Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by QPRfan
In Manchester the Lowry is ok. It's location isn't great, and I thought the restaurant was expensive given the quality of food (the food was ok, but there are some good food places in Manchester way cheaper) however as a hotel it is ok.
The Radisson Blu is a typical Radisson Blu. You can sleep but won't be blown away. It has a better location, for some reason I can't recall we didn't particularly rate it's afternoon tea.
The Midland is the grand dame in Manchester. A great location, and beautiful old building. It will be busy on weekends and has a decent lunch or afternoon tea, though service can be average - I don't think it is five stars, possibly only four so you need to balance service v location and architecture.
I have been told that the Hilton is decent but have no experience of this. It has a location on Deansgate and I assume some amazing views from the top (it is by far the tallest building in Manchester).
The location of the midland and the Lowry is very similar they are very close together - the Lowry is just behind deansgate too.

I stayed in the radisson - thought it was ok for a couple of nights and the location is better than the deansgate hilton (slightly).

If you need to be in Manchester I'd go for the lowry or the radisson. The Lowry is near spinning fields which has a few nice bars like oast house/ Manchester house / neighbourhood/ alchemist /Australasia (recommend for dinner but make a reservation) try the mango soufflé- yum!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:55 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:24 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 10:29 am
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Just returned from Aman Tokyo 3 weeks ago...it's really a hit or miss on the soft product. Of course it all depends on what your benchmark is...if it's SE Asia Amans...then you may be dissapointed.

However, you will likely love the hard product and while I don't want to write poems about Aman Tokyo, I certainly don't have a better hotel in Tokyo to recommend. Even when the service was a "miss" in my mind, it was just as good as say, the RC, MO , Pen or FS...but not on the legacy Aman level.

It's like, I really like this girl. She's beautiful, smart and I enjoy hanging out with her (by the pool) but I didn't fall in love...

What did my wife put in my coffee this morning?!

Manage your expectations and you will likely enjoy it ... it's also Tokyo, so how can you not have a great time?!
i put my thoughts from my trip a couple weeks ago in the amanresorts thread. But, basically, I felt that the effort for the service was on par with legacy amans, but execution wasn't always perfect.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:10 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
i put my thoughts from my trip a couple weeks ago in the amanresorts thread. But, basically, I felt that the effort for the service was on par with legacy amans, but execution wasn't always perfect.
Glad it was a "hit" experience during your stay!

Efforts were there to assist during my stay as well just lacked "going the extra mile" or being proactive...again, you won't have trouble convincing me to return if I'm already in Tokyo but I won't be making a special trip to visit it, such as I did in Dec.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by QPRfan
Not sure if this is a typo but the location of the Radisson and the Midland are close, but the Lowry is at least a 10 minute walk away from them.
Yeah typo my bad! Radisson is next to the midland, Lowry behind deansgate. I used to live at leftbank in spinningfields.

The least convenient location has to be the Hilton for me.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
This week

PH HCMC
RC Spore
Trisara
PH HCMC
Pen BKK
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Just finalized our plans for this coming December:
- Four Seasons The Nam Hai, Hoi An
- Amanoi
- RC Tokyo
- Gora Kadan
- FS Kyoto

I'm now in the process of planning our Sept. 2018 safari. It'll most likely will be a combination of:
- Mombo Camp
- Zarafa Camp
- Duba Plains Camp (Great Plains is in the process of rebuilding the camp; it's expected to meet or exceed the quality of Zarafa)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
New trip came up: Vegas in the Spring!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
This week

PH HCMC
RC Spore
Trisara
PH HCMC
Pen BKK
When are you at Trisara ?
Will be there this Saturday , 4 February .

Perhaps we can meet up since you missed the Amanjunkie FTers mini DO last time at Amanpuri
Am popping by Puri before Saturday though .

When are you in RC SIN ?

Oh yes , �� Gong Xi Fa Cai / Kung Hei Fatt Choy all
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Anlun
We'll be honeymooning from Nov 13-Dec 3 in Hong Kong, Thailand and Japan.

