Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Good choice. I mentioned around here recently that we used to eat out a lot, but now tend to eat in at The Connaught when we stay, as the quality has improved so much. I highly recommend their steaks, as the quality is incredible. We probably eat there once a week on average now.
Oh yes , thanks , having lots of tomahawks recently . Will do , perhaps see you too midweek .
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:13 am

Yes, I was invited to stay there before it officially opened. I do not want to sound dismissive, but I don't think I'd stay there again. It's not due to them doing anything wrong, it's just not exceptional in my opinion and there are better hotels in London. This could entirely be due to having stayed before the official launch, or just that we didn't spend that much time there. I personally fail to understand the appeal of the Wolseley and the same style of food exists at The Beaumont, which certainly means I wouldn't go eat there again either.

Based on the location, would you rather stay here or pay Ł50/n more to stay literally around the corner at The Connaught? Easy choice for me. However, it does have some nice amenities such as free mini-bar, Apple TV's in every room so you can link up your computer to the TV, and free movies on the TV. Things that don't cost much, but good luck getting them anywhere else in London and I always appreciate that value is being added. Base level rooms are a decent size and if the food is to your liking, it's very reasonably priced and I believe breakfast is included in the base rate. Add this all up, and I suppose it could end up considerably less than staying at The Connaught (it's worth noting that The Connaught are the only London hotel I know, that if you book with FHR you get a continental breakfast; everyone else will just cover breakfast, regardless of the cost).

One thing I really wasn't a fan on is the hotel entrance. You have to walk down an alleyway to get there, and as the hotel does not own it, we found it quite dirty and even though you're in the heart of Mayfair, there's a strange feeling about it being unsafe late at night, due to how poorly lit it is.
Interesting. I wonder if they've sorted out the entrance at all since. I have a stay booked there in September, and your post is making me rethink this. I like the look of the Beaumont in pictures - I prefer a more contemporary, casual elegance to a hotel rather than a more traditional luxury hotel which might be a little fussier in style, so the Beaumont appealed to me.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Glad to hear you had a good experience, submonte.

I have now been here several nights and last night had dinner in their fish place, Kaspar's, to use up the virtuoso F&B credit. Also have had room service breakfast.

There is nothing at all bad about this hotel; at the right price I would stay here again (although not below the junior suite level that I am currently in), but again, it simply is too large and too Fairmont to offer a luxury hotel experience.

It's also too touristy. Drink prices in the bars are insane, even for high-end hotels, and the waiter (Kaspar's didn't appear to have a wine steward) continued to tout only the most expensive wines on the list even when I asked for alternatives. Also, markups on wine appeared to be an egregious 4x retail.

On the plus side, hotel staff are quite good at responding promptly to requests, except for internet support which is sent to a Fairmont team of script-readers in India who are more annoying than helpful.

What continues to be totally missing is any sense of being welcome or of hotel staff being proactive. It also verges on petty fraud to claim I will get certain extra services (some free pressing on check-in, so-called butler service) on their website when the hotel has absolutely no intention of providing them.

I continue to regard the Savoy as a very good upscale, not luxury, hotel.
Following the publicity in German TV about the renovation and re-opening with HRH Prince of Wales and the owner HRH Prince Al-Waleed we had been very curious to stay there, and were not disappointed during those bad days, and will always keep that stay in good memory, and consider this hotel therefore as option for us.

Thank you RichardInSF, and all others here, for the really interesting and informative input from a current point of view.

I have learned that there are many luxury hotel options in London which I can try out next time, and am looking forward to my next stay in London.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Buster
Interesting. I wonder if they've sorted out the entrance at all since. I have a stay booked there in September, and your post is making me rethink this. I like the look of the Beaumont in pictures - I prefer a more contemporary, casual elegance to a hotel rather than a more traditional luxury hotel which might be a little fussier in style, so the Beaumont appealed to me.
I honestly wouldn't be worried in staying there - it's a great hotel, it's just I've stayed in much better places that I prefer in London, such as The Connaught, Bulgari, Shangri-La or The Berkeley.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:13 pm

Yes, I was invited to stay there before it officially opened. I do not want to sound dismissive, but I don't think I'd stay there again. It's not due to them doing anything wrong, it's just not exceptional in my opinion and there are better hotels in London. This could entirely be due to having stayed before the official launch, or just that we didn't spend that much time there. I personally fail to understand the appeal of the Wolseley and the same style of food exists at The Beaumont, which certainly means I wouldn't go eat there again either.

