Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 10:38 am

Thanks SD1K - I've never been to that part of Italy despite my relative proximity - time to rectify that I think. And thanks Pausanias - I didn't know about that programme - time to catch up on BBC iPlayer.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Last night on The Trip, Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan stayed at Villa Cimbrone in Ravello which looked absolutely stunning. Brydon had the Greta Garbo suite.
I have been recommending this property often. It has among the most beautiful hotel garden ever and a spectacular view especially from the terrace at the far end of the garden. Less so from the hotel itself.

But...you need to climb a looooong walk to get to the hotel; a nice one for sure, but long. And that is each time you desire to walk down to the village and up to the hotel. Not a joke if you are not in the mood for a walk.
The property is so stunning that they have in the season events (mainly wedding) going on all the time. This might bore someone.
During the day gardens are open for visitor (last time I was there five euro per person) so you might expect strangers going over the gardens constantly.

That said, it is a spectacular property.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:51 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I wanted to give some small impressions of the three hotels where we stayed. We were well pleased with each, and each was completely different than the other two. All 3 were Virtuoso properties. Breakfast and free internet are both benefits of a Virtuoso booking. However, each of these three include breakfast and internet for any booking. Virtuoso bookings are entitled to upgrades depending on availability. Because of the May 1 holiday, both Monastero Santa Rosa and Il San Pietro de Positano were solidly booked. We stayed at Palazzo Avino prior to May 1. We were given a very nice upgrade. For each hotel, I had carefully studied the room categories and made the decision to book the level where I would be happy to stay without an upgrade. In Gallivanters Guide, room 201, a junior suite, was recommended. Thus, I booked a junior suite and had the agent request room 201. This request was noted by the hotel a week in advance of my stay. I was surprised to learn on arrival that the room was in fact 2 categories above what I had booked. It was already occupied by someone else, so in the end it didn't matter, but I remain perplexed. We were proactively upgraded to a superior junior suite from a junior suite. However, hotel management then upgraded us further to their Suite Orizonte. Although called a suite, it was an extremely large room. It had a dining table and sitting area. It was a corner room, and I valued the 4 windows. Most balconies at the hotel are juliets, but we had a balcony big enough for a tiny cafe table with 2 chairs. This upgrade was extremely kind and very generous on the hotel's part.

Other Virtuoso benefits:
Palazzo Avino - 80 euro spa credit. We each had a half hour back massage for 45 euros, so got great value from this.
Monastero Santa Rosa - we were to get a 3 course meal, either lunch or dinner. When we arrived, we were told that this was the 2013 Virtuoso benefit. In 2014, they are giving a 75 euro food/beverage credit. I had thought the 3 course meal was an extraordinary benefit and it had been part of our decision making. I pushed back on the issue. In the end, we were given a 100 euro credit to use as we liked on the menu.
Il San Pietro de Positino - we were given a voucher for 1 hour free of a 4 hour private tour. We did not use this benefit.

I get pleasure out of small gifts from hotels. We received gifts from two of the three.
Palazzo Avino - ceramic bright blue donkey, of the area
Monastero Santa Rosa - box of locally made macaroni

Palazzo Avino, Ravello
From the time we arrived to the time we left, service was impeccable, understated, non obtrusive. You feel as though you are staying in a very comfortable home, not too fussy, clean lines, but elegant. You walk in to the front desk/concierge area, then down a few steps to an area that stretches the length of the hotel which is the bar/lounge area. There are intimate seating areas the length of this where you can sit and enjoy the sea view. There is a small indoor dining area for lunch, but you can have it anywhere you like. The weather cleared enough that one day we had it on their terrace at the edge of the hill overlooking the water. Another day, we ate inside in a comfy seating area while enjoying great views. Breakfast is served inside or out on the lower level. This area is shared by the gastronomic restaurant, Rossellinis, where we ate one night. It was excellent. There are 32 rooms and 11 suites. There are several terraces below the dining area for the swimming pool and varied seating areas. I had thought that the town was some distance from the water, and I would feel removed from it. That wasn't the case at all.

I liked the location of this hotel within the town the best of the three. It was an easy walk down a sloping path with broad steps to the town center. There are shops, cafes, and restaurants. There are classical music concerts most nights of the spring/summer.

Monastero Santa Rosa, Amalfi
This hotel opened in 2012. I saw articles in all the travel magazines almost immediately, and was intrigued. The owner saw a ruined monastery when boating along the coast. She bought it and spent 12 years making it into a luxury hotel. There are only 20 rooms. We were told that they are all the same size, the size of a nun's cell. Thus, I booked an entry room here. The restoration has kept a feel of the monastery yet has a very fresh and cool look to it. The rooms are indeed small, and we spent no time in ours other than sleeping. The grounds are what are absolutely extraordinary here. There are several narrow terraces that drop down to the infinity level swimming pool at the lowest one. Each terrace is immaculately landscaped with fragrant plants. There are a couple areas for sitting at each level. There is a bocce court at the top level. There is an open air workout room on the level below. We appreciated the free parking and the van service anywhere in Amalfi.