Nov 13-16- Hong Kong: RC Hong Kong
Nov 16-18- Bangkok: The Siam
Nov 18-22- Amanpuri
Nov 22-24- Chiang Mai: Anantara
Nov 24-26- Chiang Rai: FS Golden Triangle
Nov 26-27: Bangkok: The Peninsula
Nov 27-Dec 1: RC Tokyo
Dec 1-2: Asaba Ryokan
Dec 2-3: Aman Tokyo

We've been to Japan once before so if anyone can recommend some off the beaten path day trips from Tokyo we'd appreciate it.
I would not waste my time at RC Tokyo for so many nights if I were you.
Aman Tokyo and Asaba is definitely worthwhile though.

I would highly recommend River Retreat Garaku (Toyama pref) - in December.
http://www.garaku.co.jp

Relaxing in the onsen with the view of snow is just amazing.
The hotel is as great as Aman, and their French and Japanese dining are both great. With Tohoku-shinkansen running, it is now quite accessible to Toyama from Tokyo!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:01 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
I'm assuming you meant to say Hokuriku Shinkansen. And I agree. Seafood from the Sea of Japan, in general, is superior to the ones caught from the Pacific Ocean side. Crab (seasonal), Fugu and Squid, to name just a few, is second to none!

Originally Posted by Erika_Tokyo
With Tohoku-shinkansen running, it is now quite accessible to Toyama from Tokyo!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:36 am

FS Lisbon end of March, potentially coastal drive to Vila Vita Algarve, FS Casablanca + FS Marrakech, The Rock Hotel Gibraltar, Finca Cortesin Malaga.

Hope weather will be OK
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
I'm assuming you meant to say Hokuriku Shinkansen. And I agree. Seafood from the Sea of Japan, in general, is superior to the ones caught from the Pacific Ocean side. Crab (seasonal), Fugu and Squid, to name just a few, is second to none!
My bad! Thanks for correcting
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
[QUOTE=FlyerEC;27797503]
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

When will you return to Laucala ?

Not going to LPQ today after all , would have loved to check out Azerai & catch up with Gary T . Pop by Taka to see any changes .
Still finalizing Phuket later this month & February . Puri or still just a meal at Trisara ??

QUOTE=m3red;27731126]26-30 Jan six senses Yao noi (ocean view Vila)

Perhaps may overlap if we decide to visit SSYN too
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Quito at the start. Guayaquil at the end. It's a relatively short trip from Los Angeles, so I didn't feel the need to add another substantive stop to justify travel time.
Well , almost ended up at Marriott but going to check out Trisara after many years of absence to catch up with Anthony L too . He assures us that we will still know many of the staff .
We shall see how service is after rather " iffy " reviews in this forum .

Crossed mind to recce Iniala but at this time cannot take risk with the design . The intention is to relax , so will possibly stay when I'm going kayaking , etc .
Ankle still on the mend ( was to be in TUH & MOHK now but aborted too )

Amanpuri is rather busy over CNY so have opted to possibly have a meal there instead . Our usual pool pavilions , etc are not available plus we do not enjoy Puri when the beach is super busy .
FYI , it is over holidays " with most movements in the world " , read between the lines .
Plus .. Why hide away in a Puri villa at this time when the sea is at her best ?

Pulo also faces same issue ..

Perhaps should be cruising Galapagos instead . Thanks SanDiego1K .

Trying to sort out when in March for N'oi .

April / May : Puri , Nemu , Aman Tokyo ?? MOTYO ?

May / June :
Vancouver Still deciding hotels

Where else in Alaska ? .. besides cruising - M . S . Regatta

Bellevue / Medina / Mercer Island / Seattle : Family , friends .. PanPacific , Olympic and / or ??

Lummi Island : Willows Inn to eat & stay

June / July : Kila , Nusa

Am not at Amans monthly

July / August : ? Perhaps Saffire or NZ - figuring out lodges ..

September :

Wales - any luxury ??

Manchester - luxury ??

London : FS Trinity Square ? ( depends on TRs ) , Halkin .. [ QUOTE]

April : Galla , Wella

Thinking of Tea Trails before too but not sure which one to stay at .
Where else to consider

Move Nemu to another time

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 1, 2017 at 4:48 pm Reason: Schedule Changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.