Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uggboy
Thanks for this rather interesting info, any links to news items for more insight/sources?
If you google around you can see articles like this one....

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...xcelsior-hotel
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you google around you can see articles like this one....

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...xcelsior-hotel
Thanks for the link, I was surprised to learn that it would take 3/4 years to tear the hotel down and from there develop something new. Sounds nearly "prohibitive" in some ways, seeing the cost and time involved. Interesting also that the hotel is now 42 years of age.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
You guys may not have noticed the news a month or so ago but they are tearing down the Excelsior. With the decline in tourism recently, and declining room rates at this hotel, the location is now worth much more as a commercial development than a hotel. I don't know when the hotel will close, as it may take a year for them to sort out all the plans. And the teardown could take years itself.

On the positive side, the views will all of a sudden get better at the Park Lane hotel once they've torn down most of the Excelsior.
Anothr luxury, expensive mall + LMO2? lol
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:27 am

Later this year I'll be at the Labadi Beach Hotel in Accra, Ghana, and also the Bom Bom Island Resort on Sao Tome and Principe. The latter is a new place for me. I stayed at the Labadi way back in 1993 and count Ghana as one of my all-time great destinations. I'm shocked by the room rates at the Labadi!

This week, though, a night at one of my favourite pubs, The Packhorse Inn at Moulton, Suffolk.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Good that you are !
However , so as not to spoil your start .. For HK you should change it to LMO or MOHK . Excelsior doesn't cut it , it is not really ' MO ' .
I know, but my corporate discount only works at the Excelsior... if they change it next year to one of the other two MO, I will definitely check it out.

As of Shanghai, and I know there's another thread on it, but is the MO better than the FS? I love the pearl view room at the FS and its proximity to the subway station. The MO is more expensive (so it must be better in some ways), but it is far from the LJZ subway station, and really has no view of the exciting bits of the skyline. What gives the MO the advantage over the FS?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kyoto - Ritz Carlton. Let's see if it lives up to the Tokyo like pricing.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:36 am

Location: Belfast, N.Ireland. I'm also username WEEBOBBY (350+ posts), depending on whether I log in through Facebook or email.
Programs: Various - IHG Royal Ambassador, Starwood, DavidO fanclub etc
From June 23rd over from Ireland to Miami beach 4 nights (undecided - thinking The Edition ? - Help!! ) and going to try our first cruise on the Norwegian Getaway out of Miami.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks stimpy

Originally Posted by uggboy
The Excelsior (Chinese: 怡東酒店) is a hotel located at Lot No.1 (280-282 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong), which was the first plot of land sold at auction after Hong Kong became a British Colony in 1841.
always interesting history. speaking of >
http://m.hshgroup.com/en/About-Hongk...1866-1900.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lan...28Hong_Kong%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Hotel
peninsula originally owned LMO site
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ahwahnee, Yosemite National Park
Intercontinental Marseilles
Domaine de la Baume, Tourtour, France
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Just got back from:
Chatham Bars Inn
Wequassett.

My next trip is Buenos Aires:
Four Seasons
Alvear Palace
Alvear Art
Faena

I will likely also do a couple of site inspections - Algodon Mansion and Hub Porteno, but that is still TBD.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Kyoto - Ritz Carlton. Let's see if it lives up to the Tokyo like pricing.
It's not great.

Was there last month very beautiful hotel but my god the service was awful!

They missed a bag from our taxi and it was huge! Dinner was good and overall much more expensive than Tokyo - we preferred the peninsula in Tokyo
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m3red
It's not great.

Was there last month very beautiful hotel but my god the service was awful!

They missed a bag from our taxi and it was huge! Dinner was good and overall much more expensive than Tokyo - we preferred the peninsula in Tokyo
They must have been incompetent because Japanese taxis don't even rush off! They usually wait until the customer has cleared then drive away. WOW.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Mrs. eba205 and I are heading to Italy for 11 nights in early July. DavidO has us set up for 1 night at Hotel Romeo in Naples (only because we arrive late), 4 nights in a cliff side junior suite at Caesar Augustus on Capri, 4 nights at Il San Pietro di Positano in Positano and 2 nights at Portrait Suites in Rome. Would love any restaurant or general "to do" recs for any of these places.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by eba205
Mrs. eba205 and I are heading to Italy for 11 nights in early July. DavidO has us set up for 1 night at Hotel Romeo in Naples (only because we arrive late), 4 nights in a cliff side junior suite at Caesar Augustus on Capri, 4 nights at Il San Pietro di Positano in Positano and 2 nights at Portrait Suites in Rome. Would love any restaurant or general "to do" recs for any of these places.
As for Capri and Positano, you can't help but find good restaurants just by walking around. But Rome is a big city so it's good to have a recommendation. Mine is http://www.quinziegabrieli.it/ as the best seafood restaurant in Rome IMHO.

The thing to keep in mind though is you are going during high tourist season. So you will likely be eating with other tourists. If you go to Rome in the winter the scene is quite different.

If you haven't booked your trip from Capri to Positano I strongly recommend a private boat, preferably a good sized sailboat where you can casually cruise over and arrive just after sunset. It will be one of the most beautiful approaches to land that you've ever seen.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Como's Cocoa Island in the Maldives next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.