Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I did stay recently at Aldwych, used the guest only lounge (aka the mezzanine) and posted a review. It is still very good although different toiletries (which I like).
ah, i see you posted jan 14 on the other forum.

interesting that when Campbell Gray stopped managing in early 2011 it did not come up here. same GM from oct 2008 to jan 2013, now moved to st martins lane / morgans hotels.

early 2011 is when FS reopened. (reopened before campbell gray stopped managing) no pool at FS, but maybe many of the aldwych fans moved (back) to FS. certainly luxury for example.

and the lounge >
http://www.onealdwych.com/rooms/lounge-at-one.aspx

edit - perhaps firmdale have not gotten the same level of positive comments on service though
as FS has always, and aldwych has pretty much gotten just not as much discussion lately

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ah, i see you posted jan 14 on the other forum.

interesting that when Campbell Gray stopped managing in early 2011 it did not come up here. same GM from oct 2008 to jan 2013, now moved to st martins lane / morgans hotels.

early 2011 is when FS reopened. (reopened before campbell gray stopped managing) no pool at FS, but maybe many of the aldwych fans moved (back) to FS. certainly luxury for example.
FS is a great hotel- but if worjing near the city the park lane location is not as convenient- one thing I really like about Aldwych is walking to meetings in the morning.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Corinthia, which I agree is not a luxury hotel (and at which I did not have a good experience), is, however, doing a third night free promotion during the summer. Do not consider less than a premier room and even those vary widely.

People here talk about the Savoy being a Fairmont but don't seem to mention that the Lanesborough is a Starwood!
Yes, Richard it is unfortunate that Starwood, one of the worst hotel mega groups in my opinion, manages it through its equally unremarkable St Regis brand (I never thought the St Regis in NYC was remarkable enough to be a gobal brand but it is now). This is why I noted that the Lanesborough on some occasions is my second or third London hotel choice.

The Aldwych has really gone down hill in my estimation..

And the place to stay near the city come September is the Shangri-La.

Last edited by Blackbook; Jun 15, 2013 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackbook
The Aldwych has really gone down hill in my estimation...
And which part has gone down hill really in your estimation?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:38 pm

And which part has gone down hill really in your estimation?
I thought it was a better managed property under Campbell Grey...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackbook
I thought it was a better managed property under Campbell Grey...
Hmmm.. interesting- I have not noticed too much difference.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:48 am

Hmmm.. interesting- I have not noticed too much difference.
I miss as well the other dining options they had. I do though like their rooms.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. I would like you advice on how best to communicate to the hotel in advance that we are celebrating a special occasion (my 40th b-day). I hope this will provide them some added incentive to provide us with some room upgrades and other perks.

Call the hotel directly? Call the FHR reservation line? I did not use a TA.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doc04
Thank you all for the feedback. I would like you advice on how best to communicate to the hotel in advance that we are celebrating a special occasion (my 40th b-day). I hope this will provide them some added incentive to provide us with some room upgrades and other perks.

Call the hotel directly? Call the FHR reservation line? I did not use a TA.
If you used FHR then you did use a TA.

In any event, sending a FAX to the hotel I find always works very well attention to the Rooms Division or Reservations Division manager as appropriate to the property.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:04 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by doc04
Thank you all for the feedback.
did I miss the post with your final choice after Savoy?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: http://www.hillsidesedona.net
The Four Seasons London is a wonderful place where the senses remain awake: breakfast featuring a dazzling sunrise, stunning views of Hyde Park, unforgettable Amaranto restaurant and luxury spa
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
sorry, but I'd hardly call Amaranto unforgettable.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
It's a good restaurant, but for a much better italian experience I prefer the Bvlgari restaurant. Decor is a bit dark but they are planning a light refurbishment to make it more welcoming.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
It's a good restaurant, but for a much better italian experience I prefer the Bvlgari restaurant. Decor is a bit dark but they are planning a light refurbishment to make it more welcoming.
With all of London's great restaurants, I rarely dine at the hotel. I found Amaranto run of the mill Italian. I wish the FS had put more thought in their F&B options.

Last edited by Blackbook; Jun 19, 2013 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by wripro
Their are so many great restaurants around, so IK didn´t try it. Don´t think it can compare with Marcus Wareing & co

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.