Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:33 pm
BLV

Just to be clear, Sorrento isn't on Amalfi Coast, despite not being far from it, and is a very different destination, as it's essentially a city, unlike the little villages on the Amalfi Coast.

Basing in Ravello while having only 4 nights on AC would qualify as "going wrong" for me. You're wasting time going up & down and while May isn't nowhere near the craziness of traffic during Jul-Sep, you're still stuck with having to deal with at least 15 minutes each way on little narrow roads that are congested. Also, anything more than one night, two tops, in Ravello is too much. The village, while stunning, is tiiiiiiny and you'll be able to explore it in 2 hours. If this is your first time on AC and you want to explore some of it and have only 4 days to do so you have to plan a bit more carefully.

I just saw that you mentioned Sep/Oct. Both of these months are still pretty busy, with September obviously being more so. If you want to avoid crowds, late April/early May or November would be my choice.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We were on the coast late October , 2 rather blazing hot days - driving , or rather chauffeured , from Naples
Stay at ISP , we only lunched there . Only ones having a meal !
Cool enough with gorgeous views .

Pop by Excelsior Vittoria .
We were advised by The Daddy ; stroll right in & take the elevator / down to the terrace .
Amazing angles for photography / views .

Spectacular coastline , with quite a few heart stopping moments

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BLV
Just to be clear, Sorrento isn't on Amalfi Coast, despite not being far from it, and is a very different destination, as it's essentially a city, unlike the little villages on the Amalfi Coast.

Basing in Ravello while having only 4 nights on AC would qualify as "going wrong" for me. You're wasting time going up & down and while May isn't nowhere near the craziness of traffic during Jul-Sep, you're still stuck with having to deal with at least 15 minutes each way on little narrow roads that are congested. Also, anything more than one night, two tops, in Ravello is too much. The village, while stunning, is tiiiiiiny and you'll be able to explore it in 2 hours. If this is your first time on AC and you want to explore some of it and have only 4 days to do so you have to plan a bit more carefully.

I just saw that you mentioned Sep/Oct. Both of these months are still pretty busy, with September obviously being more so. If you want to avoid crowds, late April/early May or November would be my choice.
Agree with all of this, though it does depend on what type of experience one is desiring. We bunked in a wonderful hotel in Sorrento, and yet spent maybe 10 minutes in Sorrento proper. We wanted a half day in Pompeii, a full day on a boat in the water, and half days in Positano and Capri. Sorrento was the perfect location for us, even if not technically part of the Amalfi Coast. It is much easier (in my mind) to access Positano and Capri from Sorrento than Ravello.

With Ravello, agree it's not an exploring town. You can't spend hours walking the streets like a Positano, and Amalfi proper is probably more interesting. But there's a certain romance to the place, there are wonderful restaurants, and many people are happy spending their evenings there.

You know far better than I about this destination, so I cede to your recommendaitons. We did 3 and 5 in Sorrento and Ravello and felt we had the best combination of sightseeing, shopping, relaxation, and dining...with a little bit of emphasis on the relaxation. To us, if you go to Ravello it's really to slow down a bit. Those "on the go" might find it a bit of a hassle or out of the way. That said....there is NO better vista in the world IMO.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:28 pm

My wife and I just returned from Ravello where we stayed at both Palazzo Avino and Hotel Caruso. Both were fabulous. PA is smaller and for our experience more cozy and personal. HC perhaps a bit grander and included is a wonderful complimentary coastal boat ride and swim from the boat anchored off Positano. You would not regret either property. Views from both are spectacular. We hired car to get back and forth from Naples and I was very pleased not to be behind wheel driving the narrow roads but one could drive virtually to front door of these hotels and hand keys to doorman. Virtually no cars in Ravello affords easy walking along the storefronts and cafes of the cobblestone streets. My wife says this her new favorite location and planning our return.
Nizar, bhrubin, BESVISOR and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by arkyrab
My wife and I just returned from Ravello where we stayed at both Palazzo Avino and Hotel Caruso. Both were fabulous. PA is smaller and for our experience more cozy and personal. HC perhaps a bit grander and included is a wonderful complimentary coastal boat ride and swim from the boat anchored off Positano. You would not regret either property. Views from both are spectacular. We hired car to get back and forth from Naples and I was very pleased not to be behind wheel driving the narrow roads but one could drive virtually to front door of these hotels and hand keys to doorman. Virtually no cars in Ravello affords easy walking along the storefronts and cafes of the cobblestone streets. My wife says this her new favorite location and planning our return.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

How many nights did you spend in each hotel ?
Ravello not a large town is it ? 2-3 nights there in either of these hotels would probably be enough ?

I am planning a trip to the Amalfi coast just wondering how long to dedicate each to Ravello and Positano.

