Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by DSI
April : Galla , Wella

Thinking of Tea Trails before too but not sure which one to stay at .
Where else to consider

We stayed at Castlereagh Tea Trails and quite liked it. As some people have mentioned, there does seem to be a family across the lake that likes to listen to music, and if that sort of stuff bothers you, it might not be the best option. But the views are great. But their other houses are more closed off to local culture, and thus, quieter.

I don't think that the Aman hotels are the luxury/high end options anymore in Sri Lanka. Ani is of a much higher caliber, and even some of the boutiques seem like they may be able to offer just as much--if not more--at a fraction of the price.

I really, really enjoyed Chena Huts and after seeing the high density build of the Ceylon camp (sister of Tea Trails) it's a better option.
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
What does pricing look like at Ani Villas? And I imagine you cannot just rent one villa, right?
Originally Posted by DSI
It's more expensive than Aman, but it's a much higher-end experience. We haven't stayed at Amanwella, but compared to some of the Amans we've stayed: taka, sara, kora, bagh, there is just no comparison. The former are nice but Ani is just so much more inclusive and personal and service-oriented, with living spaces that are truly grand. The furnishings are not nearly as expensive as Iniala, but I doubt anywhere is.

The GM there is ex-Aman--and a really great guy--as are many of the staff from Amanwella.

We stayed at Villa Divia, so you don't need the entire estate.

I think that Aman represents a form of luxury travel that maybe was at the apex of things in the 80's-90's, but has been surpassed with the private villa movement.

Or at least that's based on my limited experience at places like Iniala, and seems analogous to when Gallivanters wrote "in those days, the travel media did not know or understand Amanresorts and we were often criticized for extolling the virtues of this fledging high-end group..." In the same way, I think that private villas represent the same generational leap, or at least that's my limited experience. It seems to be the experience of Macmyday based upon his Aman and Iniala comparisons.

I only wish I could afford to always travel in style, but alas, I can't! But hopefully we can splurge once per year.
Thanks for the information .
Haven't had time to recce Ani Villas . How do they compare with Puri / Nusa Villas ?
Who is the GM ?
Will help before I contact Filipe d L at Wella .

Hopefully Sean F will have settled in by mid April , & the humidity / temperatures will be bearable then .
Also cooler where Tea Trails are .. ??

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
If you like the nightlife, BKK is the place. KUL is less mad.
Originally Posted by surftb15
Better to spend 3 nights in BKK or kul before flying to Nairobi? Only ever spent 1 night at each.
When will this be ? Will you be returning to region any time ?
BKK if soon or towards end of year , very hot otherwise , & KUL mid year , hot too but less than BKK ?

Possibly BKK then KUL , toss up as Thailand has year of mourning ( though things seem ok , am in Phuket now )

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 3, 2017 at 3:59 pm Reason: iPad typos
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
When will this be ? Will you be returning to region any time ?
BKK if soon or towards end of year , very hot otherwise , & KUL mid year , hot too but less than BKK ?

Possibly BKK then KUL , toss up as Thailand has year of mourning ( though things seem ok , am in Phuket now )
June. It's only 3 nights so I just want to hunker down in one area.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
June. It's only 3 nights so I just want to hunker down in one area.
Think I ' d still go for BKK . Not sure how subdued things maybe by then .

Which ever you choose , will be interesting .
Different cultures altogether . Enjoy ..

Had to abort my various attempts for BKK , perhaps I ' d make it there before June ..
HKT is different being more a beachy / holiday destination
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:26 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Confirmed!

Amanoi, April 2-5
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks for the information .
Haven't had time to recce Ani Villas . How do they compare with Puri / Nusa Villas ?
Who is the GM ?
Will help before I contact Filipe d L at Wella .

Hopefully Sean F will have settled in by mid April , & the humidity / temperatures will be bearable then .
Also cooler where Tea Trails are .. ??

