Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:15 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Squeezing in a few more quick trips...

Thanksgiving weekend:
- Meadowood Napa Valley (+ dinner at The Restaurant at Meadowood)

March:
- MO Las Vegas
- Zion Lodge
- Amangiri

With our trip plans for this Winter and next Summer already finalized long ago, for Dec. 2017 we're considering a visit to Namibia (Little Kulala, Wolwedans Dune Camp, Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp and Serra Cafema.) Camp rates are nowhere near Singita or Zarafa levels, but man... getting around in Namibia by air looks to be INSANELY expensive!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:14 pm

Man I am getting so confused for January.

I have this flight booked (paid ticket) PEN - KUL - HKG - JFK - YVR (all F class).
I booked a positioning ticket from SAN - ORD - PVG (Y class, AA SWU).
So far, I have two nights booked in Shanghai (Four Seasons Pudong). This is already paid for !

Right now, my plan was to go to Zanzibar. I booked , in cash, (F fare, refundable), CAN - DOH, DOH - BKK. This is on QR. I will achieve roughly the same EQD on AA as the cost of the ticket, which is a good value proposition.

Now here is the problem...If I want to book tickets from DOH - ZNZ, the fare is over $1000....in Economy. AA would say that I only spent $100 on EQD, which is a losing proposition. It simply isnt worth it, IMO, especially considering I can't get a good feel for the hotels. Although I currently have booked the Residence Zanzibar.

I can add a flight to MLE, in J, for the same price of the ticket that I have already paid. Most resorts are very pricey (this is around New Years) so Im looking at something like JA Manafaru or something of that. Alternatively, I can cancel the tickets and look at something like Boracay (Shangri La 1 br private pool villa), Bali (the Bale, Oberoi Garden Pool, or 6 nights at a combo of Amans -- but rainy season!), or even Phucket. All these are easier to get to PEN, but will require cancelling the F tickets on QR, which is fine, as Ill be doing F on CX.

Any ideas here? I am so perplexed.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by surftb15
Man I am getting so confused for January.

I have this flight booked (paid ticket) PEN - KUL - HKG - JFK - YVR (all F class).
I booked a positioning ticket from SAN - ORD - PVG (Y class, AA SWU).
So far, I have two nights booked in Shanghai (Four Seasons Pudong). This is already paid for !

Right now, my plan was to go to Zanzibar. I booked , in cash, (F fare, refundable), CAN - DOH, DOH - BKK. This is on QR. I will achieve roughly the same EQD on AA as the cost of the ticket, which is a good value proposition.

Now here is the problem...If I want to book tickets from DOH - ZNZ, the fare is over $1000....in Economy. AA would say that I only spent $100 on EQD, which is a losing proposition. It simply isnt worth it, IMO, especially considering I can't get a good feel for the hotels. Although I currently have booked the Residence Zanzibar.

I can add a flight to MLE, in J, for the same price of the ticket that I have already paid. Most resorts are very pricey (this is around New Years) so Im looking at something like JA Manafaru or something of that. Alternatively, I can cancel the tickets and look at something like Boracay (Shangri La 1 br private pool villa), Bali (the Bale, Oberoi Garden Pool, or 6 nights at a combo of Amans -- but rainy season!), or even Phucket. All these are easier to get to PEN, but will require cancelling the F tickets on QR, which is fine, as Ill be doing F on CX.

Any ideas here? I am so perplexed.
CX is ok . Or SQ from KUL for ASEAN connections & to Maldives , then SQ back to KUL , stay at MOKL before returning to HKG

Instead of SLA , try Pulo if you can in ! Have you been yet ? Much better by far .
Puri and / or Trisara will be great if you can get a in too . Trisara first than Puri in 105 or pool pavilions

How long is this trip ? Which other hotels have you booked ?

