Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Does anyone honestly think that if Prince Harry walked into the Savoy or Berkeley dressed in a turtleneck and blazer they would not serve him?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the ritz is the one mentioning jacket and tie..

when they have dress codes, that is a hugely important topic for london luxury hotels, especially as it seems some are not publishing the dress code specifically enough.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by nba1017
When was this?

I've never heard of the Berkeley having any sort of dress-code and I lived there for several months. Either way, that's an awful, awful attitude, hopefully limited to one staffer, and I hope you brought it up with management. For what it's worth, I consider the Berkeley to be the most casual (in an elegant way) of the hotels in London.
The incident took place about 3-4 years ago. I do hope things have changed since then. It was my first stay and I very much wanted to like the hotel. It was recommended by friends who described it as a good fit for someone like myself who is not a Connaught or Savoy "type". I was expecting exactly what you described: a casual (yet elegant in an understated way) hotel.

Unfortunately the incident was so embedded on my mind that I have not been back.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The purpose of this thread is to help those attempting to choose a London luxury hotel. A dress code, if any, is one factor but compared to other factors in choosing a hotel it seems to be overly-discussed here. A civil discussion of dress codes at luxury hotels might be a good topic for another thread, if this discussion hasn't yet run its course.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re service at london luxury hotels - i wonder if anyone has ever talked to management about dress code, or not paid, or received service recovery. when either unpublished or not enforced, leading to having to change hotels, as mentioned above at two london luxury hotels.

some posts contain first hand experiences which clarify vague published dress codes at london luxury hotels. exact dress code must be known in order to pack appropriately or choose appropriate london luxury hotel.

another post contained a first hand report re attempt to get information from savoy on dress code, and not getting any actual specifics in savoy's response.

savoy - published dress code unclear, confirmed by report(s)

berkeley >
koffmanns / caramel room - "Smart casual"
blue bar - "smart casual, no flip-flops or shorts"
marcus wareing - "Smart casual, no sportswear"
tea - "Elegant smart casual; no shorts, vests, sportswear, flip-flops, ripped jeans or baseball caps"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
when (london) hotel does not publish a specific enough dress code, first hand reports (as seen here) are required

first hand reports could also explain if they are not enforcing
Yes, and now we've had those reports so it's time to move on!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:36 pm

Not sure if an answer is still required but I really enjoyed the Melia Whitehouse last time I was in that neighbourhood. Possibly not quite high end enough, on the other hand I found it high end enough to be highly enjoyable and not so much that it was stuffy and oppressive.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wijnands
Not sure if an answer is still required but I really enjoyed the Melia Whitehouse last time I was in that neighbourhood. Possibly not quite high end enough, on the other hand I found it high end enough to be highly enjoyable and not so much that it was stuffy and oppressive.
The rooftop terrace does look like quite a nice place for an aperitivo....
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I just booked two nights at the Savoy and will then try out the ME London since its right next door and it also looks rather pleasing.

Are there any 'trip reports' regarding the restaurants in the Savoy?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by lsed
I just booked two nights at the Savoy and will then try out the ME London since its right next door and it also looks rather pleasing.

Are there any 'trip reports' regarding the restaurants in the Savoy?
I would recommend Afternoon Tea at Thames Foyer. Had Champagne Tea on Easter Sunday. Wonderful ambiance. Piano playing. Service attentive. Exqusite food quality. There is a Tripadvisor review here by luxtraveller66 (April 29th, 2012) which is in full accordance with my experiences:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...n_England.html

The Beaufort Bar is very elegant. The American Bar: Vital impression with live Jazz music. Savoy Grill we did not try.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Last year we had Sunday Roast at the Savoy Grill. The service was decent and the roast quite good, tender and flavourful. However, the yorkshire pudding was disastrous - mine tasted like petrol. The place was packed with a chav-ish crowd who were loud and obnoxious at the best of times; it seems there was a Groupon deal for the Grill. All in all, it was decent. Gordon Ramsay still fails to impress me (I thought Royal Hospital Road was rather disappointing too)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by luxury
Last year we had Sunday Roast at the Savoy Grill. The service was decent and the roast quite good, tender and flavourful. However, the yorkshire pudding was disastrous - mine tasted like petrol. The place was packed with a chav-ish crowd who were loud and obnoxious at the best of times; it seems there was a Groupon deal for the Grill. All in all, it was decent. Gordon Ramsay still fails to impress me (I thought Royal Hospital Road was rather disappointing too)
Awful place, I agree. Unlike me, you had decent service!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
Arrow The Baglioni

I usually stay at the Connaught or FS while in Zone 1 but recently tried the Baglioni across from Hyde Park and was pleasantly surprised.

The Italian restaurant downstairs is pretty good. I think they have one Michelin star. The spa is very tiny and there is no pool.

I was instantly upgraded to a suite on one of the higher floors and had a fabulous view of Hyde Park. By London standards, it was a huge room layout. I am sure I can find some pictures if need be.

Gloucester Road and Hyde Park Gate tube stops are nearby so you are well connected to transportation.

Service was pretty good as well. A lot of Italian guests too, sometimes felt I was on the continent.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by indianenglish
I usually stay at the Connaught or FS while in Zone 1 but recently tried the Baglioni across from Hyde Park and was pleasantly surprised.

Gloucester Road and Hyde Park Gate tube stops are nearby so you are well connected to ...
Hyde Park Gate Tube Stop? No such place. I think you mean High Street Kensington
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Hyde Park Gate Tube Stop? No such place. I think you mean High Street Kensington
I agree it would have to be either Knightsbridge or High Street Kensington.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.