Il San Pietro de Positano, Positano
We had not realized we would only see the chapel on approaching the hotel and overshot it. Fortunately, we quickly realized our error and returned. Our car and bags were quickly whisked away. We were directed down a well landscaped stairway to the lobby, roughly 3 flights of steps. We could begin to see down to the coast, as well as the tennis court at the ground level and the terraces of gardens up the hill. The hotel grows all of its own produce.

This property has 60 rooms. I booked a "junior special room with terrace and sea view". blv had been endlessly patient with me last summer as I was planning this trip. She shared with me pictures of the room she liked as well as giving me its number and that for another room she likes. I had specifically inquired about those rooms via the hotel's US representative. I heard from him a couple times about the renovation work being done at the hotel during the winter and some room number changes that resulted. There was never closure on this. I was given a room completely different than those we had discussed, but none the less lovely. We had room 49 which we thought was a terrific location. Because the hotel is built into the hill, there are only elevators to the four floors above the lobby level. The four floors below have no elevator access. Some of these rooms are great favorites of returning guests because they have the most immediate views of the water. Our room was one level above the dining room. It looked out over a rose garden and had complete privacy with no one able to walk in front of it. Our wall was all glass, as was the bathroom wall. We had a comfortable terrace with two loungers as well as a table and two chairs. It was nice to be able to sit inside and still see the view when the weather was indifferent to poor.

We were very surprised to find that the elevator for our floor actually went all the way up to the parking lot. The bank of rooms in this section of the hotel would be ideal for anyone who has difficulty with stairs. The website gives no sense of what you get for each level of room or how each room within a level is completely different from any other. The website is completely changed from last year, but I still find it incomplete at providing desirable information. I can only suggest calling the hotel directly to understand the rooms better. The hotel has guests who return year after year and have their favorite rooms. I would certainly be happy with the one we had on another visit, though am confident there are many rooms that would satisfy.

I was fascinated by the elevator that was bored in the rock to take folks from the ground level down to the water level. It takes 45 seconds. On the ground level is a small private beach, a larger area with loungers, and a seaside restaurant, Carlino. Weather was poor when we ate, so we were forced inside. Food was excellent. Their gastronomic restaurant was at the lobby level of the hotel, used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They request that men wear slacks and long sleeved shirts. Probably 75% of the men were wearing jackets. The lobby lounge is very large, as is the outside terrace. Thus, there is not the same sense of intimacy as at the Palazzo Avino.

We appreciated the van service to Positano. There is no place to park. In Positano, you are dropped at the head of a narrow road that goes down to the harbor. It is quite a hike down to where the ferries leave for various destinations.

Here is an article about the hotel with some good pictures.

We have been to Capri before, thus did not include it on this trip.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Wonderful, informative report. What a marvelous holiday.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:44 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Il San Pietro de Positano, Positano
We had not realized we would only see the chapel on approaching the hotel and overshot it. Fortunately, we quickly realized our error and returned. Our car and bags were quickly whisked away. We were directed down a well landscaped stairway to the lobby, roughly 3 flights of steps. We could begin to see down to the coast, as well as the tennis court at the ground level and the terraces of gardens up the hill. The hotel grows all of its own produce.

This property has 60 rooms. I booked a "junior special room with terrace and sea view". blv had been endlessly patient with me last summer as I was planning this trip. She shared with me pictures of the room she liked as well as giving me its number and that for another room she likes. I had specifically inquired about those rooms via the hotel's US representative. I heard from him a couple times about the renovation work being done at the hotel during the winter and some room number changes that resulted. There was never closure on this. I was given a room completely different than those we had discussed, but none the less lovely. We had room 49 which we thought was a terrific location. Because the hotel is built into the hill, there are only elevators to the four floors above the lobby level. The four floors below have no elevator access. Some of these rooms are great favorites of returning guests because they have the most immediate views of the water. Our room was one level above the dining room. It looked out over a rose garden and had complete privacy with no one able to walk in front of it. Our wall was all glass, as was the bathroom wall. We had a comfortable terrace with two loungers as well as a table and two chairs. It was nice to be able to sit inside and still see the view when the weather was indifferent to poor.

