Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Wow, that's lovely, and nowhere near as chintzy/stuffy as I expected from the Connaught. For some reason, I think of it as being "old school" London luxury, but that actually looks quite contemporary.
I was never there before their refurb, which I think was back in 2007, but since then they do have a contemporary wing to the hotel which looks nothing like you you would envisage it. However, some of the suites in the old part of hotel are still absolutely stunning. I really don't like the Claridges/Ritz feel to hotels, yet The Connaught does a good job of mixing in the past and future very well, without it feeling stuffy.
I think we've now stayed in every suite now, excluding The Apartment since we started stating regularly about 2.5 years ago. The Library is stunning, but clearly too big if there's just 2 of you. My personal favourite is The Eagles Lodge, which is on the top floor and has a great balcony. Their website does a terrible job of selling it, as I'd actually choose it over the Terrace Suite and I think it's about half the price.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Why is it that every UK journalist appears to have written snide reviews of The Lanesborough, mostly concentrating on the price of the suites?
I think because this is the point most people are fascinated about and most journalists don´t write for People who would stay there.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:41 pm

That Library Suite is amazing.

Anyone stay in The Apartment?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The photographs are simply stunning. The Connaught, for years, has been my favorite hotel in London. One thing I really liked, is when I traveled on my own, without my husband, I had the feeling that the staff was mindful of my security and well-being. I love that hotel.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
That Library Suite is amazing.

Anyone stay in The Apartment?
I've been in there for a tour, but never stayed. I would say I prefer The Library Suite, but The Apartment benefits from a balcony which during England's 3 days of nice weather a year, would be nice to be out on. I'll hopefully get a chance to stay in it before the end of the year and will report back here.

Here is the view looking out of The Library Suite - it's over looking the Terrace Suite balcony.

Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I think because this is the point most people are fascinated about and most journalists don´t write for People who would stay there.
You are so correct about this. Maybe I should just stop reading them!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Savoy from a picky ex Londoner

this summer ( late August) we stayed at the savoy. We lived in Kensington for a number of years and typically stay at the Berkeley, Connaught, or Claridges. In that order of preference btw. My hubby got it in him after 4 weeks on vacation in Corsica and Italy he wanted a view of the Thames, and that he got - beautiful I must say.

Check-in - we had an early checkin but had to wait having arrived at about 2:30. They bought us champagne in the bar so we were fine. Received a lovely 1 bedroom suite on the 7th floor with a great view. Loved the room. Service was mas o menos. A bit off. Butler had no idea what to do, turn down was sporadic in the 5 days there, room service breakfast always missed one thing, papers had to be asked for 3 out of 5 mornings, but oh that view, it was terrific. Location was a bit far from the restaurants and friends we visited and did not care for the in house restaurants, but loved the view. Will we go back there? Likely not, prefer the other locations, but was a beautiful end of summer room with a view where we enjoyed room service breakfast by the window each day and an after dinner drink each night. Nice end of a summer in Europe! Not top hotel in London but we enjoyed our experience!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Larkin
this summer ( late August) we stayed at the savoy. We lived in Kensington for a number of years and typically stay at the Berkeley, Connaught, or Claridges. In that order of preference btw. My hubby got it in him after 4 weeks on vacation in Corsica and Italy he wanted a view of the Thames, and that he got - beautiful I must say.

Check-in - we had an early checkin but had to wait having arrived at about 2:30. They bought us champagne in the bar so we were fine. Received a lovely 1 bedroom suite on the 7th floor with a great view. Loved the room. Service was mas o menos. A bit off. Butler had no idea what to do, turn down was sporadic in the 5 days there, room service breakfast always missed one thing, papers had to be asked for 3 out of 5 mornings, but oh that view, it was terrific. Location was a bit far from the restaurants and friends we visited and did not care for the in house restaurants, but loved the view. Will we go back there? Likely not, prefer the other locations, but was a beautiful end of summer room with a view where we enjoyed room service breakfast by the window each day and an after dinner drink each night. Nice end of a summer in Europe! Not top hotel in London but we enjoyed our experience!

I got the same experience. The housekeeping service was somehow subpar during my last stay. It's first time I stayed in this property that they could not service the room on demand or even forgotten to turn down the room completely. A call to a Manager quickly resolved the problem but it should not have to come to that. I guess for that particular stay, they were under-staffed. Fortunately, the other aspects of my stay remains great.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:51 pm

Beaumont Hotel

This place was discussed earlier in the year. I was wondering if anyone has stayed? We have a reservation in December for 4 nights.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by wjm457
This place was discussed earlier in the year. I was wondering if anyone has stayed? We have a reservation in December for 4 nights.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25021885

Just as a hint, there's a "Search this Thread" button on every thread. I clicked on this and typed in "beaumont" in there to find my previous post. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The Laslett looks lovely.
http://www.living-rooms.co.uk/hotel/the-laslett/gallery

Has anyone already stayed at this property?
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Tiny rooms go from 16sqmt to 34sqmt for what they call their "master bedroom suite." The decor in the photos in the gallery you linked to reminds me of Ikea. I am thinking this is not even an upscale hotel.
I have recently stayed there, as I wanted to be in Notting Hill. I liked the decor very much (it's not Ikea at all, but a very nice combination of a historical townhouse with contemporary furnishings), but still I am not in a rush to go back.

Rooms are indeed small - we were in the "Master Bedroom Suite", the top category, and while I am used to hotels being creative with room names, I felt this was a bit deceptive. Nothing "suite" about the room. Single sink in bathroom, shower in the tub. Single-glazed windows, meaning it's noisy at night.

I am willing to compromise on these things, but I am not willing to pay a substantial premium for "style" alone.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:06 am

Yes, I stayed and thought it was the best boutique hotel in London. Can't wait to go back there.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:52 am

We will be there on Sunday...will post my thoughts here!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Virgin, MileagePlus, Hilton Honors
@vuitton - why was it the best, curious to know. I had mixed feelings when I was there.

@wjm - I stayed there on a recent trip in April and thought it was good but again the thing with the Beaumont is that it is for a specific type of traveler. what are you guys looking for? My favorite place that I stayed at was the Corinthia.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:25 pm

@wjm - I stayed there on a recent trip in April and thought it was good but again the thing with the Beaumont is that it is for a specific type of traveler. what are you guys looking for? My favorite place that I stayed at was the Corinthia.[/QUOTE]

I looked at a lot of hotels before choosing the Beaumont. We do like art deco design, which was one factor. Cost was another as our budget was $2500 for the four nights for a Premier room. There are a lot of nice hotels in London and frankly it was difficult to choose. I had looked at the Rosewood. Corinthian also looked nice. Frankly I had to choose before I went nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.