Based on the location, would you rather stay here or pay Ł50/n more to stay literally around the corner at The Connaught? Easy choice for me. However, it does have some nice amenities such as free mini-bar, Apple TV's in every room so you can link up your computer to the TV, and free movies on the TV. Things that don't cost much, but good luck getting them anywhere else in London and I always appreciate that value is being added. Base level rooms are a decent size and if the food is to your liking, it's very reasonably priced and I believe breakfast is included in the base rate. Add this all up, and I suppose it could end up considerably less than staying at The Connaught (it's worth noting that The Connaught are the only London hotel I know, that if you book with FHR you get a continental breakfast; everyone else will just cover breakfast, regardless of the cost).

One thing I really wasn't a fan on is the hotel entrance. You have to walk down an alleyway to get there, and as the hotel does not own it, we found it quite dirty and even though you're in the heart of Mayfair, there's a strange feeling about it being unsafe late at night, due to how poorly lit it is.
Thanks so much for such a detailed comment - I really appreciate it. Friends have said much the same thing, but I liked the fact it was small, as I am a big Firmdale fan in London.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Thanks so much for such a detailed comment - I really appreciate it. Friends have said much the same thing, but I liked the fact it was small, as I am a big Firmdale fan in London.
I also like small hotels. We are bookending our France trip with time in London, and we're staying at the Beaumont at the start and the Haymarket at the end.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:55 pm

As do I. I have four nights booked at the Beaumont but not until December. I would certainly be interested in any comments on recent stays.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
langham

I also like small hotels. We are bookending our France trip with time in London, and we're staying at the Beaumont at the start and the Haymarket at the end.
Have you tried the Langham? their new club lounge and club area has opened and i can reccomend from previous stays, the club is like a small hotel in the big hotel whilst still having a pool, roux excellent restaurant, bar full of the bbc etc!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rosewood also has club for suites, dont recall if any discussion here yet
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Was the dress code cr*p still enforced?
Yes, the anti-cr*p dresscode is still enforced at the Savoy and the Ritz, and several others.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Yes, the anti-cr*p dresscode is still enforced at the Savoy and the Ritz, and several others.
Well , at the Ritz it wasn't OTT or rather it wasn't too bad when we were there last week , but nonetheless all rather pretentious , as well with many of the staff .
Won ' t be back in a hurry & it won't be to stay anyway . Much better options including The Connaught , The Halkin , etc , perhaps even some clubs .
Enjoyed our meal at Espelette , The Connaught , loved the lamb & steak - as suggested by MacMyDay , thanks
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Has anyone tried The Beaumont yet? http://www.thebeaumont.com/
Wow! The décor and furnishings are amazing! If the numerous photographs on the web site are any indication they have certainly nailed a total look with loads of interesting detail - without it looking contrived or fussy in the least.

Very tempting...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , at the Ritz it wasn't OTT or rather it wasn't too bad when we were there last week , but nonetheless all rather pretentious , as well with many of the staff .
Won ' t be back in a hurry & it won't be to stay anyway . Much better options including The Connaught , The Halkin , etc , perhaps even some clubs .
Enjoyed our meal at Espelette , The Connaught , loved the lamb & steak - as suggested by MacMyDay , thanks
Pleased to have helped and glad you enjoyed it.

I've too have stayed at The Ritz and your views echo my own. I went about 3 years ago and haven't been back since.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Wow! The décor and furnishings are amazing! If the numerous photographs on the web site are any indication they have certainly nailed a total look with loads of interesting detail - without it looking contrived or fussy in the least.

Very tempting...
Agree - going to book it.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The Lanesborough opened on the 2nd. Is any good hearted Flyertalker willing to stroll over and take pictures of the restaurants, rooms, and report back on the purported splendor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.