Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:34 am
Suspended

To sum it up: from a real luxury perspective (incl. crowd control), there are currently 3 hotels in London.

* Bulgari

* Savoy

* Ritz

Sorry to hear about the Lanesborough going down.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
To sum it up: from a real luxury perspective (incl. crowd control), there are currently 3 hotels in London.

* Bulgari

* Savoy

* Ritz

I will gladly pay a premium for FS Park Lane or The Connaught before I set foot in the Savoy or even go near the Ritz. Don't know about Bulgari but I have little desire to try it.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
(incl. crowd control)
A jacket doesn´t make someone high class - especially as they look like "Schweinchen Dick im Konfirmationsanzug"...... So "Jacket required" is no guarantee to hold unwanted persons (however the definition is) out. Advantage of Ritz is, that it´s relative inexpensive.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
A jacket doesn´t make someone high class - especially as they look like "Schweinchen Dick im Konfirmationsanzug"......
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:13 am

* Bulgari

* Savoy

* Ritz

Bvlgari YES
Savoy & Ritz NO WAY

You should add FSPL which is our 2nd favorite.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I will gladly pay a premium for FS Park Lane or The Connaught before I set foot in the Savoy or even go near the Ritz. Don't know about Bulgari but I have little desire to try it.
I agree with this. The Savoy continues to crawl with tourists in the public spaces, and the Ritz is just tired.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

* Bulgari

* Savoy

* Ritz
As a Londoner, I can say this post is simply wrong. I'm also not sure what crowd control there is at the Savoy and the Ritz in particular... The Bulgari keeps British people out, but that's because they typically don't hang out with the undesirables you get in Knightsbridge.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I am not sure why the Savoy is getting a lot of stick in this forum. I have stayed there twice and will be staying again this coming week. In both past two stays, the experience has been exemplary. Love the huge suites and the F&B and service.

In contrast, I just checked in to Rosewood London and it's awful, just plain downright awful No help with luggage on arrival. Booked arrival service but no in-room checked-in. No welcome amenity no letter. Room has no view at all, with white painted walls and wires dangling from the ceiling. Room is devoid of decoration or furniture. The hallways looks like a dungeon maze and so darkly lit that it feels like a haunted mansion. Took them like forever to bring up my luggage. Internet speed is slow to a crawl. Of course, the staff here is patronizing and condescending.

I cannot wait to leave. Lucky it's just for 2 days to try out. What a big mistake!

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 19, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I went yesterday and had a drink in the bar. Basically it looks the same, just much brighter. It looked very nice, crisp and new. After being humiliated at the Bulgari, I was too shy to ask to see a room.
You? Too shy? Surely not! It is the rooms and suites that have benefited most from the refurbishment - that and the restaurant. Really great food. Best I have ever seen this hotel.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:42 am

For us 45 Park Lane is still our hotel of choice in London. The Park Lane suites are fantastic, the food at CUT is outstanding and the service is flawless. We won't stay anywhere else in London... although I have to admit to being tempted by the newly reopened Lanesborough. Any been yet or got some pictures they could share?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
You? Too shy? Surely not! It is the rooms and suites that have benefited most from the refurbishment - that and the restaurant. Really great food. Best I have ever seen this hotel.
Do they have a pool now? And how is the Spa?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Do they have a pool now? And how is the Spa?
There is no pool, which seems a wasted opportunity.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold

* Bulgari

* Savoy

* Ritz

I actually stayed at the Ritz in London for two full weeks in 2012. I thought the Ritz was very stiff and uptight. All this would have been fine if the hotel was really good, but unfortunately it was not.

It was almost like the Ritz thought they were running a luxury hotel, but weren't actually doing so.

This is the review I did of the Ritz on Flyertalk at the time. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...tz-london.html I doubt that very much has changed since 2012, because it seemed as though little had changed since 1905.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I just dropped by at the Lanesborough today, which has just completed a multi-million 18 mths renovation. I was shown a few rooms and suites and end the visit with a lunch at hotel's restaurant Celeste. Here are the pic set of the hotel in flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benlee...57656140057270

Sorry, no time to do captions.

Some quick observations

1) The renovation and final touches are still going on. Not all the rooms and suites are ready. Target is August next month to finish.

2) Every room and suite is different, with their own color scheme and layout. It's very British and Classical, and done tastefully ( personal opinion of course ).

3) Lower floor rooms have high ceiling. Higher floor rooms have lower ceilings. The high ceiling rooms are more impressive.

4) The bathrooms are kind of small, even for suites. I guess they are not allowed to modify the building structure to expand the bathroom space.

5) All rooms upgraded with new state of the art touch panel electronics, televisions etc.

6) Security is rather tight at the hotel. I don't think it's a property you can just walk in and sit around unless you are a staying guest, got an appointment or a reservation at their bar or restaurant.

7) Tried the Celeste restaurant and find the food to be rather mediocre. Might be one of those start-up kinks.

8) Published rates for rooms start at GBP770 and GBP1500 for suites

Last edited by BENLEE; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:31 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:29 am

Thank you. Not to my tastes at all, but I'm sure will be quite nice for many others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.