Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:41 am

The Dining Room at the Goring has been awarded a Michelin star in the 2016 guide. Personally I regard this as far and away the most attractive-looking hotel in London.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Avios, BAEC, Miles&More, Amex
bvlgari

park lane isn't a very interesting place, and some hotels there have their reputation... the Hilton on park lane is renowned for prostitution and the bar at the top of the hotel leaves little doubt...

the bulgari hotel on knightsbridge is amazing. sir richard branson was spotted there (by me)
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by obscure2k
The photographs are simply stunning. The Connaught, for years, has been my favorite hotel in London. One thing I really liked, is when I traveled on my own, without my husband, I had the feeling that the staff was mindful of my security and well-being. I love that hotel.
In general, the hotel is very tightly run - bars close early and staff make sure there isn't a lot of funny business. A very reassuring place to stay.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:14 am

Over the last 2 weeks, my husband and I stayed at both the Beaumont (4 nights) and the Haymarket Hotel (2 nights). Some thoughts on both of these hotels follow – happy to answer any other questions.

Somewhere upthread it was noted that the Beaumont is right for a "certain kind of traveler." While I’m still not sure what that means, it appears that perhaps I am that certain kind of traveler. I booked a Superior King room, and, given that it was London Fashion Week, there was no upgrade to be had, as they were running at full occupancy. I had noted in our reservation that we were arriving early, so as to not throw off the front desk staff when we inevitably arrived at 8am (which has happened to us elsewhere). They took the note to heart – when our car arrived at the hotel, the doorman welcomed me by name. (This same doorman, btw, remembered our names throughout our stay). Although our room was not ready when we arrived, we were able to leave our bags and freshen up in the spa. We went out and explored for the day, and when we arrived back in the early afternoon, our room was ready.

The room was not exceptionally large, but I will say that it was well organized. There are lots of closets and built-ins, so that there was ample storage, and my husband and I never felt like we were on top of each other. The bathroom was sizeable, with separate shower and toilet rooms (no bathtub). Toiletries are D.R. Harris. One nice little feature the Beaumont offers is free non-alcoholic minibar and snacks. The free minibar is stocked with 2 bottles of still water, 2 bottles of sparkling water, plus juices and sodas. There are also nibbles such as crisps, nuts and candy. In addition, they leave bottles of water out at turndown. Finally, there’s a Nespresso machine and a tea kettle with various teas on offer (as well as proper milk in the fridge, which is a nice touch). We joked that the hotel was keeping us well hydrated!

Speaking of turndown, service really is the star here. Our room was serviced efficiently every day. The Beaumont offers a free complimentary continental breakfast, which can be taken in either the dining room or as room service. It consists of your choice of coffee or tea, juice, and either scones or pastries. We went down and ate in the dining room every day, and I think on all days but 1, our room was serviced while we were at breakfast. The doormen were also really on top of the things at the door, offering umbrellas when it rained, and even giving the rotating door a little push to help you on your way. I should note that the Beaumont adds a 5% service charge to the bill, and thus operates on a no-tipping policy. Sometimes, this backfires, and leads to lackluster service, but that’s not the case here.

Finally, although it’s located just 1 block off of Oxford Street, this hotel is quiet! This is a huge thing for us, as we're pretty sensitive to noise, and are always looking for a quiet hotel.

Final thoughts: nice room on the small side, excellent and efficient service. I’m not sure this is the best value hotel, but we would definitely stay here again.

On to the Haymarket in the next post…

Last edited by Buster; Oct 7, 2015 at 4:13 pm Reason: correction
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:16 am

In January, we had stayed at the Ham Yard Hotel, and while we liked the design, the service really left something to be desired. We decided to try another, smaller Firmdale, and chose the Haymarket.

As with other Firmdales, the design here is quirky. I suspect it's either something you love or you hate. We are fans, and love the looks of the hotels. I booked a Luxury room, and the room felt larger than we had at the Beaumont. It was something of a big square, as opposed to the Beaumont , which was sort of a long rectangle of a room. The bathroom was one big room – no separate toilet room here. Again, shower only and no bathtub.

Overall, we enjoyed the Haymarket, and would consider staying here again, but a few things keep it from being perfect or highly recommended. Sadly, we found service here to be friendly, but a bit lacking. My husband had an appointment that he was late for when we arrived, so we hopped out of the cab and he ran to his appointment while I checked us in. Unfortunately, there was no one at the door to assist in getting the luggage up the steps to the hotel. The room wasn’t serviced until very late in the day, and ultimately, we ended up in the room at the same time as the housekeeper. The towels in the bathroom are TINY, like smaller than you'd get at a Hampton Inn. I'm a reasonably small woman, and can't wrap the towel around myself. My husband commented that the TV looked ridiculously small in the room (and in fact, it is a very small TV). There are no coffee or teamaking facilities in the room. I still find the Kit Kemp RikRak toiletries to be much too strongly scented – I used the body lotion one day and could smell it all day long. Finally, I'm not fond of the 1 giant key fob system, where you have to leave the key at the front desk. It doesn't feel secure, and it's not particularly convenient.

Ultimately, these are all small things, and definitely first world problems, but when you're comparing hotels head to head, we came away with the impression that the Beaumont was a much better run and more thoughtfully designed hotel. Service is an emphasis at the Beaumont, and a bit of an afterthought at the Haymarket. I will say that for being in a very busy area, the Haymarket is very quiet. That alone scores it points, and means that we would consider staying here again.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:31 am

Totally agree with Buster about The Beaumont versus Ham Yard & Haymarket hotels.

