Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Pausanias
I think that Amanpuri and all the Bali places are equalled if not surpassed by other hotels in those locations;
By which other hotels ???
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by deathscar
I don't travel half as much as some of the members on here, and neither do I have half the money (presumably!). I'd gladly pay for a few nights at Aman and take the dent in my wallet/bank account than stay anywhere else in that destination.

Almost all Amans are very unique, whether in decor, location or the cultural experience it provides. What REALLY distinguishes the Amans from everything else - as many have noted - is that it feels like you're a guest at a very wealthy friend's home, rather than just another hotel client. And that is as much to do with the beautiful, understated manner of the design, almost always incorporating heavy elements of local (luxurious) decor, to its fine, fine service.
Totally agree with all of this (budget part too, alas!). There are many tiny details that make an Aman so special, and service is first and foremost. But for me, the one component of the philosophy that really drives it home is food. The food is almost invariably very good to great. Some places you could argue deserve a Michelin star (Amanbagh would be one such for me). But food is never presented or served as if you are in a fancy restaurant, it is always as if you were visiting the home of the perfect wealthy hostess with impeccable and discreet manners. The food is presented simply. Alinea it is not. But it is delicious and easy to eat and doesn't feel like a creation. You don't have to put on a tie or dress up to enjoy it. It feels like home. Which is why, even if they are not inexpensive, they are worth every penny. There are individual properties which are certainly as good (Awasi, Fogo Island Inn, many safari lodges to name some I have visited). But no "chain" which is as consistently great in such private locales.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Some places you could argue deserve a Michelin star (Amanbagh would be one such for me).
Really looking forward for next month Amanbagh Chhatri birthday dinner. ^
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Sean F , now GM at No'i , tells me that 5 new villas are planned for ' 15 .
Looking from the ocean , they would be located towards the left of the main pavilion/ cliff pool .
These are for sale
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:18 am

While Puri seems to be evolving ( not for the better during the change in ownership Colony C fiasco I might add ) - what with 2 F & B outlets opening this month , in Dec ; use of 3 types of new ' buggies ' including electric ones , service seems a bit stretched . Even at 100% capacity , this would not have been the case during ' the days of old ' . ( But Phuket is getting crowded & seasoned staff have to be appreciated by the owners as they keep the Aman family spirit going .)
Also new BMW 7Ls .
So while hardware is being worked on , ' software ' needs more rigorous practise including English comprehension for ' newer ' team members . Less service recovery required then , & even this can be way better .
Anticipatory hallmark of Aman ethos has to kept a priority along with sincere warmth .
Being the pioneer Aman , perhaps it is resting on its privileged laurels . I feel some others are now flying the Aman flag better . The older GMs understand & so do many newer ones who have the Aman spirit . Many Amanjunkies are thankful for this .
We shall see what happens over the CHRISTmas & NY peak period & beyond to our Puri home . But of course , we will be at our other Aman homes too to see how things are .
We are only comparing Aman with Aman
This is FT after all & jetting about is the norm .

Thoughts about any other Amans you have been at recently ?

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 30, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reason: Add info
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
While Puri seems to be evolving - what with 2 F & B outlets opening this month , in Dec ; use of 3 types of new ' buggies ' including electric ones , service seems a bit stretched . Even at 100% capacity , this would not have been the case during ' the days of old ' . ( But Phuket is getting crowded & seasoned staff have to be appreciated by the owners as they keep the Aman family spirit going .)
Also new BMW 7Ls .
So while hardware is being worked on , ' software ' needs more rigorous practise including English comprehension for ' newer ' team members . Less service recovery required then , & even this can be way better .
Anticipatory hallmark of Aman ethos has to kept a priority along with sincere warmth .
Being the pioneer Aman , perhaps it is resting on its privileged laurels . I feel some others are now flying the Aman flag better . The older GMs understand & so do many newer ones who have the Aman spirit . Many Amanjunkies are thankful for this .
We shall see what happens over the CHRISTmas & NY peak period & beyond to our Puri home . But of course , we will be at our other Aman homes too to see how things are .
We are only comparing Aman with Aman
This is FT after all & jetting about is the norm .

Thoughts about any other Amans you have been at recently ?
We were at Amansara in January and will be at Amangiri in April. Amansara was exceptional. But Amansara's only true 5 star competition is the newly refurbished Park Hyatt Siem Reap. Not really competition there, if you ask me.

Amanpuri has far more competition in Phuket, and that means that Amanpuri doesn't necessarily offer the same exceptional difference to everyone for the price point. When Amanpuri was the only resort of its kind in Phuket, it stood out more; now, the sheer number of comparably excellent resorts in Phuket means that Amanpuri, while still outstanding, may not stand out in contrast as much as it once did. Amanpuri didn't change as much as the competition vastly increased and vastly improved to compete. (For the record, we've not been to Phuket, but we've heard about all of the top resorts there from numerous friends who've been, not to mention following reports here on FT.)

Aman properties that are often considered the best are also those in the more remote locations with virtually no direct competition. Amanpulo is the only true high-luxe resort in the Philippines; Amantake and Amansara are the only examples in their cities. Amangiri and Amangani are the same. Amanjiwo is the perfect example of this, as well, and is still my favorite Aman ever.

