Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 1:48 am

The changes seem to be for the better from my understanding. I have just returned from Amanpulo, had a drink with Tapa the GM one evening and had a few nights with Chrissie (International Sales) Both suggested the changes were very good for the future of Aman and (as someone kindly suggested above) "dead wood" needed to be cleared. And for a number of reasons which will likely be made clear in the future, some of the changes needed to be made with immediate effect. Always changes create hype and speculation but it would seem internally staff are very comfortable with the changes taking place.
Old May 2, 2014, 1:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Quite. Let us just hope that Vladimir does not want to become involved...
Why so pessimistic?

Doronin is the coolest, most tasteful and stylish of all the billionaires out there, including in particular the US nerds (eg. Bill Gates & FS, Ellison and his Hawaiian island, ... ! ) or Plattner or ... you name one.

I trust Doronin can turn around the downward trend at Aman. ^

Johan Eliasch has a track record in brand revival. ^
Old May 2, 2014, 2:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Welcome to FT !
Did we cross each other , CWTravler ?

FYI , Chrissie is no longer on Bali but now based in Manila / Pulo .

Yes , my hints
Old May 2, 2014, 3:10 am

Aman operational managers are used to being cosseted from the realities of corporate management styles. This is a fierce takeover - make no bones about it.

Although their (Tapa and Chrissie's) opinions may have some validity naivety on their part of the bigger picture may not foresee the impact of the structural changes of the branding and future operations at Amanresorts.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:27 am

New update : POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT

Rohini Nordmann, General Manager of the Central Sales office has also been asked to leave.
This would directly mean that a new sales structure and target market will be in place shortly.

An Aman entity which never really made sense........
Old May 2, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

zecha just left.

anyone seeing press coverage? maybe not much hope for any, unless zecha starts another company.

employees are not going to criticize someone who can terminate their employment.

"Chrissie Lincoln International Sales Manager at Amanpulo" hmm?

kai878, are you saying that removal of GM implies closure of sri lanka sales office?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
I trust Doronin can turn around the downward trend at Aman.
Don't know the guy. I hope he 'gets it'. Where can I get more info?

Johan Eliasch has a track record in brand revival. ^
Could you elaborate? This is the most knowledgeable group of high end travelers on the web. Aman wins as best in this discussion group by a *wide* margin. (This thread maybe if you are new? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-been-11.html) What needs to be fixed about the brand other than making it profitable if it isn't?
Old May 2, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Don't know the guy. I hope he 'gets it'. Where can I get more info?

?
He used to have Naomi Campbell as a girlfriend and has now moved on to a younger taller model (in both senses of the word) - do you need to know more? He's definitely 'new money' unless he's a Romanov!
Old May 2, 2014, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't know if this is true, but rumour has it that Omar Amanat's Peak Ventures could not come up with the money to buy back Aman, so asked Russian billionaire, Vladimir (or Vladislav) Doronin to help him out with $300 million.
The names are accurate in some sense but I won't keep comments about inaccurate elements.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking at the financials ive posted, it has seemed that debt is the thing that kills aman profit and leads to ownership changes
more new debt in latest transaction wont help any, but billionaire involvement now suggests fewer ownership changes

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The names are accurate in some sense but I won't keep comments about inaccurate elements.
feb press release - "Peak Hotels & Resorts Group Ltd" and "Nader Tavakoli"
seems indian media mentioned Omar Amanat / Peak Ventures

current release - "Vladislav Doronin…lead investor [in aman]" and "Johan Eliasch"

some of the parties involved may have been in order to access financing, transaction law firms mentioned financing
indian media suggested that it was lack of financing that led to failure of first announced sale

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Ooops. Out of the frying pan, into the fire?
He'll be involved, as he thinks he's a real estate genius (and maybe he is, as I'm not a great judge of real estate genius) and as he wants to tell whomever listens that he was involved in this and that in making something (more) impressive/better. I don't expect he has the ability to get more properly involved (without further annoying Aman hotel/resort management/personnel with sort of flash in the pants moments when he comes around) and this is just a trophy investment of sort. In other words, he has the ability to mess it up and will be involved enough to sort of mess things up from time to time. If he or his favorites are on-site when an ordinary guest is there, it may be time to have buyer's remorse. Doronin won't be the one with buyer's remorse.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
feb press release - "Peak Hotels & Resorts Group Ltd" and "Nader Tavakoli"
seems indian media mentioned Omar Amanat / Peak Ventures

current release - "Vladislav Doronin…lead investor [in aman]" and "Johan Eliasch"

some of the parties involved may have been in order to access financing, transaction law firms mentioned financing
indian media suggested that it was lack of financing that led to failure of first announced sale
The names are accurate.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He'll be involved, as he thinks he's a real estate genius (and maybe he is, as I'm not a great judge of real estate genius) and as he wants to tell whomever listens that he was involved in this and that in making something (more) impressive/better. I don't expect he has the ability to get more properly involved (without further annoying Aman hotel/resort management/personnel with sort of flash in the pants moments when he comes around) and this is just a trophy investment of sort. In other words, he has the ability to mess it up and will be involved enough to sort of mess things up from time to time. If he or his favorites are on-site when an ordinary guest is there, it may be time to have buyer's remorse. Doronin won't be the one with buyer's remorse.
hrmm >

rather familiar with what happened, including about provisions for staying at Aman.
sounds like not a coincidence that this was posted shortly before press release >

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Tokyo is now apparently delayed to September, because Mr. Doronin has suggested some changes to made...
The names are accurate.
can zecha start another company, or is there a non-compete?

doronin is majority? how much of a majority?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hrmm >

can zecha start another company, or is there a non-compete?

doronin is majority? how much of a majority?
Given the mention of BVI and trusts' involvement, isn't it obvious that the financing's transparency was always intended to be rather publicly lacking in some ways?

Aman wasn't named for a party named above -- ironic (as I had mentioned it would be months ago).

There is a limit to what I am willing to share and/or how I am willing to share. It's just the result of the nature of not compromising my associates for my own gain, material or otherwise. If FinCEN has stuff going on and it makes the rounds a la Snowden, then I'd be far more open.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 2, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the mention of BVI and trusts' involvement, isn't it obvious that the financing's transparency was always intended to be rather publicly lacking in some ways?

There is a limit to what I am willing to share
re transparency, it was interesting looking at lee hing and DLF financials for aman

my question was mainly whether few or many stakeholders

“I am delighted to partner with Peak Hotels & Resorts, who not only share my vision for Aman’s future growth but are absolutely committed to sustaining our company’s reputation for many decades to come,” said Adrian Zecha.
DLF doesn't know all the details about the buy side players, but Zecha was comfortable with his buy-side backers' funding ability and so was DLF satisfied.
i find it interesting doronin is in current press release but not original press release

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 2, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.