Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by indianenglish
I usually stay at the Connaught or FS while in Zone 1 but recently tried the Baglioni across from Hyde Park and was pleasantly surprised.

The Italian restaurant downstairs is pretty good. I think they have one Michelin star. The spa is very tiny and there is no pool.

I was instantly upgraded to a suite on one of the higher floors and had a fabulous view of Hyde Park. By London standards, it was a huge room layout. I am sure I can find some pictures if need be.

Gloucester Road and Hyde Park Gate tube stops are nearby so you are well connected to transportation.

Service was pretty good as well. A lot of Italian guests too, sometimes felt I was on the continent.
You are being rather generous to this hotel..
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I agree it would have to be either Knightsbridge or High Street Kensington.
Isn't there a tube stop right across from the gates with a little M&S shop right outside it?

Anyway, High St Ken is pretty close for sure.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re baglioni london and stations >
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bagli...72558&t=m&z=15
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:08 pm

Rosewood and Shangri-la are now taking reservations. I am intrigued by both. However, Shangri-la has the best hard product of the two.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Rosewood and Shangri-la are now taking reservations. I am intrigued by both. However, Shangri-la has the best hard product of the two.
How is it possible to understand the hard product of two properties which have not opened yet?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:45 pm

How is it possible to understand the hard product of two properties which have not opened yet?
You do realize that the Rosewood up until recently was flagged as the Chancellory Court Hotel but under Rosewood senior management as they renovated parts of the hotel. You could even stay in one of the new renovated rooms... I did...

The Shangri-la, from contact with their development team and visiting the site, I was much more impressed...

I of course withhold judgment on service and how the hotels operate as fully functioning hotels until I visit them again this fall..
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blackbook
When soft opening is scheduled for Shangri-La?
I am trying to go on their website but it is down. Good start
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
When I first heard about the new Shangri La, I thought I would definitely try it out once properly opened, probably in 2014.

But I was walking past its entrance the other day. It is on St. Thomas St. (on the corner of Joiner St. which is the little pedestrian underpath leading into the London Bridge tube station). In my opinion, not a very impressive location for a luxury hotel. We will have to see how the immediate area changes, once the building and the hotel are in full swing. For the moment, I will probably not try the Shangri La, because I like to be closer to some local restaurants, shops, and the like.

Of course London Bridge Station has the trains, tube, and lots of busses. Also, it is easy to walk across London Bridge or take a taxi.

Last edited by Greg45; Jul 26, 2013 at 1:49 am
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Some people can
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
When soft opening is scheduled for Shangri-La?
I am trying to go on their website but it is down. Good start
November 1 is their new opening date...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:35 am

Shangri-La always seem to open well, then after around a year, they appear to start cutting costs and compromising, so I am not anticipating the opening of Shangri-La London at all, especially when there are much better options in town.

The one I am really interested in is The Peninsula - now that could be quite something!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Shangri-La always seem to open well, then after around a year, they appear to start cutting costs and compromising, so I am not anticipating the opening of Shangri-La London at all, especially when there are much better options in town.

The one I am really interested in is The Peninsula - now that could be quite something!
I agree re Peninsula.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Shangri-La always seem to open well, then after around a year, they appear to start cutting costs and compromising
This is why I want to go at the very beginning!
The pool with a view can be a nice place to try (you know I am a pool guy, that's why I just LOVE Bvlgari).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
This is why I want to go at the very beginning!
The pool with a view can be a nice place to try (you know I am a pool guy, that's why I just LOVE Bvlgari).
Ah, all is explained!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:56 pm

I would vote for a stay at the Stafford in St. James'. If you want "luxury" book a Mews Suite. The location cannot be beat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.