Where are you going next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's an interesting point that you raise. The idea of hordes of people running around after me to satisfy my every whim does not appeal to me and I find it slightly vulgar. For me a luxury holiday is about location, scenery, privacy and of course good service. Laucala and North look stunning and are on my list, but I can't get my head around Iniala at all.

Originally Posted by DSI
Five years ago Aman was all the rage on this forum and now it's ten bedroom estates with private masseuses, personal trainers, a cadre of butlers, private security, chefs.... etc...

I will be looking forward to reading your review, and I'll be super curious about how you'd rank Iniala, North, Ani and Luacala.

Have a great trip. I'm staying in the red roof inn at the Omaha airport tonight. I'm just hoping the carpet is vacuumed.

I liked the front bedroom in the villa Siam most. May I suggest the movie theatre in the collectors villa, dinner in the collectors glass dining room and a massage in Siam spa room.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
It's an interesting point that you raise. The idea of hordes of people running around after me to satisfy my every whim does not appeal to me and I find it slightly vulgar. For me a luxury holiday is about location, scenery, privacy and of course good service. Laucala and North look stunning and are on my list, but I can't get my head around Iniala at all.
Having been to all 3, I'm curious what you find incongruous with Iniala that is present with North Island or Laucala? Laucala has a higher staff ratio per guest than Iniala and during my stay actually had less guests than Iniala. Any luxury hotel will tailor the service to how you want, which is why Iniala try to find out what level of service want prior to arrival. I don't need much, so therefore the butler just checks in now and again with how I'm doing and if I want anything. It also helps that they setup the kitchen every morning with everything I want, so I can just go help myself when I wake up.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DSI
Five years ago ggghAman was all the rage on this forum and now it's ten bedroom estates with private masseuses, personal trainers, a cadre of butlers, private security, chefs..ffff.. etc...

I will be looking forward toreading your review, and I'll be super curious about how you'd rank Iniala, North, Ani and Luacala.

Have a great trip. I'm staying in the red roof inn at the Omaha airport tonight. I'm just hoping the carpet is vacuumed.

I liked the front bedroom in the villa Siam most. May I suggest the movie theatre in the collectors villa, dinner in the collectors glass dining room and a massage in Siam spa room.
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Having been to all 3, I'm curious what you find incongruous with Iniala that is present with North Island or Laucala? Laucala has a higher staff ratio per guest than

Iniala and during my stay actually had less guests than Iniala. Any luxury hotel will tailor the service to how you want, which is why Iniala try to find out what level of service want prior to arrival. I don't need much, so therefore the butler just checks in now and again with how I'm doing and if I want anything. It also helps that they setup the kitchen every morning with everything I want, so I can just go help myself when I wake up.
The difference in my mind - and this might be entirely wrong - is that North and Laucala are both located in outstandingly beautiful spots with the added benefit of amazing food and service. Iniala is in a pleasant spot but the main plus is the outrageously good service. I don't like the design at all but that's a matter of taste.

Clearly it's up to everyone to decide how they want to spend their holidays. I was responding to the assertion that the Luxury Forum is now all about ten bedroom estates and a cadre of butlers and at least for me that isn't the case.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
at least for me that isn't the case.
Your are not alone, can't see it either as I'm sure many don't. Nevertheless we have discussions about it and I don't have a problem with it.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:09 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

The difference in my mind - and this might be entirely wrong - is that North and Laucala are both located in outstandingly beautiful spots with the added benefit of amazing food and service. Iniala is in a pleasant spot but the main plus is the outrageously good service. I don't like the design at all but that's a matter of taste.

Clearly it's up to everyone to decide how they want to spend their holidays. I was responding to the assertion that the Luxury Forum is now all about ten bedroom estates and a cadre of butlers and at least for me that isn't the case.
Fair enough. One could make the same argument about Marriott vs. Aman, and many do, both on the forum and with their pocket book. And like you, they are correct insofar as it's their decision.

It is great, however, that you've at least seen Iniala in person. I remember thinking when I saw the website, "well this will be interesting," but when you enter and see the space its a whole different ballgame as you well know.