We were very surprised to find that the elevator for our floor actually went all the way up to the parking lot. The bank of rooms in this section of the hotel would be ideal for anyone who has difficulty with stairs. The website gives no sense of what you get for each level of room or how each room within a level is completely different from any other. The website is completely changed from last year, but I still find it incomplete at providing desirable information. I can only suggest calling the hotel directly to understand the rooms better. The hotel has guests who return year after year and have their favorite rooms. I would certainly be happy with the one we had on another visit, though am confident there are many rooms that would satisfy.

I was fascinated by the elevator that was bored in the rock to take folks from the ground level down to the water level. It takes 45 seconds. On the ground level is a small private beach, a larger area with loungers, and a seaside restaurant, Carlino. Weather was poor when we ate, so we were forced inside. Food was excellent. Their gastronomic restaurant was at the lobby level of the hotel, used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They request that men wear slacks and long sleeved shirts. Probably 75% of the men were wearing jackets. The lobby lounge is very large, as is the outside terrace. Thus, there is not the same sense of intimacy as at the Palazzo Avino.

We appreciated the van service to Positano. There is no place to park. In Positano, you are dropped at the head of a narrow road that goes down to the harbor. It is quite a hike down to where the ferries leave for various destinations.
Were you on the same floor as the pool, by any chance, and if so, was your room immediately to the right?
Old May 7, 2014, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLV
Were you on the same floor as the pool, by any chance, and if so, was your room immediately to the right?
No, we were one floor up from the restaurant. I think we were two floors below the pool, but am not sure.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Wonderful trip report about the hotels! I really want to try out the Monastero Santa Rosa one day.

I just thought I may complement your post with some more details about my recent stay at hotel Casa Angelina in Praiano, since I found it excellent (and way beyond my expectations).

I posted a lot of photos here: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...i-coast-italy/
I made a youtube clip as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3RdqTh5xWo

What I really liked about the hotel:
- It’s hard to imagine a more majestic location than the one of Casa Angelina in the small village of Praiano. From almost every corner of the hotel, the ocean view spreads out before you like an azure blanket, disturbed only by the island bumps of Capri and Li Galli into the horizon. This has to be one of the best views on the Amalfi coast because Praiano is located on a rocky outcrop allowing glorious views on the coastline itself towards the romantic village of Positano.
- Casa Angelina is oriented toward the west, meaning that you will enjoy the evening sun until it disappears behind the mountains about 20 minutes before sunset (something that is not the case with most hotels at Ravello or Positano that are in the shade starting late afternoon).
- Service is simply phenomenal! The staff and management are highly skilled and offer the best service you could wish for (on pair with the service you would expect at, let's say, an Aman resort). Whether it is near the pool, at the restaurant or in the bar, you will be served with a smile and discrete professionalism.
- After a (half) day of sightseeing, you can dip your toes into the Mediterranean Sea in the private, tranquil and picturesque cove of La Gavitella (with a small beach and rocky terrace), which is accessed by a private glass elevator and 200 steps. This is a huge advantage over many other grand hotels of the Amalfi coast, which mostly don't have immediate access to the Mediterranean Sea.
- The food is one of thé highlights at Casa Angelina (simply the best hotel food that I ever had). The signature restaurant, Un Piano nel Cielo (‘a floor in the sky’) has a top-floor terrace with yet more amazing views of the Amalfi coast. The food, as well as its presentation, is simply fabulous and the service incredible. Breakfast buffet is also displayed in Un Piano nel Cielo and is another highlight with a very diverse breakfast spread (on pair and even out-classing buffet breakfasts served at the most luxurious hotels in the world).
- Children under 12 years of age are not allowed, so tranquility is guaranteed.
- During the morning and evening hours, the hotel offers frequent shuttle service to Positano (6 km away), which needs to be booked in advance. This is a huge advantage given the shortage of parking space at Positano.

Things to know (“cons”):
- The hotel is not well-marked along the road in Praiano (when you come from Positano, the turnoff is just before the tunnel to the right). Some extra signs along the main road would be helpful.
- The white, minimalistic design may not fit everybody's taste, but this should be a non-issue because of the spectacular surroundings.
- Beds are comfortable but a little on the hard side. They could use a mattress topper.
- Rooms are on the small side, some would use the world "tiny" to describe them. But in the end, that will not matter as you will be overwhelmed by the phenomenal views that embrace you from morning till sunset.
- There is only a limited number of sunloungers near the pool (22 in total), which may be a problem when the hotel is fully occupied. In addition, the sun loungers would be more comfortable with cushions.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:11 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
- It’s hard to imagine a more majestic location than the one of Casa Angelina in the small village of Praiano. From almost every corner of the hotel, the ocean view spreads out before you like an azure blanket, disturbed only by the island bumps of Capri and Li Galli into the horizon. This has to be one of the best views on the Amalfi coast because Praiano is located on a rocky outcrop allowing glorious views on the coastline itself towards the romantic village of Positano.
A more majestic location = Il San Pietro. You could say it's the same views, except better (closer views of Positano, Li Galli, Faraglioni)