Thanks
They're a different kind of experience to Amanpuri/Amanusa since you rent out the entire estate - by that comparison, they're cheaper than Aman as they're all-inclusive. Ani Villas in Yao Noi is a 10-bedroom villa that goes for USD 10,000 or USD 15,000 I think, and pretty much includes anything you'd ever need. Amanpuri's villas rent for a lot more, with lot less included.

From the photos I've seen, I'm not a big fan of the design (but Ani Villas are definitely much nicer than Inialia's whacky interiors).

Having said that, there are tons of private villas all around Southeast Asia - varying in rates and offers. You can rent out a truly spectacular 5-bedroom in Phuket for USD 1,000/night, or less than what you'd pay at Amanpuri/Trisara in high-season.

@DSI, with respect, I think you're only thinking of the very highest end here (Iniala, Ani Villas) - in much the same way that something like North Island/Mnemba Island provide a more personalised experience than Amanpulo, by a simple factor of having less rooms/villas to take care of. To some extent, Ani Villas has managed to create a 'chain' of them, but a lot of the villas are owned/managed by a singular company too, often with varying experiences.

The private villa experience is very heavily reliant on finding the right kind of place - which is not always easily done. Theoretically, ANY 'private villa' experience should trump any villa experience at a resort - and not all of them do.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:29 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I don't disagree Chinmoylad in that I am talking about ultra high-end places. But isn't that the point of this forum, to talk about the world's best properties? I like to daydream and look at Ferraris online even though I don't plan on ever buying one. Most of the time I am stuck at consortium type hotels despite my protestations. Furthermore, I'm just fine with non-luxury places: I'm happy with the ultra high (Ani, Iniala), the high (Aman, Westin, Four Seasons) and the middle (Sheraton).

I know that you're not a fan of these villas per se, but there are at least two members on this forum who've been to Amans and been to private places and it's more than just a simple factor of a lower room count but an almost entirely different approach to hospitality. One is highly personal the other less so. I guess you'd just have to take the word of paying consumers who are saying that they are significantly nicer than Aman vs. looking on the website. I digress, but I don't find websites to be super instructive, hence, I come to this forum and use Tripadvisor. Initially I thought Iniala was too aggressive for my tastes online but went on the personal recommendation of Macmyday, so being able to rely on firsthand experience is crucial.

I think I understand your perspective. These places are too expensive to sell/aren't part of the virtuoso network so there's no additional amenity. It's just much easier to market for the Four Seasons. To get a feel of the place you'd have to shell out a lot of money for a 3-4 day stay. FWIW, the agencies that tends to sell them most are Bill Fischer and Luxury Retreats.

The other thing to consider is the financing of these villas. They are pet projects of ultra wealthy individuals--the places where they themselves would travel--so I think they can take a very personal sense of pride to ensure the highest caliber of service.

Last edited by DSI; Feb 4, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I got business class TFN-LYS via MAD for €390 on IB. There's lots of variety in pricing during the day and week on IB. And by looking at both the north and south airports, which are an hour apart. And it's a bit of a secret so far, but IB Express has the best IFE in the world. And a decent business class.
Know they had this prices a while ago often combined with the 5th freedom on TAM FRA-MAD (not great arrival time). Isn´t IB Express an Economy with free middle seat?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by offerendum
Isn´t IB Express an Economy with free middle seat?
No, it's a real business class. Decent drinks too, serving a 7 year old Flor de Cana Gran Reserve. ^ But it's the high quality IFE that really makes the time pass. Streams right to your personal device.

Back to hotels! I'm at the wonderful IC Marseille again. Clarins Spa tomorrow.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:21 pm

I've finally firmed up/booked three trips this year -

On Friday we leave for the long-planned Sri Lanka tour, visiting Kandy (Elephant Stables), Tea Trails (Summerville), Galle (Galle Fort Hotel), Calamansi Cove and Saman Villas.

