Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Rome is difficult. It all depends on what you want to do there
Eat! Seriously, I'm a philistine, and VERY quickly get "Ruin Fatigue". And I'm an absolute troglodyte when it comes to pre 20th century art.

I'm disappointed Eden won't be open, but truthfully nothing in Rome really strikes me as eye-popping. I'm actually contemplating Air B&B, if I myself can even believe it.
Personally I would avoid Turkey right now ...
I appreciate the recs for Turkey, as well as the word of warning. I'm not usually bothered by the hyperbolic ramblings of most Western News Media - I mean, if one really listened to them one would never visit the US for fear of getting shot.

But, I take your point: we're comfortable with uncertainty, and are highly flexible, so if - as we near - things seem more dire we will call an audible and book a flight elsewhere from IST.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Rome is difficult. It all depends on what you want to do there. The newly refurbed Eden will not be open by then. I think the Palazzo Manfredi looks good, with the best view of the Colosseum since Commodus sat in the royal box and a fab rooftop restaurant. The hotels near the Borghese/Vatican/shopping don't interest me as I visit Rome for the antiquities.

Personally I would avoid Turkey right now and I don't normally pay that much attention to security issues apart from obvious places like Iraq and Afghanistan. I just don't think the climate is right in Turkey just now. I think it's a country seriously on edge with soldiers everywhere. Of course you can always lock yourself away in that Aman or the MO . . . However, if you insist on Turkey, try and see the Roman site of Aphrodisias . . . it's almost in the same league as Leptis Magna. You can do it in a day-trip from Kusadasi via the superb Roman theatre at Nysa.

As for me, I'm currently working on Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Ukraine. Of course, the Four Seasons Baku is the main goal here!
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Eat! Seriously, I'm a philistine, and VERY quickly get "Ruin Fatigue". And I'm an absolute troglodyte when it comes to pre 20th century art.

I'm disappointed Eden won't be open, but truthfully nothing in Rome really strikes me as eye-popping. I'm actually contemplating Air B&B, if I myself can even believe it.

I appreciate the recs for Turkey, as well as the word of warning. I'm not usually bothered by the hyperbolic ramblings of most Western News Media - I mean, if one really listened to them one would never visit the US for fear of getting shot.

But, I take your point: we're comfortable with uncertainty, and are highly flexible, so if - as we near - things seem more dire we will call an audible and book a flight elsewhere from IST.
Hopefully Eden will be open if I do go to Rome ( stay & not on board ship ) in November .

Also Pausanias , please do a TR after your Four Seasons Baku stay

Just met a Turkish lady yesterday who advised against travel to Turkey for the foreseeable future .
She is from Istanbul & left barely a month ago .

Was hoping to return in November too since I had to abort our return couple years back just before the troubles began .
Yes , check out Aphrodisias from Ruya , of course , with a longer FS Bosphorus stay .

Will settle for Wales ( rest of UK ; in LON Halkin , not sure about the Connaught these days , etc ) , Ireland ? - Ashford Castle / Ballyfin - etcetera - in September & possibly dovetailing into the Nordic countries in October

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 14, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by aa213bb

I was in Istanbul twice in the last month or so. I was at the IC when the car bomb went off at the football stadium, about 400m from my window. It was rather powerful and shook the building, but the good hotels have strong windows so no problems for me. The IC is solid as a rock and has loads of security. And as the bomb was targeting the police and not western businessmen or tourists, I did not feel unsafe at all. There were no other issues during either of my visits. Folks are very friendly and happy to have any visitors.

I'm from Chicago which is a far, far more dangerous place than Istanbul.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Secrets Maroma Beach in a couple of months, can't wait! Been told is one of the best beaches in the area.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Member

At Belmond Maroma now and would urge you to consider it over Secrets. The beach here is beyond superb (no seaweed, no jellyfish), the ocean is delightfully frolicsome and swimable. The service is beyond compare. The setting extravagantly goegeous. I may exhaust my store of superlatives. The sweet kindness here is respectfully comfortable. We'll be back this spring.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Haven't been in NYC for almost 10 years and finally going back in Feb, so exciting!
I'll be staying at Crosby Street Hotel, never stayed at any Firmdale hotels, looking forward to it!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:41 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Next:
Baccarat New York, 3/2 - 3/5

Spring:
Four Seasons G V, 4/8 - 4/9
Uniworld River Cruise, Paris - Normandy via brand new Super Ship, 4/9 - 4/16

Summer:
Amanpulo, 7/6 - 7/10,
Amanoi, 7/10 - 7/14, look forwrad to celebrating my birthday at an Aman
Amansara, 7/14 - 7/17
Amanpuri, 7/17 - 20, possibly replacing a night for the Iniala Beach House Villas which looks insane!
Four Seasons Maldives, 7/20 - 7/24
Cheval Blanc Maldives, 7/24 - 7/28

If any fellow FT'er will be crossing paths, would love to meet for a drink/chat!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by KatW
At Belmond Maroma now and would urge you to consider it over Secrets. The beach here is beyond superb (no seaweed, no jellyfish), the ocean is delightfully frolicsome and swimable. The service is beyond compare. The setting extravagantly goegeous. I may exhaust my store of superlatives. The sweet kindness here is respectfully comfortable. We'll be back this spring.

