Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The Lanesborough opened on the 2nd. Is any good hearted Flyertalker willing to stroll over and take pictures of the restaurants, rooms, and report back on the purported splendor?
trying to secure a suite as I write
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
trying to secure a suite as I write
When are you looking to go? I was planning to visit the weekend of the 18th
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
When are you looking to go? I was planning to visit the weekend of the 18th
Going earlier than that.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:22 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Going earlier than that.

Going even earlier (or a remote chance at the same time) than that, whatever VOS means by "that." Of course I booked in February.

We'll be the group with the screaming, obnoxious, no good kids running amok. Or I hope that's not the case!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:32 pm

I'll be interested to hear what you think. Their new rates put them in the top 2 (next to the Bulgari) for the most expensive base room in London. Paris would be proud of those rates.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Client headed there as we speak. I've threatened him - quite severely - that if he doesn't take pictures, we're done!!

EDIT: he beat me to it two posts above mine.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:43 pm

It looks like I may be the only dissenting opinion on the Savoy. We just returned from spending five nights at the Savoy and loved it. We found the room amenities very nice and loved all of the public spaces, especially the Beaufort Bar. The concierges also were very helpful. Location is excellent.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by wijnands
Not sure if an answer is still required but I really enjoyed the Melia Whitehouse last time I was in that neighbourhood. Possibly not quite high end enough, on the other hand I found it high end enough to be highly enjoyable and not so much that it was stuffy and oppressive.
It has some nice features, but unless you upgrade, you'll get a tiny room. Some staff members are incompetent (I was told that there is no place at all to eat at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night; not true, only a mile or so away there are a zillion Middle Eastern places open on Edgware Road). And you really have to want to be in north London.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:49 am
Suspended

Hi, doc04
The Savoy Hotel was immense too & a pleasant place to stay if in London.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Lanesborough reopen...

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The Lanesborough opened on the 2nd. Is any good hearted Flyertalker willing to stroll over and take pictures of the restaurants, rooms, and report back on the purported splendor?
I went yesterday and had a drink in the bar. Basically it looks the same, just much brighter. It looked very nice, crisp and new. After being humiliated at the Bulgari, I was too shy to ask to see a room.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I went yesterday and had a drink in the bar. Basically it looks the same, just much brighter. It looked very nice, crisp and new. After being humiliated at the Bulgari, I was too shy to ask to see a room.
What happened at Bulgari?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:52 am

We were at the Bvlgari less than a month ago after a long time. It's better than ever. I know Mike didn't like it but it's our preferred hotel among all the properties we stayed at (Savoy, Connaught, Four Seasons Park Lane, Dorchester, Lannesborough, Corinthia) .
The Spa, the swimming pool, the private cinema and the ballroom, the butlers, the service, the location, I like everything about this place.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
The Spa, the swimming pool, the private cinema and the ballroom, the butlers, the service, the location, I like everything about this place.
...except the price. Once it started hitting £900/n for a base room it started being hard to justify. Great hotel though, as you say. I particularly like the hydrotherapy area down by the pool.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
What happened at Bulgari?
Hated it. A disastrous stay. I remain puzzled by the good reviews here.
Mike at Bulgari London
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
From my notes on Bvlgari London (3 nights, Oct14)

- Started bad (and got worse): Bell team total missed my approach entirely. Both dudes were flirting with a woman in a Porsche SUV (an overpowered tank for soccer moms, but that is a different discussion board). I was hauling about 110 lbs of luggage from the Knightsbridge station and you could see me approach from about 2 blocks away. I was painfully through the double doors and nearly to the reception desk on the right before they finally woke up and offered to help. By then I didn't need it ... Later in the stay I asked a bell boy how to get to Zuma. He didn't know. I guess that was a hard question, since Zuma is nearly 100ft away and might actually share a wall with the hotel.

- Multiple service issues: Coffee served lukewarm with no milk or cream. Bar service was glacial. Room serviced twice at awkward times, forcing me to sit in the hall waiting for them to finish. Papers not delivered to room. Turndown(s) missed entirely. No bottle opener in room. Utensils not replaced, so I cleaned them myself and reused. Bed was made so tightly I couldn't get under the sheets.

- Food was weak. Fancy restaurant downstairs had bizarre menu options and was largely, bad. And apparently you have to order 300 small dishes to get a full meal. I left hungry and raided the minibar. BK was OK.

- Physical plant (ugh!): Shower temperature knob was broken. I only got very hot water. I had to dodge in and out of the spray to keep from getting burned. This was fixed promptly. Toilet simply did not work and this was unfixable. I mean did not work at ALL. In a desperate attempt to fit the boudoir and the toilet in the space provided and have a door that closes, they used special toilets that are significantly smaller than normal. So the mess doesn't even end up in the toilet. And once I did get it there, it took 3-5 flushes to make it go away. Every beautiful faucet had a different way to operate, making washing my hands an IQ test. 220V sockets not functional under desk.

- My stay was capped off with a memorably disastrous visit to the Spa. Based on your effusive praise, I figured I should go down and see what it was about. I got to the door and asked for a tour. And the Spa manager treated me as poorly as I can ever remember in my adult life. The answer wasn't just 'no'. It was "F**K NO!!!! YOU WILL NOT SOIL MY SPA WITH YOUR PRESENCE." I guess she thought I was a homeless guy who wandered in off the street and wanted a facial. I produced my key to the room and asked "Can I take my shoes off and at least peer in?" "NO!" I left and went back to the room. I complained to the front desk when I checked out, but nothing came of it.

The whole place is form over function. It is pretty, but it doesn't work. At all. I hated it. I will never return ... I'll go back to the Lanesborough when it reopens or FSPL. At least I get treated as if I'm an adult.
How awful. I think I will not bother to try Bulgari and continue to stay at FSPL and the Connaught. Even if others do like this hotel, I am not willing to take a gamble when I know I will be happy elsewhere.

I am shocked that the spa manager spoke to you in a hostile and rude manner.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.