Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ngfan
Just arrived at Amanjiwo. Did I say that it is an absolutely stunning resort. Even after having stayed at or visited 12 other Amans, this is simply an exceptional experience !
Pictures of the resort look amazing! Was it difficult to get to?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
It was easy to reach from JOG (1h15 min), on the return I rebooked my flight though and changed to Solo City to return to CGK due to weather related flight delays into JOG in the afternoons. Boy, that was a great decision: the trip to Solo on the scenic route (2h40min to Solo Airport) is the most beautiful and adventurous road trip I have ever taken, and I haven taken quite a few so far...It runs in between the two vulcanos Mt. Merapi and Merbabu along rice fields and green farmland with sun, clouds and rain changing in minutes. The narrow road can be rough at times due to rain damage though, a must trip still IMHO as it is a great (and complimentary) excursion tour in itself. Afternoon weather seems to be much better in SOC than in JOG.

Thankfully I received a triple upgrade into a Borobodur Pool Suite with the same prime location as described by bhrubin above (thanks, DavidO and Ian )

Overall (even without the very generous upg), with its architecture, style, scenery, great care and service of the mature and genuinely friendly staff with great GM Ian W at its helm, low occupancy, the absolutely wonderful food (i.e. best crepes ever!) and the mystical Borobodur dawn tour (with Didit as our very knowledgeable guide and driver) this is Aman at its best and a true gem. No doubt about it. I am thankful to Adrian Z, Ed Tuttle, the Richlis, Sean F, Ian W, the marvelous staff and whoever took part in creating such a wonderful place over the last 18 years that blends so well into those beautiful surroundings.

In my book (and with only a few contenders), Amanjiwo is the most beautiful and stunning resort in the world.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ngfan
In my book (and with only a few contenders), Amanjiwo is the most beautiful and stunning resort in the world.
^

I so can't wait for my next chance to return.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,Stars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite, Hyatt Prive
April

FS Beijing, both FS properties in Shanghai, FS Hangzhou, and FS Hong Kong

It is my first trip to China. Imperial Tours put together a great itinerary and I couldn't be more excited!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:41 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Fitstylist5
April

It is my first trip to China. Imperial Tours put together a great itinerary and I couldn't be more excited!
Not that I've been, but think you're missing out by not staying at Aman at Summer Palace and Amanfayun (definitely the latter, which I have been to). The FS in both both look a little soulless to me.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
July

- The Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
- Scots Hotel (Tiberias, Israel)
- Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet
- Amanruya

August

- The Peninsula Shanghai
- Park Hyatt Seoul
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:54 am

ngfan, wow, thanks, that drive to Solo sounds like a must do!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deathscar
Not that I've been, but think you're missing out by not staying at Aman at Summer Palace and Amanfayun (definitely the latter, which I have been to). The FS in both both look a little soulless to me.
They are!

Amanfayun is SO much better than FS Hangzhou which is lovely on the outside, but mind numbingly corporate on the inside.

In Beijing, I would now opt for the new Rosewood.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
April

Enjoy.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
They are!

Amanfayun is SO much better than FS Hangzhou which is lovely on the outside, but mind numbingly corporate on the inside.

In Beijing, I would now opt for the new Rosewood.
I would also second that while I love Amans, Aman Summer Palace may not necessarily be the place to stay in Beijing--unless being on the outskirts of town or near the Summer Palace is important. The Aman Summer Palace doesn't quite provide the Aman serenity in the same way as its more remote locations. FWIW, I think the city of Beijing is soulless, so I'm not sure you give anything significant up by staying elsewhere. For the money, I'd stay at a property closer to the historic center if we were to return (which we'd avoid at all costs).
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso,Stars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite, Hyatt Prive
I appreciate all of the feedback! I probably should have mentioned that I 'won' the hotel stays through Four Seasons. The brand is promoting the 'China by Four Seasons' tagline, and as an independent advisor at a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agency, I have the opportunity to check out what they have to offer.

As I hope this is not my first and last visit to China, I look forward to someday exploring the other fine hotel options you all have suggested.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
April

Sounds like a good trip.

Agreed on the posts re Aman HZ. Worth considering a swap over the DFS.

The FS Beijing is fine, but is by no means a "wow" property, either. The FS in HKG will wow you, however.

I appreciate all of the feedback! I probably should have mentioned that I 'won' the hotel stays through Four Seasons. The brand is promoting the 'China by Four Seasons' tagline, and as an independent advisor at a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agency, I have the opportunity to check out what they have to offer.

As I hope this is not my first and last visit to China, I look forward to someday exploring the other fine hotel options you all have suggested.
Ah. That is different math. You'll enjoy your stay!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:57 pm Reason: Combine two consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Three Four Seasonses in June/July:

FS Toronto
FS Chicago
FS Boston
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:01 am

Forget Le Bristol, Como in the Maldives, Amananywhere. On Thursday I will be at the Crowne Plaza, Panama City. There, doesn't that make you all zealous?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Forget Le Bristol, Como in the Maldives, Amananywhere. On Thursday I will be at the Crowne Plaza, Panama City. There, doesn't that make you all zealous?
Trade you for the Ramada Plaza, Basel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.