Save Zanzibar for another time especially if trips overlap or are too close .
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
CX is ok . Or SQ from KUL for ASEAN connections & to Maldives , then SQ back to KUL , stay at MOKL before returning to HKG

Instead of SLA , try Pulo if you can in ! Have you been yet ? Much better by far .
Puri and / or Trisara will be great if you can get a in too . Trisara first than Puri in 105 or pool pavilions

How long is this trip ? Which other hotels have you booked ?

Save Zanzibar for another time especially if trips overlap or are too close .

7 nights.
But Amanpuri/Trisara have no availability. This was done last minute.
And as far as SQ, the ticket on CX was a fare mistake ($4k round trip in F).

So its down to Maldives (JA manafaru or Coco Bodu Hithi - everything else is out of budget), Bali / Java, Phucket, or Shangra La 1br in Boracay.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The newly built Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
The newly built Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Getting good reviews so far and the price isn't that bad. ^
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:29 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Perhaps switch the order ?
Enjoyed the Residence D ' Angkor some years back so will be pleased to find out about the upgrading works done .
Any elevators / lifts added ?
If not walking up & down the floors in heat & humidity can be a workout , & we were there early January ..

Tend to save best for last , sometimes difficult if only Amans trip .
That would have been ideal! But our flight timings mean we won't get to spend maximum time possible at Amansara - decided to swap it around.

Park Hyatt? Raffles? Anything else worth visiting/checking out there?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Getting good reviews so far and the price isn't that bad. ^
I'm in a very nice and shiny new corner suite now. Amazing views both in this room and the Club down the hall. Stunning bathroom. And yes the current price is quite a steal in comparison to the usual list of luxury Tokyo hotels.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
That would have been ideal! But our flight timings mean we won't get to spend maximum time possible at Amansara - decided to swap it around.

Park Hyatt? Raffles? Anything else worth visiting/checking out there?
Park Hyatt & Raffles good to recce , have the staff show you around . Interesting information besides seeing the decent " hardware " .

Yes , always maximize time at Amans
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:03 am

You get a lot of time at Amansara as the morning tours to Angkor return at about 10am and the afternoon tours leave at about 4pm. I don't think people use this hotel as a resort - it has more in common with a safari lodge.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:07 pm

I was going to be heading to zanzibar but then decided on Maldives for Qatar first ticketing reasons.

Ended up getting a confidential rate at the new outrigger, which was going to be a raffles.

Then I was planning on seychelles but DavidO hooked up a double upgrade an Amanusa and amanjiwo. So going there instead. Rates were cheap at undiscovered indo.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:19 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I was going to be heading to zanzibar but then decided on Maldives for Qatar first ticketing reasons.

Ended up getting a confidential rate at the new outrigger, which was going to be a raffles.

Then I was planning on seychelles but DavidO hooked up a double upgrade an Amanusa and amanjiwo. So going there instead. Rates were cheap at undiscovered indo.
Plan to head to Amankila and Amanusa after Aman Tokyo in late December...Usa possibly Dec 28 - 30...If interested, would love to grab a drink with a fellow FT'er if timing overlaps. Cheers!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Then I was planning on seychelles but DavidO hooked up a double upgrade an Amanusa and Amanjiwo. So going there instead.
Major envy for your stay at Amanjiwo.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Major envy for your stay at Amanjiwo.
Me too, never been there before.
5 nights Amanusa / 5 Amanjiwo.
Double upgrade was amazing (lead in room -> pool room)
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Me too, never been there before.
5 nights Amanusa / 5 Amanjiwo.
Double upgrade was amazing (lead in room -> pool room)
We actually really enjoyed Amanusa, too, btw....but it's just that Amanjiwo still ranks along with Singita Boulders and a few others as among our favorite hotel stays of all time.

At Amanjiwo, I highly recommend multiple visits to Borobudur Temple...to get photos with different light. And even more highly, take the bicycle tour around the surrounding villages: most memorable activity I may ever have done anywhere that's so simple. We met so many locals, especially children, and saw real Javanese culture and living. And I despise biking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.