I haven't been to North, but we did spend a lot of time in Fregate and I really don't think it would appeal to you given the high staff ratios and you might enjoy the Four Seasons, Maia or the Six Senses even more. The Seychelles are beautiful and I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you end up.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:22 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I love the way you phrase this. Reminds me of the first time we stayed at the St. Regis New York and we went out for 30 minutes and our room was made up. People were watching us and executed the housekeeping really well.

Aman also does this, watching when you leave and then cleaning up.

I wouldn't use the word hordes necessarily, but a lot of full-service luxury resorts have butlers as well, kids clubs for children (which often only end up being your children), and a whole bevy of services.

I agree with your point, though. Luxury traveling, as well as fine dining places, or even first class air travel there are lots of people attending to you whether you see them or not. I'm entirely understanding of your point, too, as this not being your style. I sometimes enjoy more minimalist approaches to travel and had good luck with a place call "El Palauet Living" in BCN last summer and am increasingly interested in AirBNB. We booked a house in CPT for our upcoming trip through Luxury Retreats (now AirBnB) and maybe that's something you'd like more?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:39 am

Hi,

I am planning a family trip to Thailand in July end; heard a lot about its beauty, culture and cuisine. We're planning to start from Chiang Mai, then Ko Samui, still confused about further places to visit. I found some interesting places - Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Nan, Pai, Pattaya, Phrae. Please suggest if you know more good places to visit and hotels to stay in Thailand.

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:20 am

A little weekend trip to London in June, staying at Dukes Hotel and dining around the corner at the Ritz.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by crainandrea22
Hi,

I am planning a family trip to Thailand in July end; heard a lot about its beauty, culture and cuisine. We're planning to start from Chiang Mai, then Ko Samui, still confused about further places to visit. I found some interesting places - Mae Hong Son, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Nan, Pai, Pattaya, Phrae. Please suggest if you know more good places to visit and hotels to stay in Thailand.

Thanks
I'd been in Thailand for many times - almost one or two times spending my holidays there every year in recent years (I am from China). Chiang Mai is an innerland town with a great number of temples. Public transportation isn't great anyway in Thailand, so it's better to get yourself a scooter (small motor bike) for freedom of going around - not a best choice if you are travelling with your family of course. I rent a car at very reasonable price as I wanted to keep my wife and little daughter safe.

Beautiful beaches are true treasures of Thailand. I took my PADI courses and became a certified OW diver in Samui. Amazing underwater "gardens"! Too many places to visit. Just explore them at your pace! I believe you will enjoy your trip there!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 9, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reason: Edited out link that can only be in a signature file, which poster is not yet eligible for
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Heading to Beijing, Hong Kong and Seoul in June with the wife and our 7 year old son. Singapore first class, followed by 4 nights at the Rosewood Beijing in a Rosewood suite, then on to Hong Kong for 4 nights at the Four Seasons in a Deluxe Harbour View Suite. Still debating hotel for Seoul, but looking at 4S. All booked through the wonderful DavidO! Any thoughts or critique of the arrangements are welcome!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by eba205
Heading to Beijing, Hong Kong and Seoul in June with the wife and our 7 year old son. Singapore first class, followed by 4 nights at the Rosewood Beijing in a Rosewood suite, then on to Hong Kong for 4 nights at the Four Seasons in a Deluxe Harbour View Suite. Still debating hotel for Seoul, but looking at 4S. All booked through the wonderful DavidO! Any thoughts or critique of the arrangements are welcome!
How about this hotel in Seoul...

http://www.lottehotel.com/signielseoul/en/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:46 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by eba205
Think you'll do just fine with the Four Seasons in Seoul, very highly regarded (got a guest who loved it so much they keep returning - well, to Seoul, but they always stay at that one!). Great hard product and very good club from their experience.

Have a look at The Shilla as well as an alternative though.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:29 pm

Seabourn Encore for 7 nights in the Med.
Pre - Grand Bretagne, Athens
Post - Hotel Santa Caterina, Amalfi

And one night at the Holiday Inn Naples before flight home
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
O Monot, Beruit next weekend
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:52 am
Suspended

We're planning to have a 5 days trip to Hawaii this end of June. The itinerary were not totally fixed yet but I have quite searched for travel destinations already. Well, its just a budgeted travel and we already have some few choices of cheap beach hotels to stay. Looking forward for our long trip vacation. Lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.