Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 6:50 am
Suspended

Wow...killer photo!!!
Old May 17, 2015, 2:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thank you, it's a great place to stay. I would say it is better than Hyatt on the Bund. Even though the Hyatt is on the right side of the Bund, the FS hotel itself, service, breakfast, and intimacy beat the Hyatt by a mile. Although technically the Hyatt is on the outer perimeter of the 'right' side of the Bund, so your view of the Bund isn't that good.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 17, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old May 17, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Going to be in Beijing over Memorial Day weekend in the States. Anyone have any thoughts on the FS vs the Rosewood? I am currently booked at the FS on a fantastic Second Night Free rate in a suite with Executive Club privileges, but I am sorely tempted by the brand new Rosewood. The Rosewood would be more expensive overall and for an entry level room, but it would come with full breakfast (including room service), airport pickup, and 24-hr check in/check out (like SPG My24) which given my schedule would actually be useful. Also perhaps a slightly better location. Thoughts?
Old May 17, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by agp423
Thank you, it's a great place to stay. I would say it is better than Hyatt on the Bund. Even though the Hyatt is on the right side of the Bund, the FS hotel itself, service, breakfast, and intimacy beat the Hyatt by a mile. Although technically the Hyatt is on the outer perimeter of the 'right' side of the Bund, so your view of the Bund isn't that good.
What about compared to the Andaz? Planning another trip to PVG later this year. On my last trip to PVG, I stayed at the Andaz and loved, loved, loved it. Location is awesome (I really liked XinTianDi), staff were the perfect mix of friendly, helpful and unobtrusive, and the rooms are beautiful. Free minibar and happy hour. But based on your recent report, the FS also looks equally fabulous. Is it worth being on the PuDong side of the river and giving up Hyatt points? I am also considering Twelve at Hengshan and the Pen.

Last edited by flyingeph12; May 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Of course the FS is better than the Hyatt, but your room is probably 50 floors higher at the Hyatt. Thus a completely different, and great view. I think I was on the 78th floor when I stayed there.

flyingeph12, regarding Beijing, after staying at the Rosewood London, where the rooms are much better than the FS London, I would certainly try out the Rosewood Beijing.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
What about compared to the Andaz? Planning another trip to PVG later this year. On my last trip to PVG, I stayed at the Andaz and loved, loved, loved it. Location is awesome (I really liked XinTianDi), staff were the perfect mix of friendly, helpful and unobtrusive, and the rooms are beautiful. Free minibar and happy hour. But based on your recent report, the FS also looks equally fabulous. Is it worth being on the PuDong side of the river and giving up Hyatt points? I am also considering Twelve at Hengshan and the Pen.
I have never stayed at the Andaz. XTD is a good area though with some nightlife and bar scene, although it's catered to westerners as much as locals. I have no loyalty to Hyatt or any other chains, so I do not care for the points. Maybe I'm biased towards Hilton since I get free breakfast for being a gold, but they don't have a dog in the fight here.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Of course the FS is better than the Hyatt, but your room is probably 50 floors higher at the Hyatt. Thus a completely different, and great view. I think I was on the 78th floor when I stayed there.
You must not go to Shanghai often, or you are just very lucky, if you think staying on a higher floor is a good thing. Here is why: SH does not have the best air quality, and you'll see smog covering the sky many days of the month. That combined with the geographic area, depending on the time of year you go, you'll have days of cloud and fog as well. This leaves a very few clear, sunny days.

If you stay at the Hyatt on the Bund, you're SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of all the smog and the clouds. You won't be able to see a thing unless the weather is clear. If you stay at the Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt, you'll be above the clouds, which is cool, but you still can't see much unless it's a perfectly clear day. If you're at the FS, you're below the clouds, fog, and smog, so even there is "wu mai", you can still see the Bund. "Wu mai" being what Chinese people call the smoggy/foggy day, literal translation being "smoggy haze".

I have some camera phone pics of the FS view on smoggy days - it's very similar to clear days, except you get a gradient of blur on top. Doesn't affect much of the view though. I have a similar photo taken from the PH. The view is just a blank canvas.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 18, 2015 at 3:35 am
Old May 18, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must not go to Shanghai often, or you are just very lucky, if you think staying on a higher floor is a good thing.
Yes I have been lucky, even in Beijing. But the picture you included above is at night. And even with smog you can see the lights of the city at night. And I said it was a "different" view. Not a better view. It's good to try both.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Here's not at night with smog.

This is the view from the PH 81st floor.

I'm not saying the view from the PH is bad... I'm just saying most of the time, you won't see much.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 18, 2015 at 4:57 am
Old May 18, 2015, 5:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

One more picture to show my point. The PH building is on the left, GH on the right.

Old May 18, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Re: Shanghai - is the PH the best place to see the 'stereotypical cloud view', i.e. the one where you see the TOPS of buildings peeking out from the clouds? Is there a way the public can see this without staying at the PH?

Anyway, back to 'where are you going next'...

1. Seoul
2. Shanghai

Although, not sure which I should spend more time in.

Nights of Sept 2 - Sept 8 available. Thinking 2.5 days in Seoul and 3.5 in Shanghai..
Old May 18, 2015, 7:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Re: Shanghai - is the PH the best place to see the 'stereotypical cloud view', i.e. the one where you see the TOPS of buildings peeking out from the clouds? Is there a way the public can see this without staying at the PH?
Yes. But the observation decks in the SWFC is higher than the PH. Also note that there are only four buildings (including the one you're in) that go above the clouds. The four being SWFC (PH), Jin Mao (GH), Shanghai Tower, and Oriental Pearl. Shanghai Tower is still under construction on the inside.

This is the view from the PH.

Old May 18, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the view at the GH (not PH) that I was referring to.

Old May 18, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by deathscar
Two very contrasting styles there!

I had a fantastic stay at Six Senses Laamu in January.
I know, right? While Maalifushi is more family oriented, I think when you're on the water villas at any of these properties you can avoid the families. Having a pool on the villa helps!
Old May 24, 2015, 8:18 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeAman 10+ Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
June / July : Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat ' Saisons , OX , England
The Halkin , London

August : Amankila , Amanusa .. Puri

October : Amanruya , ( FS Bosphorus ) moving to PH Istanbul Mackas Palace

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 15, 2015 at 5:08 pm Reason: Hotel changes
Old May 24, 2015, 9:26 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Just shored up a trip to Amankora, Amantaka and Amansara! Should be awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.