Amanyara in Turks & Caicos has the Parrot Cay COMO property competing with it. Amankora in Bhutan now has the COMO properties competing. Aman Grand Canal in Venice has numerous top properties competing with it (Gritti in particular IMO). Aman Summer Palace in Beijing is nice, but it has plenty of competition. Even Amandari and Amanusa have numerous properties competing with them, including the perhaps superior (by many accounts) COMO Shambala. Amankila is a bit more remote and has less competition, and is generally acknowledged as the best Aman in Bali--coincidence? I think not.

Aman is spectacular, but it is most worthy and considered the best most often when it has no or less competition IMO.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:08 pm

^ +1

Well , you ' ll have to experience Amanpuri then !
How can you not visit the ' flagship ' ?

You ' ll still find it stellar ! The best in Phuket , just that I ' ve been since ' 89
Sandra W & team are doing a rather fine job keeping up , considering the environment .

And do go to No'i too to complete your Indochina Amans
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
^ +1

Well , you ' ll have to experience Amanpuri then !
How can you not visit the ' flagship ' ?

You ' ll still find it stellar ! The best in Phuket , just that I ' ve been since ' 89
Sandra W & team are doing a rather fine job keeping up , considering the environment .

And do go to No'i too to complete your Indochina Amans
I confess to being less excited about Phuket--partly because so many Americans go there (and Thailand) for holiday. We are more inclined to travel abroad to less American-prone destinations that offer the same types of environments, as we enjoy meeting people from other nationalities and in less popular and more out of the way/remote locales. Amano'i is definitely on our list, but we likely first will hit Amanpulo on that side of the world. (We've been to all of the Amans in Indonesia, as well as Aman Summer Palace and Amansara this past January, and have Amangiri coming up in April 2015.)

So it's less likely we'll hit Amanpuri but that has less to do with Amanpuri and more to do with that fact that we would opt for other luxe and remote beach destinations given the choice. But you can bet that we'd stay there if our travels left us time in Thailand for other reasons. And we're dying to go back to Amanjiwo.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:38 pm

Well , most recently , I saw / spoke with Aussies , Indians , Singaporeans , think only a couple of Americans who are expats like in Tokyo & the region . Also some from the EU . There was , btw , an American GM taking a breather , on actually his first visit to Puri
So you should go , it really is an international bunch .
There was a photo shoot taking place with a global team ( mainly in a villa ) & on the beach when I think no one was around - with set up at 5 am ..

We ' re looking forward to Pulo & catching up with the Aman family in a few weeks

You be very pleased that Ian W is now at Jiwo , perhaps you met him in China .
When you visit N'oi & Sean F , you can perhaps swing by Puri along with Jiwo @:-)
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://announce.ft.com/Detail/?DocKe...G9VR7A7NOO2CF0
4 December 2014
Playa Grande Club & Reserve ("Playa Grande" - www.playagrande.com)
The construction of the Aman Hotel continues on schedule with opening anticipated in Autumn 2015. The service buildings have been completed whilst the main lodge and pavilions are c. 60% complete. The designs for the beach club / kids' club and golf clubhouse / spa / fitness are nearing completion, with commencement of construction anticipated in the first quarter of 2015.
As previously announced on 12 November 2014, DCA Holdings Six Ltd (the Company's subsidiary, holding the Group's shareholding in Playa Grande) closed a $30.5 million mezzanine debt investment with Melody Business Finance. This funding enables Dolphin to accelerate the completion of all complementary leisure facilities to the Aman Hotel (including the Aman beach club, golf clubhouse, spa, gym, tennis, kids' club, hiking and equestrian trails), and to cover all general project overhead costs and debt service until the project becomes cashflow positive without relying on further pre-sales.

[aman]Kea Resort
Completion of these loan facilities is targeted for the first quarter of 2015.
Given the advancements achieved during the period both with regard to the project's bank financing and permitting status, Kea Resort is now considered to be the Company's fifth Advanced Project.
http://announce.ft.com/Detail/?DocKe...130I9JE1I7BQ7M
Dolphin Capital Americas ("DCA")
Following the Letter of Intent signed by DCA to acquire one of the largest privately owned islands in the Bahamas through a corporate merger transaction on 24 March 2014, the Company conducted extensive due diligence and decided not to proceed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Ahn Luh Zhujiajiao Will Have 35 Chinese Villas in Shanghai

Here is what you need to know: there are six hotels in the pipeline, all in China for now, but international expansion is part of the plans. First up, with an opening this year, is Ahn Luh Zhujiajiao in Shanghai (above), in a historic suburb of Shanghai. The brand’s flagship Ahn Luh Thousand Island Lake will open next year, as well as Ahn Luh Lanting in Shaoxing, Ahn Luh Dujiangyan, and Ahn Luh Yanming Lake. A beach resort at Xunliao Bay (near Hong Kong) will arrive in 2017, while Ahn Luh Yichun will open in 2018 in an area known as “the natural oxygen bar”, with the world’s largest Korean pine primeval forest and an annual average temperature of 1C (34F).
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...as_in_Shanghai
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Thread is closed - please use 2015 thread!

It's here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...5-edition.html
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in just one year, this thread received >
80,263 views (10th highest in this forum)
522 replies (9th highest in this forum)
because of the sale of amanresorts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.