Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:33 am

I would say that the best hotel in the vicinity of Victoria would be The Goring, especially after its recent refurb.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any recent experiences at the Taj Buckingham Gate. Looking at a one night stay near Victoria for the Gatwick Express....
This property can be good value, but typically you have to book a longer stay. The renovated suites are very nice, but the unrenovated suites are very, very grim. Service is fine, nothing to write home about.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:22 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a long, long time since I stayed at the Taj Buckingham Gate, but when I did, it wasn't even close to being a luxury hotel. And to say that someplace which is a 3 minute walk from the changing of the guard ceremony is not a touristy area is really pushing it too.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's been a long, long time since I stayed at the Taj Buckingham Gate, but when I did, it wasn't even close to being a luxury hotel. And to say that someplace which is a 3 minute walk from the changing of the guard ceremony is not a touristy area is really pushing it too.
Well i beg to differ, but then that is why our forum is so great.

We were there last March (yes, not the height of tourist season, but there during the St. Patrick festivities). first off, I don't know why you say it wasn't even close to luxury? I hope you are not talking about the Taj's other hotel right next to the Buckingham Gate (as the Buckingham Gate is hidden behind the gate off the street)?
Anyways, we were there in a Falconers' suite that was absolutely massive. there were only a few rooms per floor. The building, floors and room were impeccable in cleanliness. The service from the front desk, to the restaurant staff was as good as our experience in Paris at the FS George V (that we went to a week later), if not better. The reason for this was that our daughter, 9 yrs old, was truly treated like a princess (got gifts, mentioned once that she wanted a certain kind of waffle, the next day she was surprised with it). My daughter, went so far as to insist buying some chocolates as a gift to the Concierge when we left.
The touristy part is close (like a five + min walk). However, we never had that feeling of being surrounded by them at all as the hotel is on a narrow small stretch of street. Infact, in the evenings, it felt that there were more locals walking by as they went to local food/pub establishments. Even the Hotel's Mercedes airport service was very pleasant. Actually, one way was comped via a Virtuoso package (great as its almost a hour from Heathrow).

The food was great, especially there Indian restaurant Quilon. Also their 24 Karat high tea experience was a highlight of my wife.

As I said, we all may have different experiences, but ours was great. A true 5* when compared to many places we have stayed talked on this forum.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Any recent experiences at the Taj Buckingham Gate. Looking at a one night stay near Victoria for the Gatwick Express....

thanks
FDW
We stayed here with our kids in a two bedroom Falconers suite about a year ago and had a great experience as well. Only downside was the very small bathrooms in our suite. Otherwise, we had a flawless stay.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mumum17

We were there last March (yes, not the height of tourist season, but there during the St. Patrick festivities). first off, I don't know why you say it wasn't even close to luxury? I hope you are not talking about the Taj's other hotel right next to the Buckingham Gate (as the Buckingham Gate is hidden behind the gate off the street)?
Anyways, we were there in a Falconers' suite that was absolutely massive. there were only a few rooms per floor. The building, floors and room were impeccable in cleanliness. The service from the front desk, to the restaurant staff was as good as our experience in Paris at the FS George V (that we went to a week later), if not better. The reason for this was that our daughter, 9 yrs old, was truly treated like a princess (got gifts, mentioned once that she wanted a certain kind of waffle, the next day she was surprised with it). My daughter, went so far as to insist buying some chocolates as a gift to the Concierge when we left.
The touristy part is close (like a five + min walk). However, we never had that feeling of being surrounded by them at all as the hotel is on a narrow small stretch of street. Infact, in the evenings, it felt that there were more locals walking by as they went to local food/pub establishments. Even the Hotel's Mercedes airport service was very pleasant. Actually, one way was comped via a Virtuoso package (great as its almost a hour from Heathrow).

The food was great, especially there Indian restaurant Quilon. Also their 24 Karat high tea experience was a highlight of my wife.

As I said, we all may have different experiences, but ours was great. A true 5* when compared to many places we have stayed talked on this forum.

