aman, Amanat, strange? Irony would be my characterization as the names of each are distinct.

Eliasch and Amanat have tried to work together before. Doronin and Amanat have been together too. Amanat and Branson seem to know each other but have no relationship with regard to Virgin Hotels.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Aman, Amanat, strange? Irony would be my characterization as the names of each are distinct.

Eliasch and Amanat have tried to work together before. Doronin and Amanat have been together too. Amanat and Branson seem to know each other but have no relationship with regard to Virgin Hotels.
ah, thanks, sorry.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 5:22 pm
Suspended

amanjunkies, how was zecha's departure handled in the media/etc the first time? and how soon did he announce maharesorts?

ah, thanks, sorry.
Want some more irony? Zecha's part Czech, right? So are some Amanats. I don't expect we'll see an Aman in Prague anytime soon, but this last part is just a wild guess on my part.

Some people I know are thrilled this has closed. I'm less positive about what this means for customers.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Don't know the guy. I hope he 'gets it'. Where can I get more info?
Vladislav Doronin (sorry, didn't quickly find better site, but info here is ok)

Johan Eliasch

Both are known to 'get it' in life.

Doronin got Naomi Campbell in bed. Eliasch (Swedish turned British) got Sharon Stone in bed. So why not some new Aman customers?

Could you elaborate? This is the most knowledgeable group of high end travelers on the web.
With all due respect - and I'm on the web too - one does not typically find the real high end spend much time on the web, in particular in forums. There is much more knowledgeable groups out there, but they are also much harder to access. In addition, there is not a representative cross section of target group nationalities on this forum.

Aman wins as best in this discussion group by a *wide* margin.
It also remains my personal nr. 1 hotel group, when thinking about pure holiday destinations.

(This thread maybe if you are new? ... What needs to be fixed about the brand other than making it profitable if it isn't?
I'm not new. I just came back in for a moment.

The bottomline was always fragile, from the beginning. The brand lately deteriorated, even under Zecha's watch. I'm not in the league to give Doronin or Eliasch unsolicited advice on their investment.

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; May 10, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 5:42 pm

He'll be involved, as he thinks he's a real estate genius (and maybe he is, as I'm not a great judge of real estate genius) and as he wants to tell whomever listens that he was involved in this and that in making something (more) impressive/better. I don't expect he has the ability to get more properly involved (without further annoying Aman hotel/resort management/personnel with sort of flash in the pants moments when he comes around) and this is just a trophy investment of sort. In other words, he has the ability to mess it up and will be involved enough to sort of mess things up from time to time. If he or his favorites are on-site when an ordinary guest is there, it may be time to have buyer's remorse. Doronin won't be the one with buyer's remorse.
Nobody could be a more gracious and charming host then Adrian and Bebe Zecha. When they are on property it is them who step aside in the walk way, and give up their chair in the bar if all are occupied. When I first met her she said her husband worked for the company not, " my husband owns it". I hope the new heads of the company behave with the same social skills.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:08 pm
Suspended

zigzag, you can only hope. I would be surprised if the hope is realized, which is why I have hope but expect that hope will not be realized by these guys.

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Vladislav Doronin (sorry, didn't quickly find better site, but info here is ok)

Johan Eliasch

Both are known to 'get it' in life.

With all due respect - and I'm on the web too - one does not typically find the real high end spend much time on the web, in particular in forums. There is much more knowledgeable groups out there, but they are also much harder to access. In addition, there is not a representative cross section of target group nationalities on this forum.

It also remains my personal nr. 1 hotel group, when thinking about pure holiday destinations.

I'm not new. I just came back in for a moment.

The bottomline was always fragile, from the beginning. The brand lately deteriorated, even under Zecha's watch. I'm not in the league to give Doronin or Zecha unsolicited advice on their investment.
The two people you mention above "get it"? Get what? Neither are great hoteliers. Sure both are fans of ice hockey from time to time but what do you expect of someone who has lived in Sweden or Russia and made some money?

The individuals named in this thread are rather arrogant types -- not nasty generally, just unnecessarily arrogant for all the wrong reasons. The majority of the named have been involved in rather extensive internet browsing and even posting habits about themselves and others. These are very OCD image-conscious characters -- self-image not brand-building/customer-focused image.