Now, if you were referring to Praiano only, then I agree.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Has anyone stay at Villa Tre Ville in Positano? It seems to be lesser known, but gets great reviews. How does it compare to some of the usual suspects in the area? http://www.villatreville.com
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:17 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ray1022
Has anyone stay at Villa Tre Ville in Positano? It seems to be lesser known, but gets great reviews. How does it compare to some of the usual suspects in the area? http://www.villatreville.com
I mentioned Tre Ville earlier in this thread. It's much smaller and a lot more intimate than the other high-end places. All staff members know your name and your preferences, no need for a menu as you can discuss your dinner preferences directly with the chef - I loved it and can't wait to go back.

Originally Posted by vienna-resident
It's not on the OP's shortlist, but I really enjoyed Hotel Villa Tre Ville in Positano. Service was excellent, great food, beautiful views, the rooms quite big with great bathrooms, and the ambiance of the whole place felt like being back in the Golden Era. The estate belonged to an Italian composer, but was just recently completely refurbished.

The have a complimentary house shuttle boat to transport guests between the Positano marina and the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:22 am

Thanks, found this really ueseful

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
Wonderful trip report about the hotels! I really want to try out the Monastero Santa Rosa one day.

I just thought I may complement your post with some more details about my recent stay at hotel Casa Angelina in Praiano, since I found it excellent (and way beyond my expectations).

I posted a lot of photos here: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...i-coast-italy/
I made a youtube clip as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3RdqTh5xWo

- Casa Angelina is oriented toward the west, meaning that you will enjoy the evening sun until it disappears behind the mountains about 20 minutes before sunset (something that is not the case with most hotels at Ravello or Positano that are in the shade starting late afternoon).
- Service is simply phenomenal! The staff and management are highly skilled and offer the best service you could wish for (on pair with the service you would expect at, let's say, an Aman resort). Whether it is near the pool, at the restaurant or in the bar, you will be served with a smile and discrete professionalism.
- After a (half) day of sightseeing, you can dip your toes into the Mediterranean Sea in the private, tranquil and picturesque cove of La Gavitella (with a small beach and rocky terrace), which is accessed by a private glass elevator and 200 steps. This is a huge advantage over many other grand hotels of the Amalfi coast, which mostly don't have immediate access to the Mediterranean Sea.
- The food is one of thé highlights at Casa Angelina (simply the best hotel food that I ever had). The signature restaurant, Un Piano nel Cielo (‘a floor in the sky’) has a top-floor terrace with yet more amazing views of the Amalfi coast. The food, as well as its presentation, is simply fabulous and the service incredible. Breakfast buffet is also displayed in Un Piano nel Cielo and is another highlight with a very diverse breakfast spread (on pair and even out-classing buffet breakfasts served at the most luxurious hotels in the world).
- Children under 12 years of age are not allowed, so tranquility is guaranteed.
- During the morning and evening hours, the hotel offers frequent shuttle service to Positano (6 km away), which needs to be booked in advance. This is a huge advantage given the shortage of parking space at Positano.

Things to know (“cons”):
- The hotel is not well-marked along the road in Praiano (when you come from Positano, the turnoff is just before the tunnel to the right). Some extra signs along the main road would be helpful.
- The white, minimalistic design may not fit everybody's taste, but this should be a non-issue because of the spectacular surroundings.
- Beds are comfortable but a little on the hard side. They could use a mattress topper.
- Rooms are on the small side, some would use the world "tiny" to describe them. But in the end, that will not matter as you will be overwhelmed by the phenomenal views that embrace you from morning till sunset.
- There is only a limited number of sunloungers near the pool (22 in total), which may be a problem when the hotel is fully occupied. In addition, the sun loungers would be more comfortable with cushions.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
too melancholy?

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Last night on The Trip, Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan stayed at Villa Cimbrone in Ravello which looked absolutely stunning. Brydon had the Greta Garbo suite.
I love Rob Brydon, love Steve Coogan (alan Partridge is brillaince!) and love amalfi BUT i found this series too melancholy. Perhaps it was the autumn on amalfi which can be alittle grey, but i think there was a genuine sadness which although very heartfelt, depressed me. Most of us have these thoughts and feelings, but for me this series was just too morose. For me amalfi is about celebrating life.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:34 pm
BLV

Last night at ISP, here are some shots from past 9 days:

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Glorious pictures. It brings back wonderful memories of our spring visit.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Beautiful pictures, you have an eye for photography! thankyou for sharing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.