In August we're at the Sofitel Montreal then aboard the Regent Seven Seas Navigator, sailing to Quebec, Prince Edward Island, St Pierre & Miquelon, Newfoundland, Greenland (three stops) and Iceland.

And in late September we do a tour of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I've finally firmed up/booked three trips this year -

On Friday we leave for the long-planned Sri Lanka tour, visiting Kandy (Elephant Stables), Tea Trails (Summerville), Galle (Galle Fort Hotel), Calamansi Cove and Saman Villas.

In August we're at the Sofitel Montreal then aboard the Regent Seven Seas Navigator, sailing to Quebec, Prince Edward Island, St Pierre & Miquelon, Newfoundland, Greenland (three stops) and Iceland.

And in late September we do a tour of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Sounds wonderful !

Please do some TRs or the like .

Haven ' t returned to Quebec or PEI , etcetera for many years now .

Working on , not sure which yet , Tea Trails for April

Looking at lovely azure waters of the Andaman Sea from our Trisara villa as I type
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by DSI

I think I understand your perspective. These places are too expensive to sell/aren't part of the virtuoso network so there's no additional amenity. It's just much easier to market for the Four Seasons. To get a feel of the place you'd have to shell out a lot of money for a 3-4 day stay. FWIW, the agencies that tends to sell them most are Bill Fischer and Luxury Retreats.

The other thing to consider is the financing of these villas. They are pet projects of ultra wealthy individuals--the places where they themselves would travel--so I think they can take a very personal sense of pride to ensure the highest caliber of service.
Agree on the first two points - of course, in the end you do have to try it to experience it. I haven't stayed at Iniala and Ani Villas, but have stayed at/visited other private villas (as I said, there are tons of these around Thailand/Indonesia) and been just as impressed as many times as I haven't been impressed. But yes, I agree on the point in general.

You are wrong on the point quoted though - without wishing to speak for other agents on the forum, for me at least, it's actually EASIER to sell all-inclusive private villas than it is to sell a villa at a resort. They're CHEAPER to sell, not more expensive - especially when you're looking at people who require that many bedrooms.

When it comes to larger groups and families, they prefer the complete privacy and exclusivity rather than attaching themselves to a resort - and having it all-inclusive helps too. And finally, the price is ALWAYS the biggest factor.
10-bedroom at Ani Villas at USD 10,000/night with literally everything included, or 9-bedroom at Amanpuri at USD 25,000/night?

It's not even a choice, really...and like I said, this is only looking at place like Ani Villas. There are several other villas in Phuket/Koh Samui that are stunning and cheaper than Ani Villas.

We book villas through LuxuryRetreats, ZekkeiCollection (who own a few villas in Koh Samui/Niseko themselves) and more.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:12 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I agree with chinmoylad in that it's much easier to sell all-inclusive villas. Some of my clients take huge family trips (28 adults + children) and are really tired of having to think and worry about food and other incremental expenses. i.e. a family wanted to visit Europe again and just wanted all inclusive so they decided on Uniworld Cruise vs. booking hotels across individual cities...even though this completely altered their original itinerary, the main client (payee) didn't care, as long it's all inclusive.

The same concept would apply to villas. In my experience (not speaking for other agents, either), most of my clients are very value driven, regardless of their net worth. They may be happier paying $1,500/night and be upgraded into a $2,200/night suite vs. $500/night and upgrade into a $600/night better view room.

Sorry, think we've digressed slightly here.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Pausanias
In August we're at the Sofitel Montreal
That should be moved to the Ritz Carlton 2 blocks west of the Sofitel...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No, it's a real business class. Decent drinks too, serving a 7 year old Flor de Cana Gran Reserve. ^ But it's the high quality IFE that really makes the time pass. Streams right to your personal device.

Back to hotels! I'm at the wonderful IC Marseille again. Clarins Spa tomorrow.
Thanks!

Will be at the IC Marseille soon, saved myself the room with the hints of lavender

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.