Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Larkin
Good question, " what is the Connaught missing"? Can't put my finger on it, maybe the rooms just inconsistent unless you go really high end, and I prefer the newer for some room types and older for others. We like only deluxe jr suite and above. Love the bar, love the location, service very good, but just not one of my favorite hotels in the world! Some cities I just find a hotel I love and stick to it. Haven't found that in London although Connaught closest thing! ( and I like Berkeley with right rooms).
I liked the Connaught but I did find it just a tad stuffy. I don't get that vibe at FS Park Lane or the Lanesborough. I got it in spades at the Savoy, but that hotel is clearly not interested in my business.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Mar 30, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Larkin
Good question, " what is the Connaught missing"? Can't put my finger on it, maybe the rooms just inconsistent unless you go really high end, and I prefer the newer for some room types and older for others. We like only deluxe jr suite and above. Love the bar, love the location, service very good, but just not one of my favorite hotels in the world! Some cities I just find a hotel I love and stick to it. Haven't found that in London although Connaught closest thing! ( and I like Berkeley with right rooms). Would like to try Shangri la just for the sake of trying the views, etc.
Old rooms at the Connaught are a mixed bag. New section rooms generally better. But it is correct that experiences vary depending on what section you hit.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by grumbler
Old rooms at the Connaught are a mixed bag. New section rooms generally better. But it is correct that experiences vary depending on what section you hit.
Agree like new rooms! Ask for the more modern side of hotel IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
You can ask in advance what area you want and I've found they will honour it. We had a period of about a year where we always asked to stay in the contemporary wing, as their standard rooms are much nicer, but once you get onto suites then I prefer the original part of the hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:12 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, London, England, UK [REVIEW:PHOTOS:VIDEOS]

February 2016, 2 nights / 3 days

When planning and booking our holiday to Fuerteventura we returned via London to Dublin and decided to use the weekend completely, spending two nights there. Having stayed previously at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower, which we liked, and having passed the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel numerous times, we thought we should book the Lowndes to have experience with all two Jumeirah properties in London.

|| JUMEIRAH LOWNDES HOTEL || LONDON || ENGLAND || UK || OUR STAY INCL. EXECUTIVE SUITE, IN-ROOM BREAKFAST & DINNER AT THE LOWNDES BAR & KITCHEN || A BEAUTIFUL AND MEMORABLE HOTEL || OUR STAY IN FEBRUARY 2016 || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

The location is ideal - just a few steps from the Pierre Herme Boutique and easy walking distance to Harrods and Harvey Nichols.

We arrived shortly before 8 PM at the hotel and were welcomed warmly and with a hot towel. Check in was quickly completed.

To our surprise we were upgraded from an Executive Room to an Executive Suite. The receptionist accompanied us to our suite and also provided us with important information about the hotel.

For example we could use the pool and fitness facilities of the Carlton Tower, if we wanted to.

Leading off the small, but elegant lobby was the entrance to the Lowndes Bar & Kitchen, where we had dinner (A review is going to follow). The hallway, leading to the elevators, had a residential feel. On an intricately designed table were magazines like Baku and Marie Claire waiting.

Floors could be only accessed by a swipe of the key card, so security was high, since the reception had to be passed first before even reaching the elevators.

After a short tour of our suite we were left alone.

We fell in love with the room immediately. It had views over the entrance and the neighboring buildings. It wasn't the largest suite and more like a junior suite. The open plan design worked well. The suite was detailed and felt like a home.

There was a large comfortable seating area, a table with Jumeirah, London Where, Woman & Home and Home & Garden Magazines.

The coffee table book was about the Jumeirah Carlton Tower and its famous guests over the past 50 years.

The Flat Screen TV was mounted to the wall and was swivable, so it could be watched from the sofa, the bed and the writing desk. There were over 90 channels available and all the necessary international ones, like Bloomberg and CNN.

