Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:34 am

Do people really accept that seriously grotty sun-lounger and 'beach' area of the San Pietro?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Do people really accept that seriously grotty sun-lounger and 'beach' area of the San Pietro?
Seems so
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:01 pm

We loved Belmont Caruso.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:55 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Probably an important reason is that that the San Pietro "beach area" and loungers is much better than the alternatives around in the area. As far as I remember, no beach club or similar close to the sea had loungers with trick mattresses for example.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:02 pm

Wrapping up a week in the region and will update with more thorough thoughts soon. Stayed at the Tiberio Palace in Capri (average), Monastero Santa Rosa (excellent), and now at ISP which is turning out to be a giant disappointment. Stunning location and great hardware. We got room #63 which is right next to the pool and has a great view of the sea and partial view of Positano. It does lack privacy as it looks out onto the bar terrace and people can see into the bathroom and bedroom easily at night. Our friend is in #55 which has a stunning terrace with panoramic views and is right off the elevator down the stairs from the parking lot. Unfortunately the service felt regimented and stand-offish except from a select few (entire beach club team, Roberto at Zass, one lady at the reception). Concierge wasn’t helpful and sent us to Le Sirenuse for drinks and made no attempt at calling to help secure a table and said we should be able to get a table. Felt strange as we wanted to go at 6:30pm on Saturday but we stupidly trusted the concierge and of course wasted one hour and couldn’t get in. Biggest issue is that we discovered today that #63 is one category below what we booked and the front desk’s response was less than apologetic and borderline insulting. Waiting to speak to the GM tomorrow morning but what a giant turn off. If you’re going to bait and switch at least give me a room that doesn’t have pictures on the website.
livefromtuscany likes this.

Last edited by Fc912; Sep 12, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:23 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Fc912
Concierge wasn’t helpful and sent us to Le Sirenuse for drinks and made no attempt at calling to help secure a table and said we should be able to get a table. Felt strange as we wanted to go at 6:30pm on Saturday but we stupidly trusted the concierge and of course wasted one hour and couldn’t get in.
Not to lessen your frustration, but if you are talking about Franco's bar they don't hold tables, even for Sirenuse guests. I've even waited for a table when with a member of the family that owns Sirenuse.
offerendum and BLV like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ABG
I've even waited for a table when with a member of the family that owns Sirenuse.
They do something wrong
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:56 am
BLV

I’ll pick ISP’s own terrace for drinks (or Bee Chic) over Franco’s any & every time. I’d say you didn’t miss out by not getting in, unless being cramped in with mostly American influencers/content creator types (and I cringe as I type that) previously having waited in line for an hour with them is your idea of great time in Positano 😬
ABG and livefromtuscany like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BLV
I’ll pick ISP’s own terrace for drinks (or Bee Chic) over Franco’s any & every time. I’d say you didn’t miss out by not getting in, unless being cramped in with mostly American influencers/content creator types (and I cringe as I type that) previously having waited in line for an hour with them is your idea of great time in Positano 😬
100% agree with the above
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:34 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by offerendum
They do something wrong
hanging around with travel agents was probably his mistake
obscure2k, offerendum and Nizar like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BLV
Ha! I agree the ISP’s terrace is beautiful and we enjoyed drinks there the first night. We just wanted to check out Le Sirenuse (Aldo’s bar) so decided to go in town. Bad call
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:01 am

Here are my opinions on Tiberio Palace and Monastero Santa Rosa. I’ll save ISP for the next post…

Tiberio Palace - we booked a studio terrace room and received a room on the second floor right above the pool area directly across from the elevators. The sea view was good and the terrace large and well furnished, although the view towards the left was obstructed by a wall. Rooms above the third floor should not have this issue. We enjoyed hanging out on the terrace and had breakfast there one morning. The room itself was a bit small and the shower was cramped. The tub was large but it didn’t feel clean to me for some reason - maybe because of the colour of the stone. We only had breakfast at the hotel and thought the quality was good and service prompt. Housekeeping was average and missed a few things here and there. The GM was present and visible, but we felt his interactions with us were forced and unnatural. He seemed to actively avoid guests and did not come over to say goodbye at departure even though he was right by the front desk. The Rooms Division Manager (Marco I think) was much warmer and natural. The rest of the team was ok - they all did their jobs but that was it. The location of the hotel was central without being in the middle of everything. Room cost was pretty outrageous but I guess that’s Capri in the summer for you!