Wow thank you!! I'll look into that :-D
I have heard great things about secret before booking but Belmond sounds even better!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:00 am

We'll be honeymooning from Nov 13-Dec 3 in Hong Kong, Thailand and Japan.

Nov 13-16- Hong Kong: RC Hong Kong
Nov 16-18- Bangkok: The Siam
Nov 18-22- Amanpuri
Nov 22-24- Chiang Mai: Anantara
Nov 24-26- Chiang Rai: FS Golden Triangle
Nov 26-27: Bangkok: The Peninsula
Nov 27-Dec 1: RC Tokyo
Dec 1-2: Asaba Ryokan
Dec 2-3: Aman Tokyo

We've been to Japan once before so if anyone can recommend some off the beaten path day trips from Tokyo we'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:13 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Anlun
We'll be honeymooning from Nov 13-Dec 3 in Hong Kong, Thailand and Japan.

Nov 13-16- Hong Kong: RC Hong Kong
Nov 16-18- Bangkok: The Siam
Nov 18-22- Amanpuri
Nov 22-24- Chiang Mai: Anantara
Nov 24-26- Chiang Rai: FS Golden Triangle
Nov 26-27: Bangkok: The Peninsula
Nov 27-Dec 1: RC Tokyo
Dec 1-2: Asaba Ryokan
Dec 2-3: Aman Tokyo

We've been to Japan once before so if anyone can recommend some off the beaten path day trips from Tokyo we'd appreciate it.
Firstly, congrats on the upcoming milestone!

Just returned from Japan again, 3 weeks ago. Stayed at Aman Tokyo then Ritz Carlton Kyoto....must say that we were so surprised by how much we loved Kyoto! We were lucky to have great weather for Dec so walking around Kyoto and visiting its Bamboo Forest/Shrines was just georgeus! You can always make a day trip there, 2 hour train ride each way. but if you can stretch your honeymoon, I'd at least consider spending 2 nights there.

We loved our terrace suite at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto (fab location) but Four Seasons just opened there as well. We stopped by for site inspection and while it's stunning, there are tradeoffs but that's not for this thread.

We are also heading to Phuket in July for site inspections...currently booked at Amanpuri but are considering jumping ship to stay at Iniala Beach House which seems to be out of this world and an experience for sure.

Cheers and safe travels!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Firstly, congrats on the upcoming milestone!

Just returned from Japan again, 3 weeks ago. Stayed at Aman Tokyo then Ritz Carlton Kyoto....must say that we were so surprised by how much we loved Kyoto! We were lucky to have great weather for Dec so walking around Kyoto and visiting its Bamboo Forest/Shrines was just georgeus! You can always make a day trip there, 2 hour train ride each way. but if you can stretch your honeymoon, I'd at least consider spending 2 nights there.

We loved our terrace suite at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto (fab location) but Four Seasons just opened there as well. We stopped by for site inspection and while it's stunning, there are tradeoffs but that's not for this thread.

We are also heading to Phuket in July for site inspections...currently booked at Amanpuri but are considering jumping ship to stay at Iniala Beach House which seems to be out of this world and an experience for sure.

Cheers and safe travels!
Thanks! We spent a week in Kyoto last time and made a bunch of day trips from there. Agreed it was amazing, but I don't think we will be visiting it again this time around. What are your thoughts on Aman Tokyo? This site seems deeply divided on the soft product.

I was considering Iniala and Trisara vs. Amanpuri when booking. In the end I just didn't like the feel if Iniala. Seemed too modern and isolated for our taste. And we didn't care for the beach or the fact that there is children's area (which to me implies a more family oriented resort). Let me know what you decide and I'm looking forward to a report!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:13 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by Anlun
Thanks! We spent a week in Kyoto last time and made a bunch of day trips from there. Agreed it was amazing, but I don't think we will be visiting it again this time around. What are your thoughts on Aman Tokyo? This site seems deeply divided on the soft product.

