Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:40 pm

Thanks for sharing these photos of the Lanesborough. It looks like the renovations have been completed to the highest possible standard. Ordinarily I wouldn't say that's the type of property that I go for but it looks so good I'm considering getting my TA to make us a booking. Sure, the rooms are smaller than I'm used to and the rates are incredibly high but I definitely would like to try it.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:50 am

A fairly negative review of the new Lanesborough in today's Daily Telegraph -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ho...ive-hotel.html

The writer, Fiona Duncan, appreciates the quality of the renovation but questions the dubious and rather oppressive taste - a return to chintz with the sort of swatches and swags that I thought went out in the 1990s. It does look terribly time-warpy to me but I guess they know their market. Not me, though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by Pausanias

The writer, Fiona Duncan, appreciates the quality of the renovation but questions the dubious and rather oppressive taste - a return to chintz with the sort of swatches and swags that I thought went out in the 1990s. It does look terribly time-warpy to me but I guess they know their market. Not me, though.
Her review is quite accurate although her indifference to the decor and style of the hotel is largely a matter of personal taste. That this hotel has a very upscale ( and uptight ) feeling and ambience is evident even during my short visit. Service will have to be good at this price point and any staying guest would expect no less. I disagree on her assessment that the food is good having tried the Celeste. I think it can be much improved.

Last edited by BENLEE; Aug 1, 2015 at 4:46 am
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Service will have to be good at this price point
Don´t think "good" would be enough
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The Laslett looks lovely.
http://www.living-rooms.co.uk/hotel/the-laslett/gallery

Has anyone already stayed at this property?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The Laslett looks lovely.
http://www.living-rooms.co.uk/hotel/the-laslett/gallery

Has anyone already stayed at this property?
Tiny rooms go from 16sqmt to 34sqmt for what they call their "master bedroom suite." The decor in the photos in the gallery you linked to reminds me of Ikea. I am thinking this is not even an upscale hotel.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Tiny rooms go from 16sqmt to 34sqmt for what they call their "master bedroom suite." The decor in the photos in the gallery you linked to reminds me of Ikea. I am thinking this is not even an upscale hotel.
Actually one needs to see the hotel to have an actual feel of the material and quality of decor. Pictures can be so deceiving at times because they are photoshop to look good, unless they are well taken travelers's pictures. My recent experience with Rosewood London brings that to mind.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
It's not about room sizes at such a particular "niche" hotel, it's about the details. Luxury has moved on in many ways for many people, it's beyond space, it's about individuality and fresh ideas, as I wrote a few times before, IMHO luxury is personal, this could mean very different things to very different people. Overall, it has to be applauded that such hotels incl. the Laslett opening up, plus it's a member of SLH. There's demand, it's the 21st century.

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Actually one needs to see the hotel to have an actual feel of the material and quality of decor. Pictures can be so deceiving at times because they are photoshop to look good, unless they are well taken travelers's pictures. My recent experience with Rosewood London brings that to mind.
Well said. ^

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 17, 2015 at 7:51 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same poster
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by uggboy
It's not about room sizes at such a particular "niche" hotel, it's about the details. Luxury has moved on in many ways for many people, it's beyond space, it's about individuality and fresh ideas, as I wrote a few times before, IMHO luxury is personal, this could mean very different things to very different people. Overall, it has to be applauded that such hotels incl. the Laslett opening up, plus it's a member of SLH. There's demand, it's the 21st century.
OK, OK no general objection. But a 16 sqm room and a 30-34 sqm suite (2 rooms) can´t be proper. Judging from pictures the furniture (excemption the tub and bear) is also not my style, but that´s (like everything) personal taste. Doesn´t say it´s cheap......
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Ikea?!?
Vitra's Jean Prouvé chairs
http://www.vitra.com/en-gb/product/s...ubfam.id=38446

You should definitely revise your design classics...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:52 pm

I stayed in The Connaught's Library Suite last week with my partner, her sister and two children. To summarise it succinctly, her sister cried of happiness when she saw the room. I think that speaks higher than any review I could give.

Main entrance

Hall bathroom

Master bedroom

Master bedroom

Library/living room

Library/living room

Library ceiling

Second bedroom

Connaught teddy

Door to master bedroom

Door to master bedroom
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Hey, that´s a nice suite! Perhaps I would cry when I see the bill but it´s definitively something Special. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:48 am

I love it!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Wow, that's lovely, and nowhere near as chintzy/stuffy as I expected from the Connaught. For some reason, I think of it as being "old school" London luxury, but that actually looks quite contemporary.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias

Why is it that every UK journalist appears to have written snide reviews of The Lanesborough, mostly concentrating on the price of the suites?

The Telegraph review seems to expect a pared down modern look. Why? This is a Georgian building. It fits. It may not be to everyone's taste, but that is OK. There are plenty of pared down modern hotels in London to choose from.

Makes me cross.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.