Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
When are you at Trisara ?
Will be there this Saturday , 4 February .

Perhaps we can meet up since you missed the Amanjunkie FTers mini DO last time at Amanpuri
Am popping by Puri before Saturday though .

When are you in RC SIN ?

Oh yes , �� Gong Xi Fa Cai / Kung Hei Fatt Choy all
Sorry missed your post. I'll be in in Tokyo on the 4th. Catch you on the next one.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:36 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
Sorry missed your post. I'll be in in Tokyo on the 4th. Catch you on the next one.
Am in Phuket .
Are you still here ?
Lunching at Raya tomorrow

How ' s Trisara ??

Likely Puri in late April after Sri Lanka , before Tokyo mid May ..
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Ritz-Carlton Abama
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by stimpy
Ritz-Carlton Abama
Think about it more or less every year. Always don´t travel because no proper flights are available. Please report back.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The Vale, Grand Hirafu and the Conrad Tokyo.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Am in Phuket .
Are you still here ?
Lunching at Raya tomorrow

How ' s Trisara ??

Likely Puri in late April after Sri Lanka , before Tokyo mid May ..
Trisara about the same. Thinking about a short trip to Puri in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Think about it more or less every year. Always don´t travel because no proper flights are available. Please report back.
BA flies to TFS. IB flies there from ORY as well as many flights from MAD and BCN of course. There are flights from ZRH and FRA I think and several from Scandinavia. But of course I will report back. I stacked both FHR and Marriott Platinum. We'll see.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:38 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

April : Galla , Wella

Thinking of Tea Trails before too but not sure which one to stay at .
Where else to consider

We stayed at Castlereagh Tea Trails and quite liked it. As some people have mentioned, there does seem to be a family across the lake that likes to listen to music, and if that sort of stuff bothers you, it might not be the best option. But the views are great. But their other houses are more closed off to local culture, and thus, quieter.

I don't think that the Aman hotels are the luxury/high end options anymore in Sri Lanka. Ani is of a much higher caliber, and even some of the boutiques seem like they may be able to offer just as much--if not more--at a fraction of the price.

I really, really enjoyed Chena Huts and after seeing the high density build of the Ceylon camp (sister of Tea Trails) it's a better option.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by DSI
April : Galla , Wella

Thinking of Tea Trails before too but not sure which one to stay at .
Where else to consider

We stayed at Castlereagh Tea Trails and quite liked it. As some people have mentioned, there does seem to be a family across the lake that likes to listen to music, and if that sort of stuff bothers you, it might not be the best option. But the views are great. But their other houses are more closed off to local culture, and thus, quieter.

I don't think that the Aman hotels are the luxury/high end options anymore in Sri Lanka. Ani is of a much higher caliber, and even some of the boutiques seem like they may be able to offer just as much--if not more--at a fraction of the price.

I really, really enjoyed Chena Huts and after seeing the high density build of the Ceylon camp (sister of Tea Trails) it's a better option.
What does pricing look like at Ani Villas? And I imagine you cannot just rent one villa, right?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:48 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

It's more expensive than Aman, but it's a much higher-end experience. We haven't stayed at Amanwella, but compared to some of the Amans we've stayed: taka, sara, kora, bagh, there is just no comparison. The former are nice but Ani is just so much more inclusive and personal and service-oriented, with living spaces that are truly grand. The furnishings are not nearly as expensive as Iniala, but I doubt anywhere is.

The GM there is ex-Aman--and a really great guy--as are many of the staff from Amanwella.

We stayed at Villa Divia, so you don't need the entire estate.

I think that Aman represents a form of luxury travel that maybe was at the apex of things in the 80's-90's, but has been surpassed with the private villa movement.

Or at least that's based on my limited experience at places like Iniala, and seems analogous to when Gallivanters wrote "in those days, the travel media did not know or understand Amanresorts and we were often criticized for extolling the virtues of this fledging high-end group..." In the same way, I think that private villas represent the same generational leap, or at least that's my limited experience. It seems to be the experience of Macmyday based upon his Aman and Iniala comparisons.

I only wish I could afford to always travel in style, but alas, I can't! But hopefully we can splurge once per year.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ani 1BR rates on request >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sri lanka 2 villas 4BR $3750 "Rates from 1 to 15 bedrooms available on request."
anguilla 2 villas 4BR $5100 "Rates from 1 to 10 bedrooms available on request."
yao noi 1 villa 6BR $6000 "Rates for fewer than 6 bedrooms available on request."
domincan republic

ani yao noi next to six senses
https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...97!4d98.624117
ani anguilla is not on a beach, and yao noi location hasnt been described as great here

iniala phuket has 3 beachfront villas with no space in between, next to 100 room hotel

locations are always very tough

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by stimpy
BA flies to TFS. IB flies there from ORY as well as many flights from MAD and BCN of course. There are flights from ZRH and FRA I think and several from Scandinavia. But of course I will report back. I stacked both FHR and Marriott Platinum. We'll see.
Yeah, there are also direct flights from DUS. My problem is to fly 4 1/2 hours in Economy or a Business (including stop) which costs an arm and a leg and is more or less equally to Economy.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yeah, there are also direct flights from DUS. My problem is to fly 4 1/2 hours in Economy or a Business (including stop) which costs an arm and a leg and is more or less equally to Economy.
I got business class TFN-LYS via MAD for €390 on IB. There's lots of variety in pricing during the day and week on IB. And by looking at both the north and south airports, which are an hour apart. And it's a bit of a secret so far, but IB Express has the best IFE in the world. And a decent business class.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:15 pm

Better to spend 3 nights in BKK or kul before flying to Nairobi? Only ever spent 1 night at each.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by surftb15
Better to spend 3 nights in BKK or kul before flying to Nairobi? Only ever spent 1 night at each.
If you like the nightlife, BKK is the place. KUL is less mad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.