Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Yes, having the little kitchen and washer/dryer is really nice in a luxury hotel. We had come from a week in Paris and it enabled us to pack lighter knowing we could wash some of our clothes there.

On another note, this hotel had a couple of really great concierges who truly went out of there way for us.

Lastly, the tariffs here at that time were well below what the competition was charging. I don't know if that still holds but it was a relative bargain.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Just exploring my options further, what is the consensus here on Dorchester and Goring?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Just exploring my options further, what is the consensus here on Dorchester and Goring?
I have never stayed in The Goring, but I've stayed in The Dorchester a few times and wasn't overly impressed, to the point I've not been there now in about 2 years. It felt too much like staying in The Ritz, in that it's a famous hotel living off its reputation. There are so many better hotels nearby, including 45 Park Lane, which is literally next door. I did meet Fabio Capello at the bar though, which was my claim to fame for about 3 seconds. On a side note, Alain Ducasse's restaurant having 3 Michelin stars is an absolute joke; it is in no way worthy of that status.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jumeirah's london apartments opened in 2012

apartment at hotel 41 >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post11149335

firmdale has apartments including at their older properties

stay at 45 park lane, visit dorchester, put dorchester charges on room at 45 park lane

http://www.taj51buckinghamgate.co.uk/Suites-residences
http://www.tajhotels.com/luxury/city...modations.html
seems like >
1982 taj / tata acquires st james court

2000 Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites & Residences

1999 Crowne Plaza London St James (franchise)
2014 St James Court a Taj Hotel (after franchise)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 17, 2016 at 9:29 am
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:26 pm

The Goring is very specific. Quintessentially English. Many people either love or hate it but most respect it for what it is. I felt service was not quite up to snuff, compared to other London powerhouses. The Royal Suite has a cult following, including many celebrities, royals (as they name suggests in this case) and, interestingly, the GM of a Bangkok Grande Dame. @:-)
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply. One thing I like about this property is that it's one of the very few that often apartment style living like a kitchen and a washing machine. Great for long stay.

So those old "grim" suites do exist. Guess I better ensure I get a renovated suite then. On the contrary, my stay at the Rosewood was a nightmare. You cannot pay me to stay there again.
Could you expand on the Rosewood?
I truly love their bar (Scarfes) and am quite curious about the rest of the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
Could you expand on the Rosewood?
I truly love their bar (Scarfes) and am quite curious about the rest of the hotel.
The Rosewood creeps me out. Perhaps it's a personal taste thing. You can read about it here :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:36 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Back from an excellent four night stay at an Ambassador Suite at the FS Park Lane and I can highly recommend it. Had a few conversations with the GM as well, and I can see why this property runs as well as it does.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
The Rosewood creeps me out. Perhaps it's a personal taste thing. You can read about it here :

Very right in your conclusions. London has plenty of old style hotels that creep me out. The Rosewood wasn't supposed to be one of them. I either found the design cold or creepy depending on the room. The restaurant is quite nice though and I enjoyed it but I now stay elsewhere: mainly at the Halkin, the Milestone hotel or the Charlotte Street hotel. When rates are good, I always opt for the London Edition Deluxe Room but rates are very often too pricey for me.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:41 am

Just came back from a one night stay at the Rosewood and I am firmly on the fence on this one. I agree with some of Benlee's comments - it IS dark and brooding looking and the lighting is a neither intuitive nor bright enough. As well, details could have been better by way of servicing the rooms - ran out of toilet paper, couldn't find any facial tissues - things that shouldn't happen in a luxury hotel.

Still, I love the neighborhood - which is certainly a personal taste thing - and found the lobby gorgeous and staff members eager and friendly. I got a one category upgrade to a junior suite, which, upon reflection I should have turned down: the "suite" section was a painfully small sitting area in a corner that was too dark and unwelcoming, so I never set foot in it. The windows were also small and the tub/shower very high and looking for trouble for the not sure of foot. Still, the bed was comfortable and the location in the back blissfully quiet.

Overall, I think that the rooms seem to vary considerably here and, with the right one, I might have really loved it. I do plan to go back and try one of the full suites mentioned in other posts, but only after carefully reviewing the details.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Having lived there for 3 years, and traveling there a lot before and after, I still don't find a stand out hotel. My favorites are the Connaught ( jr suite or above at minimum) and the Berkeley ( deluxe jr suite or above). Have tried almost everything else ( not the Shangri-La or the Rosewood) but just have not found one I just love! The two I mention ate the closest for me, but you have to get the right rooms! Just my personal opinion btw!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Larkin
Having lived there for 3 years, and traveling there a lot before and after, I still don't find a stand out hotel. My favorites are the Connaught ( jr suite or above at minimum) and the Berkeley ( deluxe jr suite or above). Have tried almost everything else ( not the Shangri-La or the Rosewood) but just have not found one I just love! The two I mention ate the closest for me, but you have to get the right rooms! Just my personal opinion btw!
I'd agree with your 2 choices as the best in London. Shangri-La has a wonderful hard product, but their service was a real let down; interestingly Rosewood's Director of Rooms is moving to The Connaught next month to replace the outgoing DoR. What do you feel The Connaught is missing?

As a great surprise to everyone, we're in The Connaught right now, enjoying a fine Easter in their Terrace Suite. Shame the weather isn't better, but the suite is a delight: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57666263099282
Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I'd agree with your 2 choices as the best in London. Shangri-La has a wonderful hard product, but their service was a real let down; interestingly Rosewood's Director of Rooms is moving to The Connaught next month to replace the outgoing DoR. What do you feel The Connaught is missing?

As a great surprise to everyone, we're in The Connaught right now, enjoying a fine Easter in their Terrace Suite. Shame the weather isn't better, but the suite is a delight: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57666263099282
The suite! The amenities! The treats! What bliss. Enjoy!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
rosewood

I love the Rosewood (and the Spa) and it was my preferred hotel for clients and employees (I did a site visit when it first opened - what a change from the Renaissance) as it is an easy walk into the city or to the West End. I liked that even the basic room with high ceilings felt massive compared to my normal London rooms.

I agree the light switches in room were a PIA and called front desk about bedside one only to be shown procedure. The bar and restaurant were great on my visits.

I have my review on philatravelgirl blog

My normal happy place is Firmdale - Soho Hotel and Charlotte Street so the Rosewood is a good chance plus Virtuoso benefits
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by MacMyDay

Good question, " what is the Connaught missing"? Can't put my finger on it, maybe the rooms just inconsistent unless you go really high end, and I prefer the newer for some room types and older for others. We like only deluxe jr suite and above. Love the bar, love the location, service very good, but just not one of my favorite hotels in the world! Some cities I just find a hotel I love and stick to it. Haven't found that in London although Connaught closest thing! ( and I like Berkeley with right rooms). Would like to try Shangri la just for the sake of trying the views, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.