Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by KatW
We like Cobbler Cove sister resort: The Sandiper.
The Sandpiper was our first choice but it was fully booked and, in any event, I've always regarded Cobblers Cove as one of the iconic resorts of the Caribbean, along with La Samanna and Jamaica Inn, all imbued with a certain old world charm, sophistication and Hollywood glamour. Claudette Colbert, whom I knew slightly, lived next door to Cobblers Cove. This is quite different to what I perceive as the glitzy vulgarity of a place like Sandy Lane.

On our first ever visit to Barbados we stayed at the Royal Pavilion and were puzzled by the numbers of press photographers lurking in the undergrowth. We were told there were many famous UK footballers staying there. We know nothing about football. We were also told that the man who sprawled on a sun lounger each day by the entrance to the beach, getting redder and redder every day, was a famous football manager called Ron. I once found myself with Ron alone on the offshore platform and we chatted for a moment and I asked him what he did for a living.

'I'm a football manager,' he said, bemused that I hadn't recognised him.

'Oh,' I said, 'And what do you want to do when you grow up?'

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 24, 2016 at 1:14 am
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:41 am

When we were at the then Jalousie in St Lucia with our kids maybe 10 years ago, there was a famous footballer who I actually recognised as he was at the time in a relationship with Kelly Hoppen (interior designer and Dragon for those who don't know her) but no one apart from my 2 batted an eyelid and there were certainly no paparazzi - rather difficult for them to get in there anyway unless by boat which is what the paparazzi did for the wedding for some Hollywood star who got married there - they moored a long way offshore and used their telephoto lenses.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite/LT Gold; Hilton Diamond; AA Gold
Planning to traipse around Europe for a few weeks to escape both reality and the pressure of the holidays. Arriving and departing out of London, with a big loop to Amsterdam, SW Germany (Baden-Baden, resort town), and Paris in between. Very, very excited and something to look forward to after a really crap year, to say the least (death in the family).

--> Points stay at St. Ermin's Autograph Collection (London) from 12/23 through 12/26 - reviews look solid, I like the boutique-y feel that Autograph properties provide, and it's a great location considering that the Tube will be down starting on Christmas Eve and through 12/26.
-->Train to Amsterdam and points stay (Chase Ultimate Rewards) at Andaz Amsterdam, which looks pretty great - and I've never been to Amsterdam so looking forward to lots of museums and exploring.
-->Train to SW Germany and free night certs stay at Roomers Baden-Baden - new property and really looking forward to seeing Germany, also never been there. Not much info on Roomers BB yet that I can find, as it's brand new, but I'll do a trip report when I get back.
-->Train to Paris (have to go through Paris to get back to London for flight back, figured I might as well stay a few days because Paris is never a bad idea) and points stay at Renaissance Vendome. Perfect location for the things I'm planning on doing (Musee D'Orsay, shopping, eating).
-->Train back to London for a few more days before flying back. I had booked a room at gastropub/hotel The Grazing Goat and just found out that they are doing maintenance and unable to honor the reservation ... I wanted to stay in that area of town so I'm close to Paddington for train back to Heathrow early early morning so am considering points stay at Marriott Park Lane or throwing reason (and money?) out the window to stay at the Zetter Marylebonne.

Input welcomed! I know London very well, having lived there in college for five months, and have been to Paris a handful of times and have a good feel for it as well. But Amsterdam and Baden-Baden/SW Germany will be brand new to me. Looking forward to getting out of my headspace and having an adventure.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
PH Chicago for a night this weekend.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:06 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Dec:
Aman Tokyo, Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Four Seasons Kyoto, Amankila, Amanusa (decided to skip Amanemu ... just seems a bit boring and sub-Aman)

2017 confirmed/planned so far:
Amanzoe
Amanoi
Amanpuri
Cheval Blanc Randelli (Maldives)
Four Seasons LG (maldives)

Last edited by BESVISOR; Nov 3, 2016 at 6:45 am
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:49 pm

The Datai

I am currently at the Datai in a newly refurbished beach villa. Absolutely wonderful!

Checked in yesterday and so far I am very happy. Lovely hard product, really great service with an outstanding butler, nice dining.

I will update in the appropriate thread next week.

Now here's to hoping the sun will eventually come out. It has been raining for over 14h now . I must have done something very, very bad to have insulted the weather gods to this degree.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:47 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan
November
Ashford Castle
When are you going? I will be there in a few weeks.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:35 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
The Lanesborough this week.
Four Seasons Jumeirah Beach & Park Hyatt Saadiyat Island next week.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
It isn't an Aman. Are you sure you can handle that?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
It isn't an Aman. Are you sure you can handle that?
Only been to 1 Aman this year: Aman Venice! Amanpulo next month and that is my entire Aman-therapy for the year. I am cured!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We'll be arriving on Thursday of this week. We stayed last year and enjoyed it, however since then the spa has opened (the pictures look nice), so we thought we would see what this was like.
Haven't returned in years but always hoping soon especially after the refurbishment .
Please do TRs .
You staying in the " Boathouse " ?

MOHK in few hours time .
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:59 pm
Suspended

November
Ashford Castle
Killarney Park Hotel
Kempinski Hotel Cathedral Square, Vilnius

January
Pestana Palacio Do Freixo, Porto
Gainsborough Bath Spa

February
Adlon Kempinski
Scandic Aarhus City

March
Four Season Florence

April
The Siam, Bangkok
Nai Harn, Phuket

May
Rayavadee
Datai Langkawi
Le Mirador Resort and Spa, Switzerland

June
Il Sereno Lago di Como
Baglioni Hotel Carlton

August
Ritz, London
How are you able to take all these trips?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
How are you able to take all these trips?
Why does it matter?

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.