I am curious where are the much more knowledgeable groups online about such matters? Where are my invitations to access those sites? Let's just say I've not been impressed by invitation-only networks after having checked out a few. Absent critical mass of membership or finding a niche in a niche with a decent enough amount of traffic to come up with multiple responses, it's tough -- not the access, but the matter of getting enough info sharing/extraction.

I do agree that the geographic/demographic skew of this place does have consequences, but it's about as good as it gets in terms of overall travel knowledge and the sharing amongst members (even with regard to the invitation-only online facilities).

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems the problem for aman was debt going back to vaturi acquisition. if zecha sold out 5 years after starting aman, thats something ive not understood.

Originally Posted by zigzag
Nobody could be a more gracious and charming host then Adrian and Bebe Zecha. When they are on property it is them who step aside in the walk way, and give up their chair in the bar if all are occupied. When I first met her she said her husband worked for the company not, "my husband owns it".
Mar 1 2008 http://robbreport.com/Feature-Amans-Man.aspx
He glances again at the guests by the bar. "It’s funny," he says. "They know the Amans, and they know each other, and they know the general manager and staff. But they don’t know me." That, however, is just the way Zecha likes it.
Mar 27 2001 http://archive.today/l3aCj
Originally Posted by Zecha
it's difficult to say what's next because we're never sure. My pet hate is hyperbole of any kind, or advertising. It is counterproductive. Anything could happen that might delay the opening of a resort, so we don't know really until only a few months before opening. At the moment we don't know where we'll open next.
amanjunkies, how was zecha's departure handled in the media/etc the first time? and how soon did he announce maharesorts?
seems it was kept quiet then covered later in a few articles. seems it took ~2 years to open Mahakua-Hacienda de San Antonio.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2014 at 12:42 am
Old May 2, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Curious. Could you name one of these superior forums? Or just hint?
Old May 2, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

seems the problem for aman was debt going back to vaturi acquisition, which i dont understand if zecha sold out a few years after starting

http://robbreport.com/Feature-Amans-Man.aspx

Probably within or less than 2-3 years. How old is Zecha now? Age does come with some compromising.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by zigzag
Nobody could be a more gracious and charming host then Adrian and Bebe Zecha. When they are on property it is them who step aside in the walk way, and give up their chair in the bar if all are occupied. When I first met her she said her husband worked for the company not, " my husband owns it". I hope the new heads of the company behave with the same social skills.
Probably within or less than 2-3 years. How old is Zecha now? Age does come with some compromising.
Yes , they are old school .. , as are many of Aman property owners ( particularly the older Amans ) & who are ' old money ' too .
If these individuals have written anything , the tone of their letters would have been towards other end of spectrum of the PR " announcement " .
Understated and gracious as befits their standing as shown in their manners . If you know & have met them , you will understand what I am referring to .

One can only pray & hope - that it is not ' fat hope ' .

AZ is an octogenarian
So he was hoping for some with similar vision to build on , not only the Aman name ..
Old May 2, 2014, 8:21 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Curious. Could you name one of these superior forums? Or just hint?
His point was that they don't go on forums. There is something to that. I know of a few friends whose families are filthy rich (and they're old money, not nouveau riche). They're Amanjunkies and have never been on this forum (and I mean the friends who are around my age, not their families - who are even less likely to have been on here).
Old May 2, 2014, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by deathscar
His point was that they don't go on forums.
Thank you deathscar. That was exactly my point.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Thank you deathscar. That was exactly my point.
You said, there are other "groups". What are they?

With all due respect, of all the people I personally know who have stayed at Aman resorts none of them have ever heard of Flyertalk, but they don't hear about Aman from other "groups." They get their information via word of mouth, from travel agents, personal agents and from publications like Robb Report.

Not too overemphasize the importance of this forum, but I'm not aware of any source which provides better, more up to date or more comprehensive information on Aman and similar properties.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Old May 3, 2014, 1:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deathscar
His point was that they don't go on forums.
Plenty of the group do nowadays. I've seen the internet using habits of three of the names mentioned in this thread and they and their relatives do. While they don't commonly go on forums to figure out their travel plans, they do browse the internet a lot and plenty are OCD about mentions involving them.

While travel forums are not very important to the group it doesn't change a thing. Plenty of Aman customers only have accumulated wealth of under 10 million (US) dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.