The best Firmdales are the older London properties, especially Covent Garden Hotel, where the service is very good.

It seems that the later properties, which are larger, suffer from poor management, as if Firmdale have never quite managed to get their head around anything over 50 rooms.

After being a devotee of Firmdale every since they first started, I now find myself a much bigger devotee of The Beaumont.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:13 pm

Thank you Buster for the review of the Beaumont. We are really looking forward to our stay in December. I do have a couple of questions. Were you able to take advantage of the hotel car? Did you eat in the Colony for any meals besides breakfast, and if so, your thoughts? Finally, the website mentions a 5% service charge while you mention 12.5%. Have they increased the rate? Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by wjm457
Thank you Buster for the review of the Beaumont. We are really looking forward to our stay in December. I do have a couple of questions. Were you able to take advantage of the hotel car? Did you eat in the Colony for any meals besides breakfast, and if so, your thoughts? Finally, the website mentions a 5% service charge while you mention 12.5%. Have they increased the rate? Thanks
We did not take advantage of the hotel car. We really only had thought to do so to get us to Paddington to get on the Heathrow Express, but it was not available, so we took a taxi. You cannot pre-book the car - if it's available when you want to take it, you can just take it.

We didn't eat any other meals besides breakfast there, so can't comment on the quality of the food, although my husband did order scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast one morning, and they were excellent.

You're right - it's a 5% charge, not a 12.5% charge. Was thinking of somewhere else. I'll go edit that now!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by wjm457
I had dinner at The Colony Grill and lunch in the Bar - both were excellent. Don't forget that the owners of The Beaumont have been restaurateurs for 30 years, so they are very good indeed. The food in the Grill is retro - lots of classic British and American dishes done beautifully. Even if you are staying, I would advise you to book, as The Colony Grill is very popular.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I had dinner at The Colony Grill and lunch in the Bar - both were excellent. Don't forget that the owners of The Beaumont have been restaurateurs for 30 years, so they are very good indeed. The food in the Grill is retro - lots of classic British and American dishes done beautifully. Even if you are staying, I would advise you to book, as The Colony Grill is very popular.
Thanks. As we're staying 4 nights hopefully we can get both a lunch and dinner in.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Have you tried the Langham? their new club lounge and club area has opened and i can reccomend from previous stays, the club is like a small hotel in the big hotel whilst still having a pool, roux excellent restaurant, bar full of the bbc etc!
I am here now and am underwhelmed. Got an upgrade to a suite (from Club Jr. Suite)and, while it is nice to have the extra room, it's on the other side of the hotel and requires two elevators and a long walk. The LR needs more lighting and the TV system is the worst I have ever encountered. It freezes up, requires
a hard to manipulate scrolling motion to change channels and I've had to have someone come up to restart it. I also had to have the super noisy minibar shut down as it was keeping us awake at night. As well, sound insulation with the connecting room is poor.

My check in was super but I have really not encountered any front of house staff since. Literally never has anyone said hello or good bye and I think the security is not up to snuff as anyone can walk in and access any part of the hotel. There is a very popular bar in the lobby and this evening the line looked like one I'd see in Las Vegas, requiring guests to kind of snake through.

I do like the location, housekeeping has been excellent, the bed is comfortable and the club lounge and breakfast venues have been fine. To me, however, it feels more like a bustling wedding venue kind of place, not a refined high end luxury property. I'd only stay again if I needed to be in this area. My past few visits have been to the Corinthia and, while it is also a bit impersonal, it has more panache.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
To me, however, it feels more like a bustling wedding venue kind of place, not a refined high end luxury property. I'd only stay again if I needed to be in this area. My past few visits have been to the Corinthia and, while it is also a bit impersonal, it has more panache.
I agree with you. We tried the Langham three times before deciding "never again", which I feel is more than enough chances. The hotel just seems too large or too understaffed to allow for true luxury, as no one ever speaks to you or even seems to remember you. The breakfast was lousy and the pool area felt like being at a childrens holiday camp as it was so overcrowded and loud.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I agree with you. We tried the Langham three times before deciding "never again", which I feel is more than enough chances. The hotel just seems too large or too understaffed to allow for true luxury, as no one ever speaks to you or even seems to remember you. The breakfast was lousy and the pool area felt like being at a childrens holiday camp as it was so overcrowded and loud.

Sounds like once would have been enough!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Sounds like once would have been enough!
Too true. Before I had an agreed rate with The Connaught I used to seek out the best rates with London hotels for when I had a series of meetings/events and sometimes the Langham had some really good deals in place. It's why I've tried almost every top 5 star hotel in central London. I just couldn't justify spending £900/n at times to stay in a hotel by myself in a basic room due to peak demand.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Too true. Before I had an agreed rate with The Connaught I used to seek out the best rates with London hotels for when I had a series of meetings/events and sometimes the Langham had some really good deals in place. It's why I've tried almost every top 5 star hotel in central London. I just couldn't justify spending £900/n at times to stay in a hotel by myself in a basic room due to peak demand.
Wish I had the Connaught to agree a rate with in Seoul. Also did the luxury hotel shuffle here. Replace Langham with Shilla and we had the same experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.