Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:21 pm
BLV

I don’t agree about 7 nights being too long for a stay on Capri. The worst way to see that island is by checking off the “piazzetta/blue grotto/beach club”, shrugging one’s shoulders and saying “I don’t get the appeal” after staying a night or two. Capri and Amalfi Coast are 2-4 week destinations ideally and 7 days on Capri (while too long for me, but only because I find Il San Pietro to be an ideal base for my needs) would be a week well spent. Punta Tragara would be my hotel choice.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:52 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thanks. Capri is a perfect base for us. To be honest, I didn't love much about Positano/Ravello/Amalfi/Praiano that warrants me rushing back to any of them in a hurry. Actually - in Positano there is a store La Bottega di Brunella which has the most amazing linen clothes that are made on-site. I'd go back to Positano to shop there.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
I will also agree that staying on Capri for multiple nights is a good plan. We were in Capri last month and stayed 5 nights at Capri Tiberio Palace and loved it. The island has its own charm, especially after all the tourists/ferry boats leave at the end of the day. Capri Tiberio has an amazing location in the heart of things. I could also see someone staying there for 3-5 nights and then also staying at Caesar Augusts for 1-2 nights for pure relaxation. PM if you'd like more details.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:42 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Thanks. Capri is a perfect base for us. To be honest, I didn't love much about Positano/Ravello/Amalfi/Praiano that warrants me rushing back to any of them in a hurry. Actually - in Positano there is a store La Bottega di Brunella which has the most amazing linen clothes that are made on-site. I'd go back to Positano to shop there.
I much prefer the husband & wife team behind Bottega D’Ago in Ravello 😎
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Actually - in Positano there is a store La Bottega di Brunella which has the most amazing linen clothes that are made on-site. I'd go back to Positano to shop there.
Originally Posted by BLV
I much prefer the husband & wife team behind Bottega D’Ago in Ravello 😎
Linen Wars!

As one who loves linen to stay as cool as possible, I'm intrigued. Do those have men's clothing, too, or only women's?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:38 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Linen Wars!

As one who loves linen to stay as cool as possible, I'm intrigued. Do those have men's clothing, too, or only women's?
I only have a need for mens clothes! La Bottega di Brunella had a lot of oversize, loose, kind of shabby styles which I like for myself. Also some nicer dressier pieces - I bought an outfit for my friend's Tuscan wedding here.
I can't wear cotton in Italy in summer. The minute I put on a cotton t-shirt, I am a sweaty mess. I basically bought a bunch of linen shirts from this place when I got to Positano (on a fashion designer friend recommendation) and then lived in the for the rest of my stay in the country.

Originally Posted by BLV
I much prefer the husband & wife team behind Bottega D’Ago in Ravello ��
I looked them up online - they don't mention men at all, only women. Any mens?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:52 pm
BLV

It’s a very small shop and I don’t recall if I saw men’s, but given the fact that they made a dress for me in an hour based on the color I liked on a totally different piece of clothing, I am somehow positive making a men’s shirt/pants won’t be an issue. You essentially tell them what you want and they make it happen.

And in order to keep this on topic, here are some views from last month at Il San Pietro:
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:06 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

You take glorious pictures, BLV. I've seen articles about the hotel in magazines that do a far lesser job than you. I stayed at the hotel because your pictures made it so inviting.
ABG, BLV and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed amazing pictures!
BLV and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:16 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You take glorious pictures, BLV. I've seen articles about the hotel in magazines that do a far lesser job than you. I stayed at the hotel because your pictures made it so inviting.
thank you 😊
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Think about a short sty after a few nights in Rome and Posta Vecchia in April. Anyone stayed at this time? Hotel wise I think would be San Pietro.
How long would you stay at a first time visit? Consider 3 or 4 nights.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:12 pm
Was sydakllon

If first time, I'd probably do 4 nights (3 full days). By the time you do a day in Positano and a day in Ravello/Amalfi or Capri, you've lost all your time to relax. That said, you could do both those trips as half-days in the morning/afternoon - Positano is boring and touristy, and Ravello takes about an hour to feel like you've done it (coffee, a villa/garden, a square, etc.).
offerendum and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:02 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Think about a short sty after a few nights in Rome and Posta Vecchia in April. Anyone stayed at this time?

We stayed in late April 2014. Weather was great and days were getting longer. It wasn't yet beach weather and it was drizzly one day for the beach side restaurant at Il Positano. Fortunately, they also have inside seating.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22803673-post28.html
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:26 pm

Has anyone stayed or has any thoughts on IL Piccolo Sant'Andrea? https://www.hotelpiccolosantandrea.com/

It seems be a fairly new establishment?

It'll be our first trip to the area . Planning early-mid august - 4 nights in the Amalfi coast and probably 1 night in Naples before heading back home. Just looking to relax, taking it easy, do a little bit of hiking and generally just enjoy the area. Not looking to spend much time on the beach (sounds like it'll be crowded and we get a healthy dose of it in the Carribean anyway ..lol) but do want to enjoy water/water views! (Only must do's on our list is the cooking class in Rovella and visit pompeii . Plan to do pomeii on our last day back enroute to Naples.)

Your thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by neony77; May 30, 2019 at 3:36 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:01 pm

Just came back from a long weekend in Capri/Positano. Some observations:
- JK Place is excellent, overall good service, good hardware, great pool and gym, beautiful views and decent location - close enough to town with complimentary shuttle service. I in general prefer smaller hotels with more personal touch like JK. Would come again
- Le Sirenuse, albeit also having excellent service and views, the place feels crowded. It's too small for the capacity and it was certainly the smallest room I ever had at EUR1.4k a night. The location in the center of the town is not a plus for me (too touristy and no private beach). The restaurant and bar are excellent
- we only had lunch at Il San Pietro but would stay here next time we return to Positano from initial impressions. Beautiful gardens, views, more spacious, private water access.
offerendum, SojournsOf and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.