Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
Tiberio Palace has had a lot of great feedback this summer.
Been there twice this summer.

The Capri Palace and Caesear Augustus are also very nice.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:01 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by saint
This is a GREAT thread. I'm doing my research for my first trip to the Amalfi Coast. I booked 2 nights at the Palazzo Avino in Ravello. 3 nights at the Il San Pietro di Positano and 2 nights at the Hotel Excelsior Parco on Capri.

Would any of you recommend staying in another hotel on Capri vs. the Hotel Excelsior Parco? If so, would appreciate hearing some recommendations for hotels on Capri.
Scalinatella would be my pick but it is hard to reserve. Even a year in a advance.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ABG
JK Capri would be a first pick (but frequently unavailable for non-repeat guests)
is that only option for 'privacy' where pool does not have public restaurant?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 23, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:44 am
BLV

Nothing new this year at Il San Pietro (except the price increase for next year for the remaining rooms that will undergo renovation and will end up moving up a category):

SanDiego1K and offerendum like this.

Last edited by BLV; Apr 10, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:49 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Glorious pictures of your happy place, BLV. Is the second picture the door from your room or another location in the hotel?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:59 am
BLV

Thanks, Carol. That's the hotel's main entrance leading to the elevator.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:45 am

Amalfi in April

Two slightly older people in Italy for one month. We will be in Rome in April for 6 nights then planning to visit friend in Toscana later. Friend suggested we go to South to Amalfi coast and then travel back up to Florence' Venice then visit (hopefully). Looking for hotel suggestions in amalfi coast first. Not looking to break the bank as we have whole ,onth of planning. But do want excellent hotel. Looked at Belmond Caruso. Looks fabulous. We know steps are everywhere but will try to minimize some f the hiking. One of us mentioned Naples first? Any suggestions to that? An excellent place to stay there?Elena Ferrante tour?
But really looking forward to hotel recommendations somewhere on Amalfi. Ravello sounds perfect.
Then I know I will be asking for suggestions Venice and Florence.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:01 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Jeb321
Ravello sounds perfect.
The other choice in Ravello is Palazzo Avino. Family run and usually a little less costly than Caruso
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:36 am

Ray and ABG. Thank you for suggestions. I am looking into everything. Ray your photos are awesome. I know people who have stayed at Le Sireneuse and always rave about the experience.
Perche I also hope you can weigh in re the stay (?) which my friend wants, then Ravello or Priano(sp?) etc on the coast then back to venice and Florence. As mentioned we are in IT till 6 May from 11 April. Your suggestions in Rome I followed.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:23 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by Jeb321
Ray and ABG. Thank you for suggestions. I am looking into everything. Ray your photos are awesome. I know people who have stayed at Le Sireneuse and always rave about the experience.
Perche I also hope you can weigh in re the stay (?) which my friend wants, then Ravello or Priano(sp?) etc on the coast then back to venice and Florence. As mentioned we are in IT till 6 May from 11 April. Your suggestions in Rome I followed. The stay friend wants is 1 or 2 days Naples.
Sure - happy to help. For those on the forum, I sent @Jeb321 my trip report via PM so he can see some pics and detail from our stay in the region. Le Sirenuse, Santa Caterina, J.K. Place Roma, Italy (Trip Report with Photos/Video)

Last edited by ray1022; Jan 7, 2018 at 11:23 am Reason: Fix link
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I would love a comparison/contrast of the following properties for those who have been to (visited, if not having stayed at) any of all of these pairs:

POSITANO: La Sirenuse vs Il San Pietro?

RAVELLO: Belmond Caruso vs Palazzo Avino?

IN BETWEEN: Monastero Santa Rosa vs Santa Catarina?

I would love to get a sense of the pros and cons for each property, the highlight(s) of each property versus the rest, the highlight of each location versus the rest, and what single property or combination of 2 properties most would recommend. Thanks for whatever details you can share!

I especially am interested in:

(1) which have excellent air conditioning in rooms/suites in case it's very warm?
(2) which have the best restaurant on premises?
(3) which have the best restaurants nearby?
(4) which have the best views?
(5) which have the best suites?
(6) which have the best sights to visit nearby, if any?

Finally, for how nights overall do you recommend staying on the Amalfi coast?

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:48 pm
BLV

@bhrubin, you have to start from the beginning of the thread, which is essentially dedicated to all of the properties you are interested in.

As far as how many nights. Who knows? When are you going? I've been going every August and try to do at least two weeks. Many people I've been seeing there for the past 11 years stay for longer, some stay the whole month (that would be ideal for me). That area is all about enjoying the sea, taking a boat and exploring the coast & Capri and pretty much dolce far niente.

Only thing I can advise against is going there for a week and staying at more than one property. Amalfi Coast is small, villages are close, and packing & unpacking is not something that fits the area. Ravello, which is above the coast, is a 15 minute ride to/from the beach so keep that in mind.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BLV
@bhrubin, you have to start from the beginning of the thread, which is essentially dedicated to all of the properties you are interested in.