The wardrobe contained some storage space, the safe and the mini bar, which was well stocked with our favorite Sunraysia Juices. Prices were as expected in a 5 star luxury establishment. Hildon water cost 3 GBP (ca. 4 Euro or 4.40 USD), Champagne was 35 GBP (ca. 45.50 Euro or 51.10 USD), beer 5 GBP (ca. 6.55 Euro or 7.30 USD), Jack Daniels and Johnny Walker, Gin and Vodka 7 GBP (ca. 9.15 Euro or 10.25 USD) and snacks from 2.50 GBP to 5 GBP (ca. 3.30 Euro to 6.55 Euro / ca. 3.65 USD to 7.30 USD). We snagged the Kinder Bueno. It was halal and tasted somewhat differently than the shop bought European version. It was imported from the United Arab Emirates.
There was also a Nespresso Coffee machine.

The large bed was extremely comfortable and we loved the headboard with a Scottish pipe print, which was unique.

The writing desk with a London map print was large and like the rest of the furniture made from dark wood. We also found the "Concierge Chronicle" there. The head concierges of the Carlton Tower and the Lowndes give recommendations what to do and what to see. For example Szymon Romanski of the Lowndes recommended the Chelsea & Belgravia Chocolate Tour, Kensington Palace, Salmontini and the Star Tavern.

We encountered Szymon in person, who is a clef d' or concierge. He was coincidently just a few weeks earlier on holiday in the Canary Islands. Szymon was friendly and warm and of course could answer our easy question without problems. Before dealing with us he was organizing transportation to Gatwick Airport for another guest.

Other details we liked were the very fast and reliable internet access, the deaf friendly phone and the key card holder and key cards. They had the Lowndes building printed on them.

The color scheme of the room was neutral.

We liked also the carpet design, which reminded us about Missoni, but it was brown and beige.

The artwork was modern and one was large and Celtic inspired.

The turn down service was every night between 19.00 and 20.00 hours. It included two bottles of water and a little gift. On the first night it was a Temple Spa lip balm, the other it was mint crisp chocolates. On the night before Valentine's Day Rococo chocolates were left in addition. There was also an accompanying letter from the General Manager Ian Richardson wishing a Happy Valentine's and also advising that the hotel had a high occupancy rate and that the breakfast at Lowndes Bar & Kitchen could be busy.

Back to the turn down: The bed was made up and mats and slippers provided.
In regards to changing sheets and towels, a disc was left on the bed and guests can choose what, if anything, needs to be changed.

We used the wakeup call and shoe shine service, which were punctual and our shoes looked like new.

The bathroom was medium sized with a sink, toilet, bidet, and bath tub/shower combination. We liked the photography of flowers, the Temple Spa amenities and the tile decoration.

We had in room breakfast each morning. We shared a Continental Breakfast and ordered in addition mixed berries, an egg white omelette with smoked salmon, tomatoes, peppers and onion, a French Toast with maple syrup and had green tea and a mixed berry smoothie. All was very delicious and beautifully presented. We liked the Thursday Cottage jams.
Tea was by Burchall and coffee by Caffe Torelli "Famously Italian".
We paid ca. 40 GBP (ca. 52.10 Euro / ca. 58.45 USD).

All the staff encountered was pleasant and efficient.

As always check out arrived too soon.

We would love to return again due to feeling welcomed and at home, the excellent location, comfort and details of the hotel and the excellent food.

Would we recommend this luxury hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to stay again at this luxury hotel in our future? YES! ^

Here are our videos we took during our stay at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, London, England, UK in February 2016:

Here are some of our images we took during our stay at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel, London, England, UK in February 2016:

|| JUMEIRAH LOWNDES HOTEL || LONDON || ENGLAND || UK || OUR STAY INCL. EXECUTIVE SUITE, IN-ROOM BREAKFAST & DINNER AT THE LOWNDES BAR & KITCHEN || A BEAUTIFUL AND MEMORABLE HOTEL || OUR STAY IN FEBRUARY 2016 || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

|| LOWNDES BAR AND KITCHEN || AT THE JUMEIRAH LOWNDES HOTEL || OUR DINNER || LONDON || ENGLAND || UK || WE ENJOYED OUR MEMORABLE DINNER AT THIS MODERN RESTAURANT || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || FEBRUARY 2016 || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

Here's our FT review link of our Dinner at the Lowndes Bar & Kitchen:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...l#post26791564

Thank you and safe travels.

