Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:03 pm
BLV

Regarding “subpar quality food”. Very curious about that because I just spent 3 weeks there and ordered room service a few times, as I always do every time I stay there. I’ve always been of a stellar opinion of the food at ISP and don’t consider my taste to be pedestrian (obviously ) There are, of course, off days for everyone but not a single time I can recall having food there that I’d refer to as “subpar quality”, so do tell :-).
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
I also purchased that voucher. Mine said “room with a sea view” 😬

Considering that 63 goes for €2200/night in high season it’s a GREAT deal, any way you slice it.
It’s not so much the value that’s the issue, more that they confirmed a different room and switched us to a different one without any notice and then acted like they did nothing wrong when we asked.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
Regarding “subpar quality food”. Very curious about that because I just spent 3 weeks there and ordered room service a few times, as I always do every time I stay there. I’ve always been of a stellar opinion of the food at ISP and don’t consider my taste to be pedestrian (obviously ) There are, of course, off days for everyone but not a single time I can recall having food there that I’d refer to as “subpar quality”, so do tell :-).
The food at the restaurants were good. But this…

Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:14 pm
BLV

Next time just go for this for room service. And no boring white plates either

Nizar and Fc912 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:56 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fc912
We had a lengthy discussion with the FOM and he was defensive until we showed him the multiple confirmations he himself sent us, which finally persuaded him to admit his mistake and offer an apology. Nonetheless, he was arguing until the end and kept insisting that we “got a good deal.” He would not commit to proposing a solution even though I gave him time and told him he could follow up after we leave and maybe discuss the issue with the GM. It has been a couple of days and I’ve yet to hear anything from him, not even a follow up email confirming the discussion we had. This has left a very bad taste in our mouths and essentially erased the generally good time we had on site.
Sounds like a typical Italian hotel manager type. They are all nice and chatty, until a problem arises. Then it goes through the steps:

avoidance (maybe the guest will forget about it)
defense (not my/our fault, you are misunderstanding/misinterpreting)
apology (problem solved, but without actually having solved anything)
delay (can't make a decision, we need to ask the GM/owner/prime minister)
hide (ignore the problem)

Not saying all are like this, but I've had quite a few experiences like this. Many hotels in Italy are very hierarchical, with the staff (including upper management) not empowered to make decisions.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Sounds like a typical Italian hotel manager type. They are all nice and chatty, until a problem arises. Then it goes through the steps:

Not saying all are like this, but I've had quite a few experiences like this. Many hotels in Italy are very hierarchical, with the staff (including upper management) not empowered to make decisions.
They’re definitely in the hiding stage…very disappointing for one of the “best” hotels on the coast. I wonder if the owner calls all the shots here?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fc912
The food at the restaurants were good. But this…

Amazing
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:53 am

I finally received a response from ISP after sending a reminder saying I'm still waiting for a resolution. In the same email, I said they could either 1) credit me the rate difference between a signature and premier, or 2) provide a hotel credit of the same amount and an upgrade the next time I stay.

This is what the General Manager responded with:
"Even though the Signature room was not available at the time of allocation due to an oversight and we had to assign a Premier room. Definitely, it was not a downgrade, if we consider downgrade a loss of value. In addition, it should also be taken into account that both extras and city tax were removed from the bill at the time of departure." (emphasis mine - and the "extras" he refers to included about four cocktails).

Need I say more? They really live in a fantasy. I responded and wished them luck, and gave them some suggestions on how to cheat guests better next time by not assigning a room that's advertised on the website as being a lower category to downgraded guests. Hopefully they take that to heart!
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:23 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Did you contribute to the script for The White Lotus?
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Belmond Caruso for sure. I'm going back to revisit some of the suites will post feedback here
The Caruso is simply the best. Having stayed both here and at Le Sirenuse, I much prefer the peace and quiet in Ravello vs. the bustle of Positano. Everything about this hotel experience was just about perfect: the food was consistently exceptional, the facilities are immaculate, and the service is so gracious and friendly. Big props to the ever-present GM, Alfonso Pacifico, for his dedication to the property. I actually saw him bending over to pick a stray leaf or two out of the pool one morning.

The Caruso might not have the glitz of Le SIrenuse, ISP, or the Palazzo Avino next door, but its understated elegance is just my speed.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:39 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I'm super intrigued by Borgo Santandrea. Putting on my list for 2022.

https://borgosantandrea.it/en/home/
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by smichelm
The Caruso is simply the best. Having stayed both here and at Le Sirenuse, I much prefer the peace and quiet in Ravello vs. the bustle of Positano.
Would it make sense to do both ?
Positano to hustle and bustle then Ravello to chill ? Or not really ?
Been wanting to visit the Amalfi coast for years...
Old Sep 30, 2021, 9:05 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nizar
I liked doing both. It was a good contrast. I liked Ravello a lot but I also liked being on the water.
Nizar likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Originally Posted by Nizar
Would absolutely make sense to do both. One could easily spend 3-4 nights in each location.
Nizar likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I liked doing both. It was a good contrast. I liked Ravello a lot but I also liked being on the water.
I also really liked doing both. We did Ravello and then ISP and thought it was a great combo. Ravello at night is so peaceful.
smichelm and Nizar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.