As far as how many nights. Who knows? When are you going? I've been going every August and try to do at least two weeks. Many people I've been seeing there for the past 11 years stay for longer, some stay the whole month (that would be ideal for me). That area is all about enjoying the sea, taking a boat and exploring the coast & Capri and pretty much dolce far niente.

Only thing I can advise against is going there for a week and staying at more than one property. Amalfi Coast is small, villages are close, and packing & unpacking is not something that fits the area. Ravello, which is above the coast, is a 15 minute ride to/from the beach so keep that in mind.
Thanks, @BLV! I actually did review all the posts from the beginning; your posts often were the only ones offering a true comparison and contrast between the pairs I’ve mentioned.

I was hoping to get more perspectives...but yours certainly seem to hit the mark thus far. @SanDiego1K also shared concern about La Sirenuse feeling a bit dated...but that was back in 2014. So I didn’t know how fresh those earlier perspectives might be nowadays.

No one mentions air conditioning, sadly. Anyone? Please?

Few mention anything in particular as a highlight—you being a notable exception in mentioning sea access only being available at Il San Pietro.

I would avoid summer madness and heat at all costs, actually. We likely would try Amalfi in May or late Sept/early Oct in a future year. So swimming pools (unless heated) won’t be a big factor. Sea access could be important if we want to charter a boat to explore the coast.

Thanks for sharing your recommendation on not splitting time for up to a week. I doubt I could last longer than 3-4 nights before getting anxious, anyway!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 7, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:49 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Thanks, @BLV! I actually did review all the posts from the beginning; your posts often were the only ones offering a true comparison and contrast between the pairs I’ve mentioned.

I was hoping to get more perspectives...but yours certainly seem to hit the mark thus far. @SanDiego1K also shared concern about La Sirenuse feeling a bit dated...but that was back in 2014. So I didn’t know how fresh those earlier perspectives might be nowadays.

No one mentions air conditioning, sadly. Anyone? Please?

Few mention anything in particular as a highlight—you being a notable exception in mentioning sea access only being available at Il San Pietro.

I would avoid summer madness and heat at all costs, actually. We likely would try Amalfi in May or late Sept/early Oct in a future year. So swimming pools (unless heated) won’t be a big factor. Sea access could be important if we want to charter a boat to explore the coast.

Thanks for sharing your recommendation on not splitting time for up to a week. I doubt I could last longer than 3-4 nights before getting anxious, anyway!
Ah, so. If no more than 4 nights and beach time isn't important, then I'd base in Positano - either Il San Pietro or Le Sirenuse. If you want a good view Le Sirenuse will be much more expensive than ISP. Not every room at LS has sea view, unlike ISP, where every room has sea view and/or terrace/balcony. ISP is in the process of continuing a complete renovation of their rooms & suites, and since no two rooms are alike but you request a renovated one specifically and in the Jr. Suite and up category, I think you'll be satisfied.

If you are interested in checking out other properties, simply go there for lunch: Monastero, Avino, Caterina. Out of all of the hotels you've mentioned, Monastero has the worst location, unless you don't plan on leaving the property, which is stunning. It is a must for lunch along with Avino. Caterina could be skipped, imho.

Overall, I'd suggest giving it at least 5-6 nights. That way you can hop on over to various villages, cruise the coast, go to Capri and dedicate at least one night to dinner at Don Alfonso (which is about a 40 minute ride from Positano). I think that number of days lets you comfortably check everything out. Otherwise, 3-4 for Amalfi Coast and around is too rushed. Lunches are long & lazy and why would you want to hurry anywhere?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
We stayed at Palazzo Avino two summers ago and were thrilled with our decision. We had considered the Belmond, but for the two of us the Avino seemed like the better fit (and it was). We visited the Belmond, and I am certain we would have been happy there as well...

We loved the private "beach" of the Avino. Every morning we took an early 10 minute shuttle to their private oasis on the sea and spent a few hours sunbathing, swimming, kayaking, and eating the absolute best pizza we found on the coast. We then spent the afternoons and evenings either strolling through Ravello or Amalfi/Positano. The Belmond has a much better on-site pool (possibly the best in Italy), and their transport options to other towns is superior. But they didn't have the waterfront option for us like the Avino, so it didn't fit our desires quite as perfectly.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong.

Btw, on our way to Ravello we actually decided to spend 3 nights in Sorrento at the Excelsior Vittoria. We loved the hotel and spent each day differently. One day we toured Pompeii, the next we rented a private boat for the day and spent it touring the grottos and swimming in the sea, and the final day we water taxied over to Capri. Once we got to Ravello, we were in relax stage (we did spend an afternoon and evening in Amalfi and Positano from our Ravello base). I wouldn't reccomend Sorrento unless it was as an easy base to explore as we did. Access is much easier from Sorrento, as well as the ability to stay in luxury for much less than Positano.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.