Last edited by uggboy; Jun 17, 2016 at 7:06 am
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the review. From outside it looks a little bit like a GDR-plattenbau. Imagain you tell business-partners who aren´t family with hotels you stay at this house.... They do a fundraising! The "suite" seems to be really small, even for a Junior Suite. A no go is in my eyes the tub/ shower combo, but because of this I would avoid many hotels in London. What I like is thedesk in the map-design.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks for the review. From outside it looks a little bit like a GDR-plattenbau. Imagain you tell business-partners who aren´t family with hotels you stay at this house.... They do a fundraising! The "suite" seems to be really small, even for a Junior Suite. A no go is in my eyes the tub/ shower combo, but because of this I would avoid many hotels in London. What I like is thedesk in the map-design.
Thanks for your compliments offerendum. Yes, the suite was like a large room with sitting area, but the fittings are superb, the quality and overall feel of the Executive suite we received at the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel made us feel at "home" in London. In regards of the size, indeed it's smaller than what people would think a suite actually is, but again we felt well and the upgrade was highly appreciated by us. The Lowndes Hotel was opened in 1969 and I guess this fits in terms of "what was in" at the time in terms of architecture/space availability, the location of the hotel is wonderful within a few steps of Harvey Nichols, Harrods and the Tube. We liked actually the bathroom, but then a separate shower/bathtub combination isn't a "must" for us. London is a fascinating city and offers a lot of superb hotel possibilities and the Jumeirah Lowndes is one of them, a memorable one. We would want to stay with them in our future again. Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
It might just be me but from the outside it looks like a council estate! Not feeling the vibe of the rooms either (what is up with that carpet) but sometimes pictures can mislead.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by offerendum
Originally Posted by Zephyrous
It might just be me but from the outside it looks like a council estate! Not feeling the vibe of the rooms either (what is up with that carpet) but sometimes pictures can mislead.
+1

Wasn't this Hyatt in some previous life ?? Think stayed like >40 years ago if this was a Hyatt ..
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
Actually we found that the interiors go well together, they feel fresh and modern while the exterior comes from 1969 and can't hardly be changed now, but the location is awesome IMHO and service was memorable/wonderful.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
+1

Wasn't this Hyatt in some previous life ?? Think stayed like >40 years ago if this was a Hyatt ..
Yes, the Jumeirah Lowndes Hotel was in a previous life a Hyatt, but it's very different now as it was fully renovated recently to a high standard which actually befits the 21st century and the Jumeirah brand.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:45 pm

Enjoyed your review, thanks. One of those bathrooms that can lead to marital problems -- countertop real estate is valuable, a second sink useful and a tub/shower combo, oh well. The Temple Spa stuff gave me an allergy when I tried it on the EK A380 in the shower.

Last edited by scented; Jun 15, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an email from the Corinthia that they are doing a 25% off deal for stays this summer, don't remember when the offer starts and ends.

This is worse than their usual 30% or so discount offered early in the year but if you are planning on being there anyway, it might be worth a look.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by scented
Enjoyed your review, thanks. One of those bathrooms that can lead to marital problems -- countertop real estate is valuable, a second sink useful and a tub/shower combo, oh well. The Temple Spa stuff gave me an allergy when I tried it on the EK A380 in the shower.
Thanks for your compliments scented. We enjoyed our stay at the Jumeirah Lowndes and this incl. The Temple Spa products, sorry to hear that you'd allergic reactions while using their products. Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Jun 16, 2016 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by scented
Me, too - Temple Spa products are, IMHO, junk. Lots of chemicals.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:57 pm

Stayed at the Savoy for eight nights last fall. It was fine. The best location. We walked everywhere. The breakfast was great, also. The room was great, the staff, fabulous. There were no coffee or tea facilities in the room, but once requested, they provided coffee and tea maker, and replenished coffee and tea daily. They did bill us incorrectly, but that was resolved. We found a promo on line for stay three nights, get one free, and it worked well. I would return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.