Monastero Santa Rosa - we booked 4 nights here and used the hotel as a base to explore Amalfi, Ravello, and beyond. We ended up staying in for two full days because the grounds were so beautiful and the pool was jaw dropping. We booked a deluxe room and expected the size to be an issue (~30sqm) but surprisingly weren’t too bothered by it. The room was comfortable and had reasonably updated technology. The bathroom was large and we loved taking baths while enjoying the stunning view of Amalfi. Being a small hotel (20 rooms), it felt intimate and the staff started remembering our preferences after the second day. F&B was good with casual dishes outperforming the more adventurous / gastronomic selections. The chef is a fun guy and we enjoyed our chats throughout the stay. We also received thoughtful turndown gifts every evening. We had two spa treatments and enjoyed both and loved the outdoor treatment garden. The wet area of the spa was also impressive for a hotel of this size. The location could be an issue if you want to go out all the time but the hotel was pretty good about offering shuttles and arranging pick ups. If we go back in the future we will just stay on property and enjoy the views / pool.
SanDiego1K, FlyerEC and Misshoneyb like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Belmond Caruso for sure. I'm going back to revisit some of the suites will post feedback here
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:20 pm

I’m providing my opinion on ISP below.

Warning - long post but I want to be as thorough as possible.

A bit of background on how we booked - we purchased one of the €5,000 vouchers the hotel was selling in Spring 2020 as a part of a coordinated campaign between four Amalfi area hotels for an Italian lab supporting COVID vaccine research. The voucher comes with two nights at ISP, full board, and a dinner at Don Alfonso (amazing - highly recommended). We reached out to ISP in March this year and confirmed a Signature Room through the FOM Lorenzo. The reservation was re-confirmed in August before our trip as I asked for some transportation and other reservations to be made.

We were really excited to stay at this hotel given all the great reviews here and the beautiful pictures. Upon arrival, we were checked in and shown to Room #63. As discussed above, the room is located right next to the pool and has beautiful sea view and partial Positano view and sits above the bar terrace. The room was immaculate and had a great sense of place with beautiful tiles. We did notice it being somewhat smaller than expected (signature rooms that we booked are advertised to be at least 70 sqm) but we were happy with the room so did not question anything at the time. Our friend was with us and she was assigned Room #55, a Prestige room right off the elevator that goes down to the lobby below the parking lot. Beautiful panoramic views from the terrace but the room seemed a little oddly shaped.

We spent our time mostly at the beach club and enjoyed the experience. The service was prompt and friendly, and the staff would come adjust the umbrellas proactively when they notice anyone looking for shade or sun. Food at Carlino and Zass were both good and we enjoyed the lively atmosphere at Zass especially because Monastero Santa Rosa was very quiet. Drinks on the bar terrace was beautiful and cocktails were good. We did find the service overall to be regimented and stiff - our friend tried to order room service one night at 8pm and had a significant amount of push back on the items available and received subpar quality food until the GM and restaurant manager got involved.

The issue came on the last evening when we were looking online for rates / availabilities for next summer. I discovered that room #63 was advertised as a Premier Room on the website and not the Signature that we were booked and confirmed in. Thinking this may be a careless mistake, we went to the front desk and spoke to the FOM. He told us our voucher was only good for €5,000 of value and the Premier Room we’re in is the best they can provide, and suggested that we’re getting a “good deal” because our stay was also full board. None of this was in the T&C. To be honest, even if that was the case I think the appropriate solution should be telling us in advance that they made a mistake confirming us in the Signature Room and ask whether we would like to pay the rate difference to stay in a Signature, instead of switching our reservation without notice especially because we confirmed a few times. We had a lengthy discussion with the FOM and he was defensive until we showed him the multiple confirmations he himself sent us, which finally persuaded him to admit his mistake and offer an apology. Nonetheless, he was arguing until the end and kept insisting that we “got a good deal.” He would not commit to proposing a solution even though I gave him time and told him he could follow up after we leave and maybe discuss the issue with the GM. It has been a couple of days and I’ve yet to hear anything from him, not even a follow up email confirming the discussion we had. This has left a very bad taste in our mouths and essentially erased the generally good time we had on site.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:52 pm
BLV

I also purchased that voucher. Mine said “room with a sea view” 😬

Considering that 63 goes for €2200/night in high season it’s a GREAT deal, any way you slice it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.