Interesting. Looking forward to further discussion as I have also booked a stay at the Taj 51.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were there last March (yes, not the height of tourist season, but there during the St. Patrick festivities). first off, I don't know why you say it wasn't even close to luxury? I hope you are not talking about the Taj's other hotel right next to the Buckingham Gate (as the Buckingham Gate is hidden behind the gate off the street)?...
Aha, that is probably it, the one I was talking about was a large hotel, this one must be a hotel-within-a-hotel (or adjacent). Thanks for the info, clearly in that case my experience wasn't relevant.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

Originally Posted by Valveking
We stayed here with our kids in a two bedroom Falconers suite about a year ago and had a great experience as well. Only downside was the very small bathrooms in our suite. Otherwise, we had a flawless stay.

Are we talking about this property? http://www.taj51buckinghamgate.co.uk/
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Aha, that is probably it, the one I was talking about was a large hotel, this one must be a hotel-within-a-hotel (or adjacent). Thanks for the info, clearly in that case my experience wasn't relevant.
No worries. Your comments make more sense to me now too , as Your reviews/feedback have usually align with my tastes

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Are we talking about this property? http://www.taj51buckinghamgate.co.uk/
Yes.

Also, I wanted to acknowledge Valveking. You are right, the bathroom was the one thing that I thought could have been better: it was on the small side and felt a bit cramped.

Last edited by mumum17; Feb 13, 2016 at 9:49 am Reason: Added more comments
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:34 pm

No worries. Your comments make more sense to me now too , as Your reviews/feedback have usually align with my tastes

Yes.

Also, I wanted to acknowledge Valveking. You are right, the bathroom was the one thing that I thought could have been better: it was on the small side and felt a bit cramped.

May I know which is the room type that you booked that has the cramp bathroom?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

May I know which is the room type that you booked that has the cramp bathroom?
They both stayed in the Falconers Suite.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:16 am

So which are the renovated suites at Taj51 and which are the non-renovated suites which are very "grim"? The suite type I booked is a one bedroom Deluxe Suite at the King's Townhouse. According to the hotel website, they got 3 type of accommodation, Falconer, Minister and Kings.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:06 am

TBH, I truly believe that they will all be very good. I fact, call them directly to inquire about the rooms. They are quite responsive. The Ministers is the highest tier and Falconers in the middle. I don't know where the very grim rooms would be but I had no issues. The rooms are definitely on the larger sizes of suites in London. Their bathrooms are small but the rest of the suites more than make up for that. Our suite had a washer/dryer all in one that was so elegant and compact. The cleaning staff also cleaned/replaced our dishes/utensils from the kitchen/dinning room area each day. That's service.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:14 am

So which are the renovated suites at Taj51 and which are the non-renovated suites which are very "grim"? The suite type I booked is a one bedroom Deluxe Suite at the King's Townhouse. According to the hotel website, they got 3 type of accommodation, Falconer, Minister and Kings.
My stay was in December 2013, and I was booked into an "Junior Suite" but upgraded into what I think was a Kings 1BR that was spacious but old, smelly, dark, unrenovated. Even the bed linens smelled of cigarette smoke, although I was told it was a non-smoking room. I complained, and was moved into a renovated suite that was very nice.

I was back in London recently and would have stayed again but my Virtuoso TA wasn't able to get any sort of assurance that I wouldn't end up in an unrenovted room, so I ended up at the Rosewood, which I quite like.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:25 am

TBH, I truly believe that they will all be very good. I fact, call them directly to inquire about the rooms. They are quite responsive. The Ministers is the highest tier and Falconers in the middle. I don't know where the very grim rooms would be but I had no issues. The rooms are definitely on the larger sizes of suites in London. Their bathrooms are small but the rest of the suites more than make up for that. Our suite had a washer/dryer all in one that was so elegant and compact. The cleaning staff also cleaned/replaced our dishes/utensils from the kitchen/dinning room area each day. That's service.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about this property is that it's one of the very few that often apartment style living like a kitchen and a washing machine. Great for long stay.

Originally Posted by jkirk
My stay was in December 2013, and I was booked into an "Junior Suite" but upgraded into what I think was a Kings 1BR that was spacious but old, smelly, dark, unrenovated. Even the bed linens smelled of cigarette smoke, although I was told it was a non-smoking room. I complained, and was moved into a renovated suite that was very nice.

I was back in London recently and would have stayed again but my Virtuoso TA wasn't able to get any sort of assurance that I wouldn't end up in an unrenovted room, so I ended up at the Rosewood, which I quite like.
So those old "grim" suites do exist. Guess I better ensure I get a renovated suite then. On the contrary, my stay at the Rosewood was a nightmare. You cannot pay me to stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.