I was considering Iniala and Trisara vs. Amanpuri when booking. In the end I just didn't like the feel if Iniala. Seemed too modern and isolated for our taste. And we didn't care for the beach or the fact that there is children's area (which to me implies a more family oriented resort). Let me know what you decide and I'm looking forward to a report!
Gotach! We wanted to take a day trip or even spend 1 night in Hakone for Onsen and mt. Fuji but just didn't have enough time...guess we'll have to go back life has its challenges!

LOVED the hard product (which isn't what you asked but I felt compelled to address). Soft product was a huge let down comp to SE Asian Aman standards but just as good as any good FS, RC or MO...like the ones in Tokyo. But to your point, it's really just rolling the dice and see if the Aman gods will smile upon you during your visit.

So, Iniala's design doesn't draw me in either but the word on FT is to avoid judging the over the top design and just let the service/experience love on you.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:19 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Iniala's design seemed a bit OTT for me, too, but we went anyways on the recommendation of Macmyday. Best decision ever, but, it'll make Amans seem like Motel 6's with limited service standards going forward. Maybe that's an overstatement? Macmyday has been to more Amans than I have, so he can comment more intelligently.

Our house doesn't look like Iniala, neither does it look like Aman, or a grand dame for that matter. Neither are our personal tastes. Instead, it's more of a generic, Four Seasons city style (I think), decorated with Ethan Allen stuff almost exclusively. LM225 can confirm as he's been to our place.

For us, half the fun of traveling is trying something new. But perhaps I'm unique in that respect.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

When will you return to Laucala ?

Not going to LPQ today after all , would have loved to check out Azerai & catch up with Gary T . Pop by Taka to see any changes .
Still finalizing Phuket later this month & February . Puri or still just a meal at Trisara ??

QUOTE=m3red;27731126]26-30 Jan six senses Yao noi (ocean view Vila)

Perhaps may overlap if we decide to visit SSYN too
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Quito at the start. Guayaquil at the end. It's a relatively short trip from Los Angeles, so I didn't feel the need to add another substantive stop to justify travel time.
Well , almost ended up at Marriott but going to check out Trisara after many years of absence to catch up with Anthony L too . He assures us that we will still know many of the staff .
We shall see how service is after rather " iffy " reviews in this forum .

Crossed mind to recce Iniala but at this time cannot take risk with the design . The intention is to relax , so will possibly stay when I'm going kayaking , etc .
Ankle still on the mend ( was to be in TUH & MOHK now but aborted too )

Amanpuri is rather busy over CNY so have opted to possibly have a meal there instead . Our usual pool pavilions , etc are not available plus we do not enjoy Puri when the beach is super busy .
FYI , it is over holidays " with most movements in the world " , read between the lines .
Plus .. Why hide away in a Puri villa at this time when the sea is at her best ?

Pulo also faces same issue ..

Perhaps should be cruising Galapagos instead . Thanks SanDiego1K .

Trying to sort out when in March for N'oi .

April / May : Puri , Nemu , Aman Tokyo ?? MOTYO ?

May / June :
Vancouver Still deciding hotels

Where else in Alaska ? .. besides cruising - M . S . Regatta

Bellevue / Medina / Mercer Island / Seattle : Family , friends .. PanPacific , Olympic and / or ??

Lummi Island : Willows Inn to eat & stay

June / July : Kila , Nusa

Am not at Amans monthly

July / August : ? Perhaps Saffire or NZ - figuring out lodges ..

September :

Wales - any luxury ??

Manchester - luxury ??

London : FS Trinity Square ? ( depends on TRs ) , Halkin ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 21, 2017 at 3:08 pm Reason: iPad typos , etc
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well , almost ended up at Marriott but going to check out Trisara after many years of absence to catch up with Anthony L too . He assures us that we will still know many of the staff .
We shall see how service is after rather " iffy " reviews in this forum .

Amanpuri is rather busy over CNY so have opted to possibly have a meal there instead . Our usual pool pavilions , etc are not available plus we do not enjoy Puri when the beach is super busy .
Hmm, as it is over holidays " with most movements in the world " , read between the lines .
Plus .. Why hide away in Puri villa at this time when the sea us at her best ?

Pulo also faces same issue ..

Perhaps should be cruising Galapagos instead . Thanks SanDiego1K ?

Trying to sort out when in March for N'oi .
April / May : Nemu. , Aman Tokyo. ??
May :

Vancouver Still deciding hotels

Where else in Alaska ? .. besides cruising . M . S . Regatta

Seattle : Family , friends .. PanPacific , Olympic and / or ??

Willows Inn to eat & stay
Will also try Aman Tokyo, as reviews (and Astrid K) indicate it is better now.

Let us know if you see familiar faces (left) at Puri, should you drop by for a meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.