Any suggestions/recommendations for other towns in the vicinity ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:44 am

We were 2 nights in Hotel Caruso and one night in Palazzo Avino. I initially booked the 2 nights at HC but later decided to add a third Ravello night and chose PA mostly due to less expensive night. We loved PA. The two hotels are literally right next to each other and one minute walk from one to the other. We enjoyed the beauty and relaxation of Ravello but three nights may be enough unless you stay there as a base to explore the region on day trips.
We did not stay in Positano but the posts in this thread show wonderful hotels and views as well.

Last edited by arkyrab; Aug 26, 2018 at 5:50 am Reason: Wished to add information.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:20 am
BLV

Originally Posted by Nizar
How many nights did you spend in each hotel ?
Ravello not a large town is it ? 2-3 nights there in either of these hotels would probably be enough ?

I am planning a trip to the Amalfi coast just wondering how long to dedicate each to Ravello and Positano.

Any suggestions/recommendations for other towns in the vicinity ?
I just spent 3 nights in Palazzo Avino before moving down to Positano. You have to decide if sea access is important to you. If it is, PA’s beach club is, while staff is lovely and the view is gorgeous, is a PITA. If you’re lucky, you’ll spend 15 minutes in a van to/from beach. In high season, now, expect it to be 25-30 minutes. Also, since the beach club is small, you’ve got to reserve a time slot. Van leaves every hour starting 9:30 and up to 2:30 or 3:30 as it closes at 4:30. Food at the beach club is the worst we’ve had on the coast.

If none of the above matters and/or you’re going in off season or moving onto a property with proper sea access (like I did), then 3 nights is an absolute max you should do in Ravello. I’d even say 2 nights is more than enough.

Palazzo Avino itself is gorgeous and I’ve got zero complaints with rooms/service.

Suggestions on other villages in the area will depend on how much time you’ve dedicated to this part of Italy.

Last edited by BLV; Aug 27, 2018 at 2:34 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Slightly OT, but what is the weather like in the area in mid-to-late May? Is it guaranteed to be sunny and warm enough to lay out, or is it mixed with chances of rain and daytime highs below 22-23? Said another way, if I want to go somewhere warm and sunny in the second half of May, am I a better off going to Amalfi or Santorini?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:54 am
BLV

I stayed in Positano end of this May. It was cooler than right now (although this has been the weirdest August I’ve experienced here in the past 12 years. Rain, storms. This second I’m on the beach and the red flag is out for second day in a row, though still hot & sunny. I don’t ever recall missing a sea day at the same time in previous years) but still beach weather. Water was cooler and once diving in it’d take a few seconds to get used to it after which it was enjoyable. Usually end of May beaching is in full swing but do keep in mind unpredictability of weather. It can be rainy & stormy one minute and completely calm & dry the next.

Update: case in point. Shortly after I finished writing this, the sea has began calming down.

Last edited by BLV; Aug 27, 2018 at 3:01 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I visited Amalfi in late May and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Having said that, I like temperatures of around 25 degrees and if, like my husband you like 40 degrees, you may find it too cold. It was a little cloudy one day but we didn't experience any rain.

I've also been to Santorini in early June and I loved the weather at that time too.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:54 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by BLV
I stayed in Positano end of this May. It was cooler than right now (although this has been the weirdest August I’ve experienced here in the past 12 years. Rain, storms. This second I’m on the beach and the red flag is out for second day in a row, though still hot & sunny. I don’t ever recall missing a sea day at the same time in previous years) but still beach weather. Water was cooler and once diving in it’d take a few seconds to get used to it after which it was enjoyable. Usually end of May beaching is in full swing but do keep in mind unpredictability of weather. It can be rainy & stormy one minute and completely calm & dry the next.

Update: case in point. Shortly after I finished writing this, the sea has began calming down.
Were you in Positano on 20th Aug when that epic hail storm rolled through and caused the stormwater drain running to the sea to overflow? I was certainly not swimming in the sea in Positano after seeing what was being flushed out into it...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:00 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Looking to next summer, where would people recommend on Capri for a 7 night stay (very early July)? I looked at Capri Palace but talked myself out of staying in Anacapri for 7 nights. A friend is swearing by Tiberio.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:16 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Looking to next summer, where would people recommend on Capri for a 7 night stay (very early July)? I looked at Capri Palace but talked myself out of staying in Anacapri for 7 nights. A friend is swearing by Tiberio.
Bit different, but JK Capri? Combine with JK Roma.

Or Caesar Augustus.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:59 am
BLV

Were you in Positano on 20th Aug when that epic hail storm rolled through and caused the stormwater drain running to the sea to overflow? I was certainly not swimming in the sea in Positano after seeing what was being flushed out into it...
Yes. Luckily made it just in time back from Cetara via boat back to Il San Pietro. It was the most dramatically beautiful lighting of the entire stay:

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:23 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Don't..... It is too long of a stay.
JK and Punta tragara come to mind but the suggestion of Tiberio palace is excellent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.